PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a machine again.

pontiak
03-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Have not been here for a few years. I bought a machine from Sears in 2007. It worked great for a few projects.I returned it after many problems.Are the new machines less trouble?

AskBud
03-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Have not been here for a few years. I bought a machine from Sears in 2007. It worked great for a few projects.I returned it after many problems.Are the new machines less trouble?
The short answer is "Absolutely"! Just make sure to get the "C" model, as it comes standard with the new CarveTight chuck.

I feel that most of the problems revolved around the old QC chuck or lack of understanding on the user's part.
Adding a top mounted vacuum also eliminated lots of dust clean-up!
http://www.wix.com/littleredwoodshop/cnccorner/dust-collection
AskBud

dougmsbbs
03-29-2011, 10:41 AM
I bought a second machine last fall, one of the new 'C' models. I can't say it's been entirely trouble free (waiting on parts right now), but they are a lot better. LHR, as always, is taking care of me. All in all, it's a nice machine. Runs quieter, and in my opinion carves better too with the new CarveTight chuck. With some kind of dust collector you'll avoid a LOT of the problems we were having with the machine.

Am I completely happy with it, what with the down time? Of course not. Am I sorry I bought it? Not a chance! Love it!

lawrence
03-29-2011, 11:01 AM
I have a mid-age model (newer updates but not the C) and (touch/knock on wood) have not had any problems. I think a lot of that may have been due to the experiences of others in how to best care for their machine-- I did a lot of learning and maintenance before I did any carving.

I also quickly added on a Rock Chuck before the QC caused any problems.

Dust collection helps a lot too.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy again,
Lawrence

gregsolano
03-29-2011, 12:58 PM
I bought a used C machine and other than two broken bits which with some adjustments on my part as far as setting the
depth of cuts for multiple passes I have had no problems. I spent days reading through this forum and seeing other peoples
problems and solutions so when I have run into minor issues I already knew what to do. I love my machine!

Capt Bruce
03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
It's a greatly improved machine that has evolved into the current C model. Personally I'm very pleased with my later 2009 B model. Like others here I quickly add the Rock Chuck to get away from the QC and it's problems and dust collection has made all the difference in clean operation, reduced maintenance requirements and my overall pleasure in using the machine. More time carving and less time cleaning up. I'd have no hesitation in buying a new second machine and may soon need to do just that. Welcome back Pontiak!