PDA

View Full Version : Would you purchase a "Dust collection upgrade kit" for your machine?

Fletcher
03-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey Folks,

As you know, or should know, the CW runs MUCH more reliably when some type of dust collection system is used with your machine. There are several options available right here on the forum, my own carve file included. They all work well, but there are some issues around warranty and what not...

I have the means available to me to develop and produce a plastic bolt-in dust collection hood that would work much like my carve file, as well as a replacement lid for the machine that would fit around the hose with a nice "finished" look - and HOPEFULLY LHR(we could work together here...), keep the machine within warranty specs. I can't name a price right now because this is just a thought, but it wouldn't blow the budget.

How many of you would be interested in something like this IF, I repeat "IF", it kept your machine under warranty? Please reply to the poll...

THANKS!
Fletcher

DurhamDev
03-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Unless someone was to carve one themselves, I see no reason to vote "no" on this one. Smart idea here.

jaustin
03-26-2011, 10:04 PM
I would of bought one.

is there a warranty issue using your carve file?

Fletcher
03-26-2011, 10:57 PM
I would of bought one.

is there a warranty issue using your carve file?

If you cut the lid, you are "modifying" your machine.

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2011, 11:00 PM
I have 4 machines and 1 Dust Collector Hood.... I would buy one if I liked the design... TOP of the board design... I have even toyed with the idea of 2 inch copper pipe laid along the length of the frame of the machine near the sand paper belts with a slot cut in it to suck the sawdust out with a Elbow of copper up and out.... AND.... the "Dust Dragon"..... A Tethered very flexible 2 inch dust collection hose mounted on a bracket on the truck and to the machine frame in the center.... A Pivot so when the bit went to the bit flag or the left side the hose stopped SHORT and did not interfere with the Bit Checks... I am working on that.... Found some Plastic Transfer Hoses in 2 inch with Wire inside that is also Anti Static for the Food Industry... More on the Dust Dragon later in the year...

AL

fwharris
03-26-2011, 11:22 PM
If I did not have one and was not making them I would get one as I know how much it helps the machine....

easybuilt
03-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I have purchased two for my two CW's from FWHarris- RingNeckBlues.They work GREAT!!

Fletcher
03-26-2011, 11:27 PM
If I did not have one and was not making them I would get one as I know how much it helps the machine....

Thanks FW!

Fletcher
03-27-2011, 05:48 PM
All these views and only 13 voters??? Don't be shy folks, just click "yes" or "no" - no message required.

Old Salt
03-27-2011, 06:48 PM
add one more option (have made my own)

Fletcher
03-28-2011, 11:13 PM
add one more option (have made my own)

Me too... Might have bought one if there was the option though! :)

lawrence
03-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Me too... Might have bought one if there was the option though! :)

me three

I am considering adding a "dust skirt" add on to the dc I've made-- I'm trying to figure out how to do it in a way that won't interfere with the movement of the bit but will still contain ALL the dust down where the dust collector is. The only problem I can really see is that it would interfere with viewing the cutting happening (and that is half of the fun of the CW

Lawrence

DLG
03-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Lawrence attached are two pdf files showing a dc I've been working on. I have a prototype installed and working on my machine with a 650 cfm dc. I need to work on the skirt angle and length some more, I'm getting saw dust on the belt next to my work piece. I can add a photo tomorrow if you want to see my crude prototype.

fwharris
03-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Thanks FW!

My pleasure!!!

lawrence
03-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Lawrence attached are two pdf files showing a dc I've been working on. I have a prototype installed and working on my machine with a 650 cfm dc. I need to work on the skirt angle and length some more, I'm getting saw dust on the belt next to my work piece. I can add a photo tomorrow if you want to see my crude prototype.

Thanks Larry, looking forward to the pics

PM sent
Lawrence

DLG
03-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Here are photos of my setup. I carved the bottom piece, the three vertical pieces are from scraps. The metal top is .050" steel, next time I'll use .040" aluminum. The metal hose adapter piece is from a Home Depot fitting next time I'll make it aluminum. I shaped one end oval to fit into my dc piece and I tried to keep the other end as round as I could to make fitting to the Aluminum hose easy. I'm working on an MPC to get the four pieces out of one piece of 1/2" wood. My previous post showed the drawing I'm working on.

The reason for the metal top piece is an attempt to minimize ESD (electrostatic discharge) problems. We have extremely low humidity most of the time. I've run aluminum straps or bare copper wire between all connections.

Lawrence I haven't gotten your PM.

Larry G

gregsolano
03-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Looks great, I like the bit storage incorporated into the collection system!

alan.galbraith
03-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Fletcher,

It seems we've lost your original intention. But I would buy one, if design and price are right.

Capt Bruce
03-29-2011, 04:58 PM
I have a prototype installed and working on my machine with a 650 cfm dc. I need to work on the skirt angle and length some more, I'm getting saw dust on the belt next to my work piece.

Hi Larry,
Not a crude prototype at all. You've worked out several details I'm trying to design into my system as well. One thought about the dust you noted on your belt. Could the downdraft part of your system be pulling dust away from the front edge DC nozel, that then gets caught on the rough belt surface and just can't keep moving? Just a suspicion.

jaroot
04-07-2011, 06:51 PM
I just voted and I guess I need to prefess my yes vote with depends on the price and if I hadn't already made a couple.

Fletcher
04-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I just voted and I guess I need to prefess my yes vote with depends on the price and if I hadn't already made a couple.

You obviously understand how critical dust collection is then! Thanks for the vote.