PDA

View Full Version : Recommended bit exposure?

hotpop
03-24-2011, 06:16 PM
It seems that sometimes after I finish machining a figure and have to install the 1/8" cutting bit I sometimes get a z-axis error which cancels the program and is somewhat frustrating. I understand the bit was probably to long.

Is there a recommended cutter bit exposure when using the Rock Chuck?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

I just received a 3/16" cutting bit. It comes with the Carvetight collar. Is the Rock Chuck and Carvetight Chuck the same length?

JDPratt
03-25-2011, 10:37 AM
I used to have that problem as well and IIRC everyone said 1 1/2" exposed was the proper amount. That is what I use now and it has worked out so far. I cut a piece of platic tubing at 1 1/2" and use it to gauge the length. (of course I take it off before carving).

chebytrk
03-25-2011, 10:45 AM
I cut a small piece of Shrink tubing and put it on each one of my 1/4 cutting/carving bits. Even applied a little glue before putting heat to the tubing to make sure it stays on good. Never had a problem after that and it's always worked fine.

hotpop
03-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Are you using the Rock Chuck?

I still am having the problem regardless of the length. I tried 1.5, 1.437, 1.375, 1.312 lengths and still have the same problem. I also recalibrating the depth. When setting up for a project the machine calls for the 1/8" cutting bit. Everything is normal until it does its checking for the board height. I touches the board twice then moves slightly and touches the board three more times. The last three times I can hear it tapping the board then I get the z-axis error.

hotpop
03-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Jerry,

I use 1/4" Tygon tubing from the hardware store as stops on my bits. I cut it to 1/16" lengths. It has to stretch over the shank and has never slipped. It's easier then then shrink tubing.