PDA

View Full Version : routing inside a carved region

bsatc09
03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I've been trying to figure out how you tell the software editor you produce a routed edge inside a carved region. I know how to do the edge routing but can't seem to figure out to rout inside an edge. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Bruce

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2011, 09:28 PM
I think you would draw a rectangle the same size as the Carve Region and assign the bit and depth..... Taking into account the diameter of the bit.... But this is something I have never played with.... Ask Bud will know.... He will make a Video if there is not one.... Good Stuff...

The machine should do the Carve Region first so it should work... OR.... Just thought of this.... Use the Feather Tool.... Here is a .6 deep Region and a 1/2 inch feather....

AL

fwharris
03-26-2011, 09:51 PM
I've been trying to figure out how you tell the software editor you produce a routed edge inside a carved region. I know how to do the edge routing but can't seem to figure out to rout inside an edge. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce,

Here is a great example of a routed edge. It was given to us by our lost carving buddy ChrisAlb. (Anyone have any contact lately?)

Al is right about setting a shape for the routing line. Most times you just duplicate or use the carve region out line and the set the "in set" for the type of bit being used.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57307&postcount=8

bsatc09
03-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Thank you for the information. I downloaded the link and tried it. I managed to get the routed edge I've been after, but I'm confused about one thing. How did he manage to carve out the interior??? I've tried but when I do so I don't have the carve region high lighted. I've tried drawing another box but then things get all funky. The example is perfect for what I'm after, I just can't seem to figure the rest out :).

Bruce

cestout
03-27-2011, 03:24 PM
I just tried what I thought would work and it did - in Designer anyway. Make a rectangle area and center it, copy and paste it on the other one. Make one of the two a carved out area and for the other select the bit you want and set the depth to the same as the carved out depth. You should be able to put any patterns you want in the carved out area.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
03-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Bruce,

Here is a great example of a routed edge. It was given to us by our lost carving buddy ChrisAlb. (Anyone have any contact lately?)

Al is right about setting a shape for the routing line. Most times you just duplicate or use the carve region out line and the set the "in set" for the type of bit being used.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57307&postcount=8

I traded emails with ChrisAlb this week for the first time in a while... He is doing well and was in a truck stop using the Internet. He is happily doing Over the road Trucking. He Welcomes Calls.... He has the same old number and can talk on the road as he uses a blue tooth. Need the number let me know. He said to say "HI" to the forum. I made a post the other day about him as a side note. But I post SO much....

AL

Capt Bruce
03-27-2011, 06:07 PM
I'd be watching on screen to make sure that the interior "edge routing" area will not chop into any raised lettering or pattern that is near the interior knives of the bit. It's always the tallest blade of grass that gets cut first.

In that example provided by ChrisAlb I thought that might happen but the height of the first step on the contoured edge must be the same height as the nearby lettering. Only a few thousandths save it.