PDA

View Full Version : Change the board color

earlyrider
03-25-2011, 01:22 AM
I would like to change the board color to light gray or white (or maybe lavender?). How do you do it? Adding a JPG in the Woods1 file is to no avail; my brain hurts! Ken, I know you did it and described how, but CRS disease has debilitated me. Too much CA fumes I guess; darn dinosaurs anyway!!
Help me ObeKen, you're my only hope! (Unless someone else can enlighten me).
Ron

chebytrk
03-25-2011, 08:15 AM
I would like to change the board color to light gray or white (or maybe lavender?). How do you do it? Adding a JPG in the Woods1 file is to no avail; my brain hurts! Ken, I know you did it and described how, but CRS disease has debilitated me. Too much CA fumes I guess; darn dinosaurs anyway!!
Ron
ObeKen says, "You must feel the sawdust earlyrider, feel the sawdust". : )

TerryT
03-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Sorry about your brain.
Sounds like you are doing it (mostly) right. If I remember, you put a 512 by 512 pic of the wood or color you want into the woods1 folder with the proper name. That is where I suspect your mistake is. Check the name of the pic and make sure it is in line with the rest i.e. "Pine_lavender",etc.

bjbethke
03-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Ron

Just use a Photoshop type program, make a square 512 x 512 Pixels, and pick a color, save as a JPEG.

Name the square; I use the pine image (Drop down window) name type. [Pine_White], for the white square. (No Spaces)

If you have a Saw Mill and cut your own wood than take a photo of your wood types and use Photoshop to make the color of the square to look like the wood you have.

You can rotate the image in the wood1 folder to show a cross grain carving, but remember the Designer Program will show the image 180 degrees from what it looks like in the wood1 folder.

Kenm810
03-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks for stepping in with the Info

I just now saw Ron's post asking about adding colors and wood grains for designer
there's some good posts about it here on the forum (Different Board Colors ? (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?4422-Different-Board-Colors&highlight=background+Colors)) here's a few I use.

earlyrider
03-25-2011, 11:31 AM
I have felt the sawdust, and its gritty. The image is named "Pine_Gray" in the Woods1 file, 512x512, but will not show up in the Board Settings/Wood/Stain window. I seek Yoda! (and blatantly mix references)... I'm not a programmer, I'm a Paleontologist, dammit!
Ron

AskBud
03-25-2011, 11:42 AM
In my system, the folder is here:
C:\Program Files\CarveWright\woods1

You must move the file to this folder.
you probably will, also, need to exit Designer and re-open it before the file will take effect.
AskBud

bjbethke
03-25-2011, 12:37 PM
I have felt the sawdust, and its gritty. The image is named "Pine_Gray" in the Woods1 file, 512x512, but will not show up in the Board Settings/Wood/Stain window. I seek Yoda! (and blatantly mix references)... I'm not a programmer, I'm a Paleontologist, dammit!
Ron

It needs to be a JPEG format, does the image show up in the Woods1 folder? The file name should work.

Copy and paste one of the images I posted, see if that works. BJB

earlyrider
03-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Yes,it is a JPG, in woods1. The woods I can access have a blue label; the new ones are black (I presume the color is related to them being original or older (sometimes I get blue also)). Here's a shot of what I've got-
This is also after shutting down and restarting the computer.
Also, have you tried to add another background using the current software version?

Kenm810
03-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Theses are some of the ones I use while I'm working in Designer on this Pc

Click on Pine in the menu to see the New Colors or Wood Grains

bjbethke
03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Yes,it is a JPG, in woods1. The woods I can access have a blue label; the new ones are black (I presume the color is related to them being original or older (sometimes I get blue also)). Here's a shot of what I've got-
This is also after shutting down and restarting the computer.
Also, have you tried to add another background using the current software version?

You have too much data in your file name, remove the .jpg

The first image is how my folder looks.

earlyrider
03-29-2011, 12:26 AM
Still no cigar, the file monacker (.jpg) is added by the program; I deliberately did not add it when moving the "Pine_gray" into woods1. The others "Pine_yellow" et.al. have the ".jpg" on them in the list, and work like they're supposed to. I'm using the current version of designer (1.178). Can someone else using the current version check to see if you can add other board colors?
Ron

kool69sporty
03-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Ron, I am using the current version of Designer, V 1.178 & could successfully add a new color (board) to the ...program_files/carvewright/woods/ directory. I have Coreldraw 9.0 and simply made a colored 512 X 512 pixel rectangle. FYI. Joe