PDA

View Full Version : CW Staff or DXF users

jgowrie
04-01-2011, 02:37 PM
I decided to give the DXF importer a look to see if it can help me streamline my work. Would someone be able to possibly clear up my questions. Without being able to bring the DXF file into Designer, I'm still not clear on whether it will save me time or add time compared to my current method. Also not clear on whether it can even do want I would want it to do.

Attached are a few files:

Centerline results.mpc - this is an image I needed to engrave a while back. This is how I want any finished results to look if I was to use the DXF import option

DXF_import window.jpg - this is what the DXF looks like within the demo version of the DXF plug-in. The DXF file was created with Inkscape.

centerline results.jpg - this is just a screenshot of the mpc file for preview

drawing-1.dxf - this is the DXF created by Inkscape which was imported in the DXF Import software.

IMG-1732.jpg - This is just an example of a complicated vector image which I engraved by placing the image into a font so I could Vcarve it with the Centerline Plug-in. This is pretty indicative of the type of work I use my CW machine for on a regular basis.

From what I can tell, I would need to assign depth profiles to the lines of the DXF file. My concern is that I won't be able to get the profiles available to match what the image actually looks like. Is it possible to use the DXF import feature and obtain EXACTLY what I obtained in the "centerline results.mpc" file?

Thanks in advance for taking a look at this.

John

I know I can sound a bit picky, especially concerning the way the machine handles what I ask it to do. Truth is, this little marvel has saved me lot's of time and allowed me to add a level of detail that was difficult if not impossible back when I did all this stuff with a handheld COLT router! SO, I want to say thank you to the CW staff and all the forum participants and apologize if I may have rubbed anyone the wrong way in the past.