PDA

View Full Version : Rose Motif Serving Tray - Project of the Month April 2011

mtylerfl
03-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for APRIL 2011), called the Rose Motif Serving Tray. This beautiful serving tray features a delicate rose carving relief on each side panel to lend a unique elegance to a fairly standard woodworking project! The side panels have recessed dados for easy assembly.

You may want to consider making one (or more) as a Mother’ Day gift to go along with a nice breakfast in bed served on the tray!

The project requires no special bits - the main components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine. The finished dimensions of the assembled Serving Tray are about 18½" wide x 7" tall x 14" deep.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Serving_Tray_Side.mpc
• Serving_Tray_Rails.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Sides (two): 0.75" x 8" x 22.5" (two needed)
Rails: 0.75" x 4" x 25"
Tray Surface :½" Oak or Birch veneer Ply:
cut to size... 12" x 17.5"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Clamps, wood glue, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Rose Motif Serving Tray made from Oak veneer plywood and Select Pine:

• Minwax oil-based Red Oak stain #215 on tray surface
• No stain on the sides or rails - I left them natural
• 3 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss spray
• 2 coats water-based Zinsser Bulls Eye Ultimate Polyurethane Satin (brushed)

Apply your choice of stains, paints and clearcoats. NOTE: The tray surface should be coated with a durable clearcoat to protect the surface and make cleanup of any spills an easy task.

dougmsbbs
03-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Thats real nice, Michael!

But anyone who makes one better realize their wife will want breakfast in bed every morning!

mtylerfl
03-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Thats real nice, Michael!

But anyone who makes one better realize their wife will want breakfast in bed every morning!

Ya know, it's funny - I was actually making something else for the POM when my wife suggested this idea and yes - she said she expected breakfast in bed on Mother's Day. I'm thinking my "revenge" might be to take a photo of her before she gets "gussied up" while eating breakfast using the tray - may cut down on the breakfast in bed demands!

Capt Bruce
03-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Very nice project of the month design Michael,

By the way if I were you I'd stay away from the early morning camera idea on the 8th of May. Otherwise we may not be seeing you in Houston later that week after all. And it would be a shame to have to send flowers to the hospital rather than buying you a congratulations drink for all the POMs after class instead. All the best.

dougmsbbs
03-27-2011, 05:33 PM
may cut down on the breakfast in bed demands!

May cut down on that whole being married thing, too!

mtylerfl
03-27-2011, 07:56 PM
You guys are right...better to play it safe! (but only because I want to get to the CW Conference fairly intact and still married)

rcdages
03-28-2011, 01:07 AM
Michael,

Once again an outstanding design.

Love the Roses.

I am going to do this for my sister, she loves breakfast in bed and roses, Carl her husband will see that she gets breakfast in bed.

lawrence
03-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Very nice project-

I don't subscribe to the carver's club but I wanted to put out a thank you anyway for the hard work and thought that goes into each month's project. They are always appropriate to the season/a holiday and are definately "out of the box" type projects.

Well done and thanks for sharing
Lawrence

Smoken D
03-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Lawrence, it is the Project of the Month club, not the carver's club, 2 seperate things. Can't wait to carve this one out and paint it. Will be nice!

mtylerfl
03-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Very nice project-

I don't subscribe to the carver's club but I wanted to put out a thank you anyway for the hard work and thought that goes into each month's project. They are always appropriate to the season/a holiday and are definately "out of the box" type projects.

Well done and thanks for sharing
Lawrence

Thank you, Lawrence! I appreciate your encouragement!

Edit: As SmokenD mentioned, these are projects for the Project of the Month subscribers ($120 annually) - the Carver's Club is a different item ($150 annually). Thanks SmokenD for pointing that out - I missed that reference myself until you made the addition/correction!

