PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of the CT, but have a question about QC bits

DurhamDev
03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm considering a chuck upgrade, but wonder if anyone has ever tried removing the existing QC bits from the adapters? I read in a thread that they were 'pressed on', so I would assume they could be cut off somehow, if someone figured out a way to do it precisely. Has anyone ever removed the bits from the collars? I ask, as I have a full set (the $399 set) and would hate to lose out on using the bits if I upgrade.

fwharris
03-24-2011, 08:10 PM
You have to remove the 2 set screws from the adapter. You also might have to put a little heat on the adapter as some of the loctite might be on the shaft of the bit. Take a look in the owners manual as it does show the procedure for setting up the bits in the adapters....

DurhamDev
03-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Ah - see, I thought there were some screws in there. Truth be told, I didn't look closely at them, the last time I had them out. Thanks!

AskBud
03-24-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm considering a chuck upgrade, but wonder if anyone has ever tried removing the existing QC bits from the adapters? I read in a thread that they were 'pressed on', so I would assume they could be cut off somehow, if someone figured out a way to do it precisely. Has anyone ever removed the bits from the collars? I ask, as I have a full set (the $399 set) and would hate to lose out on using the bits if I upgrade.
The bits with the 1/4" shanks are held in the adapter by the two screws. I placed mine on the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes and then loosen the screws and push the bits out of the adapter (Use oven mitts, or pliers to hold the hot items).

The bits with the 1/2" shanks are held in the adapter by a nut. There is no need to heat, or remove the screws as they have no effect. simply use a pair of plier and a wrench to loosen the not.
AskBud

lynnfrwd
03-24-2011, 09:57 PM
The full bit set can definitely be retrofitted for the CT spindle. It is just the carbide bits that need to be replaced.

AskBud
03-24-2011, 10:02 PM
The full bit set can definitely be retrofitted for the CT spindle. It is just the carbide bits that need to be replaced.
Better said "It's only the bits that have the 1/4" carbide shanks that need replaced (1/16" Carving and the 1/8" Cutting)."
AskBud

cestout
03-25-2011, 02:09 PM
I had several carving and cutting bits left over from the QC era, so I had a preson with a hydrolic press, dull CT bits out and press new old QC bits in. The work as intended - no problems.
Clint