PDA

View Full Version : starting with a non-rectangular piece?

dvoigt
03-28-2011, 09:23 PM
So I know when I start the CW software I have to enter a dimension of the work piece that I'm starting with. What if I don't want to start with a rectangular?

Case in point, this cross that I designed:
http://handmadewoodgifts.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/personal-cross/
I drew this up in AutoCAD and I had a guy CNC cut some templates so that I could use a flush trim bit on the router table to make them out of various woods. I thought a CW would work to add some 3D detail on the face of it, or maybe even make cut the complete cross shape and all.

Ok so to my point... I don't want to use a full rectangular piece of wood and have all that waste area. So is there a way to optimize my wood usage?

Thanks,
Derek

skeeterman
03-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Build a sled to fit your piece in while carving

AskBud
03-28-2011, 09:53 PM
So I know when I start the CW software I have to enter a dimension of the work piece that I'm starting with. What if I don't want to start with a rectangular?

I drew this up in AutoCAD and I had a guy CNC cut some templates so that I could use a flush trim bit on the router table to make them out of various woods. I thought a CW would work to add some 3D detail on the face of it, or maybe even make cut the complete cross shape and all.

Ok so to my point... I don't want to use a full rectangular piece of wood and have all that waste area. So is there a way to optimize my wood usage?

Thanks,
Derek
I think if you drop down to my "Download" link, below, and review my lesson on the "Multi-Use Sled" you can get an idea of how to mount your material on the sled. You will still need to design within your rectangle, as always, and then make sure to properly align your work piece on the sled.
AskBud

mtylerfl
03-29-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks,
Derek

Hi Derek,

Welcome to the forum! When you start a project, the board will always be rectangular, as you know. However, the actual piece you carve does not have to be that uniform...BUT, the sled does.

There is an excellent article about sled usage, written by one of our fellow CW forum members. I think you will find just about all the info you need in that particular write-up for what you want to do. Of course, feel free to adapt those basic principles to suit your situation. Here is a link to that article...

ISSUE 7 April 2008 – Carving Jigs – Carrier Boards, Sleds and Rails (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr08.pdf)

You'll find we try to be a helpful bunch here, so if anything is unclear you can always ask! We've all "been there" ourselves and are eager to offer assistance to others when needed!

dvoigt
03-29-2011, 05:12 PM
wow that is alot of info there.... a bit too much to digest right now with 0 experience on the CW. I see the compactness of the machine comes at the price of needing to support a moving piece of wood...

lynnfrwd
03-29-2011, 05:45 PM
wow that is alot of info there.... a bit too much to digest right now with 0 experience on the CW. I see the compactness of the machine comes at the price of needing to support a moving piece of wood...

Yes, but that wood can be up to 12' in length or max. 20 lbs.