Capt Bruce
03-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I keep coming back to this thread Michael and the three photos. Just beautiful, especially the roses motif on the ends and I can't wait for the project to be released. The wood is waiting, the machine is ready; all we need are the MPCs. Thanks again for bringing us new inspiration every month about what the CarveWright can help us do Mike. My Salute

alljoy
03-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Very nice project indeed Michael. I really want to join the POM club now. How long did it take to carve? Could the cuts easily be made with band or scroll saw as my cutting bit is broken and hasn't been replaced yet? I'm sure this would save time in the carving too, right.

Thanks,
Joyce

mtylerfl
03-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Thank you, everyone!

Joyce, each decorative side will take 1¾ hr on BEST or 3¼ hr on OPTIMAL (I used the OPTIMAL setting on mine).
Yes, you could do the cutouts using your band or scroll saw. If you don't have the CW machine do the cutouts, the carve/cut time will be less in either case (probably save about 20 minutes or so on each panel). The rails took about 48 minutes having the machine do the dado and cut outs. (If you have a table saw, you could make the rails on it in about 10 or 15 minutes.)

The only thing you need to keep in mind is to reassign the cut paths to a shallow carve/cut with your carving bit (since you don't have a cutting bit replacement yet.) You will need that to make an accurate outline around the panels for a guide to cut them out on your band or scroll saw. Just remove the cut path assignment, reassign the 1/16" carving bit (1/16 ballnose) and assign a depth of say, maybe 1/32" to score the surface with the outline.

I believe SharonB does this type of procedure (i.e., doing a shallow outline and cuts out parts manually with a band saw), but I think she is using the 1/8" cutting bit to do the "scoring". In this case it won't matter which you use, but on some projects, using the 1/16" ballnose might throw off some critical dimensions - makes an offset of about 1/32 to 1/16 in relation to the outline (like a box project or something along those lines).

Smoken D
04-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Got mine done. Finally warmed up around here so that I could get the machine out and going again yesterday. Tomorrow is my little lady's birthday and she will get it then.

mtylerfl
04-07-2011, 07:42 PM
WOW! That looks fantastic! Great work!

jaroot
04-07-2011, 07:49 PM
I also don't belong to the project of the month club but I too appreciate your efforts. Just seeing the POMs causes me to think of all kinds of things to do. Now if I could just decide on something, anything!

mtylerfl
04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I also don't belong to the project of the month club but I too appreciate your efforts. Just seeing the POMs causes me to think of all kinds of things to do. Now if I could just decide on something, anything!

Thank you very much. Making up my mind which projects to create is an issue for me too! (I have to make a "project decision" twice a month.) So many ideas - not enough lifetimes to do them all.

AllThingsWood
04-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I am having trouble carving out the side panels for this project. The first panel carved perfectly. When I carved the second panel and it went to cut out the perimeter, it shifted and cutout into the center carved area, taking out the square perimeter. What do I need to do to correct this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

mtylerfl
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I am having trouble carving out the side panels for this project. The first panel carved perfectly. When I carved the second panel and it went to cut out the perimeter, it shifted and cutout into the center carved area, taking out the square perimeter. What do I need to do to correct this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Gene,

Sorry you had a problem. Most likely it is a tracking issue (easily corrected). Please read the following Tips and Tricks to see if that helps you determine the problem and make corrections:
ISSUE 27 January – February 2010 – Maintaining Accurate Board Tracking (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan_Feb10.pdf)

AllThingsWood
04-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Micheal T
Thanks for your help. I referred to the tips and trick article and tried putting tape on my maple board. I found out that the board was too slick for the roller. After applying the tape and rerunning the end panel, everything came out great. It is a good looking project, thanks again.

mtylerfl
04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Micheal T
Thanks for your help. I referred to the tips and trick article and tried putting tape on my maple board. I found out that the board was too slick for the roller. After applying the tape and rerunning the end panel, everything came out great. It is a good looking project, thanks again.

Excellent, Gene - good news! Glad it came out alright! If/when you get a chance, we would love to see you post a photo or two of your project in the Gallery section!

