PDA

View Full Version : Help please with importing this file

robertdpittman
03-28-2011, 03:51 PM
I am new to STL imports. As a matter of fact have never imported one. A friend sent me this dxf and STL for a guitar bridge. He created it in BobCAD v23 and "saved as" DXF and STL. I cannot import either one. Any advice would be helpful.

lawrence
03-28-2011, 04:10 PM
do you own either the STL importer or the DXF importer? The way the carvewright software is designed you buy the basics and then pay for extra features if you need them. This keeps the cost of the basic software as low as possible and ensures that we do not pay for unneeded features.

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/cwsoftware.htm

There is a demo available - if you have the most current version of the designer software you can find it either under the top "file" button, "import", "import dxf (or stl)" and the demo is there

Hope this helps,
Lawrence

robertdpittman
03-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I purchased the dxf importer a while ago. I have imported several files that I created using Adobe Illustrtor and saved as dxf. That works like a charm. When I attempt to import the files in the attached zip file, I get the warning "not all of the dxf file" was imported and there is nothing there.

When I try to import the STL (using the demo) I get "invalid or corrupted file"

DLG
03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
I opened your Zip file and read the two DXF files in my CAD program. One was empty and the other I had to save_as DXF from my CAD program before Designer would recognize the elements. I've attached the new DXF I created and a pdf of it with a reference dimension added to see if this is what you want. This is the best I can do with my software.

The added pdf is a 3D image of the other DXF file, it is 3D so no 2D elements the DXF format can save.

eelamb
03-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Not all STL formats can be imported into designer if they do not meet the strict regulations as to STL. LG can better explain it than I, but I have seen some software that makes STL formatted files are not compatible with designer. Most deal with water tightness of stl design, which some software does not meet.