PDA

View Full Version : Removing QC collars for use with new CarveTight system

qsligh
03-26-2011, 08:07 PM
To all,
I'm having a heck of a time removing the QC collars from the 1/4" bits for use with my new upgraded CT system. The 1/2" with a little heat from the heat gun, came off with little or no effort. The darn 1/4 bits no matter how much heat put on them, the collar will not slide off. I don't want to pound on the ends of fear that I'll mess up the shaft. Any ideas that anyone can provide me will be a blessing.

eelamb
03-26-2011, 08:58 PM
You need more heat, the heat gun will not give you enough to remove the collar for the 1/4" bit. Once heated (HOT) I still had to strike the bottom to get it broke loose.

AskBud
03-26-2011, 09:18 PM
I heated my 1/4" bits in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Then, using two oven mitts, remove the two screws. Most bits should drop out easily. If not, use a vise or slot in a board to make a make-shift arbor press, Take a large nail to tap the bit out of the adapter.

The 1/2" bits need no heat, as they are held in place by a nut assembly rather than the screws.
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I use a DEEP Socket as a place to heat it and a flat punch to tap it out... into the socket... Heat is the key.... I have a little Crack Torch that I use.... NO... not for Crack... I use it to wave over the Epoxy Dome Tags to take the Air Bubbles out.... LOL....

You should have seen the Girl's eyes at the local Hardware Store when I asked if she had a Crack Torch....

AL

DickB
03-27-2011, 07:44 AM
15 seconds with a propane torch worked for me.

qsligh
03-27-2011, 09:56 AM
LOL, I can imangine! I can tell by your posts that you're an "Ole Salt" as I so the terminology is a welcome laugh.. Thanks for the advice, I'll run down to my local Lowes and get one of those "crack pipes!"

qsligh
03-27-2011, 09:57 AM
The set screws came out with no issue using the heat gun, but the remaining assembly has proven to be a PIA, lol. I guess the answer is heat and plent of it. Thanks...

Digitalwoodshop
03-27-2011, 05:29 PM
LOL, I can imangine! I can tell by your posts that you're an "Ole Salt" as I so the terminology is a welcome laugh.. Thanks for the advice, I'll run down to my local Lowes and get one of those "crack pipes!"

My past is showing.... Retired Navy Chief... Old Salt for sure... 27 countries and a million Sea Stories.... don't get me started... I will get banned.... LOL....

AL

FCC(SW) USN Retired in 95

Crack Torch below....

Capt Bruce
03-27-2011, 06:23 PM
As I was often told "When in doubt, ask the Chief!" It looks like us old Shellbacks are schooling again.

Digitalwoodshop
03-27-2011, 07:13 PM
I was just on the forum on Military dot Com.... Lots of Chief stuff flying around... Can a Chief really be Wrong.... LOL.....

Yes, I have been a Shellback since 77 and the first Australia Trip.... Made Golden Shellback in 81 going over at 00 and The Dateline and a 3rd time in 89 on the 2nd trip to Australia. Shellback is crossing the Equator and a little initiation.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

Yes, I make myself laugh at my terminology... I sure do show my age....

AL

eelamb
03-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Al and Bruce then this should look familiar!

skeeterman
03-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Al , as i recall when i crossed in 81, the little initiation was more like a day of torture, but all in the good ole naval tradition of going from pollywag to shellback
sure do miss them days
steve

Capt Bruce
03-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Al and Bruce then this should look familiar!

Curse you friend Eddie,

(And congratulations on your Crossing) now you've got me thinking about scanning the originals and making them into carved plaques. That's going to be a lot of detail to clean up if it can even be done. Maybe I'll just design an appropriate set of Neptune, sea dragon and seashell themed frames. So many projects, so little time . . . .

I never caught up with my Father who crossed 24 times during his 38 Navy years.

Digitalwoodshop
03-28-2011, 11:49 AM
WOW... 38 times....

That would be a really GREAT pattern.... I see a market for them..... There is a big Military Market... Many Military have what we call.. "The I Love ME Wall..."...

AL

eelamb
03-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Capt bruce, sent you a pm but it is full I have an ai of the seabee's logo you want.