SharonB
04-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Just finished the Rose Tray and it's one of my favorite POM projects. Because of the plywood I selected for the tray bottom I ended up spraying the whole tray with Hammered Bronze paint and then used Golden's Interference paints on the flowers. The
rose pannels have a very "soft" look.

DocWheeler
04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Sharon,

You do beautiful work.
I bought some of that interference paint when you first showed a project (or was that Floyd?) but haven't used it.
I guess it is time to try it out.

mtylerfl
04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Sharon,

That is absolutely gorgeous. I just hollered for my wife to come to the computer and look at your pics...she said, "I want mine to look like that!". Stunning job, as is your custom!

fwharris
04-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Just finished the Rose Tray and it's one of my favorite POM projects. Because of the plywood I selected for the tray bottom I ended up spraying the whole tray with Hammered Bronze paint and then used Golden's Interference paints on the flowers. The
rose pannels have a very "soft" look.

Sharon,

Fantastic finish/paint job! Your color choice really gives it the elegant lady look!

Ken!!!!

I use the Pearlescent paint medium. It is similar to Sharon's but I think they are just a bit deeper in color.

liquidguitars
04-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Sharon,
very lovely fit for a prince and princess..

gregsolano
04-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Really beautiful paint job, I wish I had your talent.

Kenm810
04-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Very Stunning Paint and Finish on your Rose Tray Project, Well Done!

chebytrk
04-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Stunning as always SharonB. Can you post again where you get those paints please? FWHarris do you have a link for the paints that you use? Thanks all, JerryB

SharonB
04-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Chebytrk..... You should be able to get the Golden Interference paints at any Michael's store or probably any other craft/artist supply store. They would be in the section with the artists oil paints. Or, just type in Golden Paints and it should take you to their main site. They are not cheap but they go a long way. Also, you have to put then over a base coat of paint or they don't show up. On a project I'm taking to the workshop I used them over regular acrylic paint and they come out a lot brighter. On the rose tray the the hammered bronze color base gave it that subdued feeling.

lynnfrwd
04-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Very romantic finish to your tray! Lovely job as usual!!

fwharris
04-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Jerry,

The acrylic paints I use are just the standard craft hobby paints that you get at any craft/artist supply store in the 2 oz. bottles. You can get some with the pearlization medium in them and you can also get the medium to be added to any paint. I did some searching on Sharon's interference paint and the pearlization paint. The "Golden" is the brand name and I think you can also get just the interference medium.

Pearlized & Iridescent: Vivid pearl base colors with a shimmering effect especially when viewed in direct light. Work best over Opaque White or Opaque Black. Iridescent Colors have a shift from a lighter hue on direct views to a dark hue on side-cast views.

GOLDEN Interference Acrylic colors offer a unique "interference flip." When viewed from different perspectives, Interference colors flip between a bright opalescent color and its complement. When applied over white or lighter surfaces, the Interference color is less obvious and the "flip" effect is more obvious. When applied over black or darker surfaces, the Interference color is more obvious and the "flip" effect is less obvious. The Color Travel (C.T.) Interference colors offer not just one "flip", but multiple tones between two points on a spectrum. Interference Acrylic colors offer artists a range of reflective properties and interplay with light. Interference colors are relatively transparent, allowing artists the ability to glaze with unique effects. Enhance landscapes with Interference Blue or Interference Green. Add life to wildlife artwork with Interference Red or Interference Violet. Combine Interference colors with small amounts of color to achieve unique color ranges. Add gels for impasto effects or thin with mediums for glazing applications. Add a very small amount of black to Interference colors to produce deeper, richer, opalescent effects.

The GOLDEN Iridescent colors achieve their reflective properties by synthetically reproducing several natural phenomena - the nacreous, or pearlescent, qualities found in fish scales or the dust of a butterfly's wing, and the shiny and reflective qualities found in certain metals and minerals.

tierman
04-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Sharon,
Beautiful job! The help and info on this forum is PRICELESS!
Roger