PDA

View Full Version : Oh no...Another Newbie

oldnavyvet
03-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Hi all, my name is Charles and I'm considering getting my first Cartwright C. I am a 100% disabled Vet and the doctors at the VA say that I need to find a hobby that can help me to get exercise and so here I am. Being disabled I am limited to just how much I can do, so this seems the perfect option for me.

I have to buy the stuff in stages though, because I can't afford the machine and bits and all the patterns and stuff, so will have to peace meal it. Just hope I don't drive you all crazy with questions, lol.

Hope to get to know you all soon.

Charlie

easybuilt
03-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the forum and the world of CW. Read everything and take your time.
You will do great and asking for more to create. Your limit is your imagination.
I'm sorry your disabled, Thank you for ALL you have done for our country!!

skeeterman
03-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Welcome Charles,
With buying the carvewright you get everything you need to start making awesome projects . You can do alot with the two bits that comes with the machine, and you can upgrade as you go.
Steve

lynnfrwd
03-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Check in your state. In some the va will help pay for it.

oldnavyvet
03-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Ya...did that already.. No such luck...lol

oldnavyvet
03-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks, I'm still reading and learning.

oldnavyvet
03-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Well I've ordered the machine from Lowe's. Should be here in 3 to 4 days. So I'm reading everything I can. I do have one question.
Is there someone who would be willing to lend a copy of their Conforming Vectors, Centerline, DXF & STL Importers, and Pattern Editor software.

I only had enough to buy the machine and the better belt system.

Also, what else would be a must have for me to get?

Appreciate all help I can get, and thanks in advance.

Charlie

skeeterman
03-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Charlie, congrats on your purchase.As far as borrowing software it dosnt work that way. Software is licensed to you and it's nontransferable .
Steve

oldnavyvet
03-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Ya, I know. I just meant to use, until I could save up to buy my own copies. But thanks for the reply.

Frederick_P
03-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Charlie, you will have a blast with your new hobby, but it would be quite sad, considering you broke the bank to get the unit, that it failed on you shortly after your purchase. It is very important that you read about the machine and understand how to use it before you jump in and start carving. It is critical that the machine be kept clean, lubricated and free of dust. There are a couple of solutions to this. Another member has posted a file that allows you to carve your own dust collector. Go to this thread: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17634-Fletcher-s-DC-carve-it-yourself&highlight=dust+collector

Or you can build the one I designed (see the link at the bottom of my signature).

Both of these are free. There are a couple of units pre-made that other members are selling, but if you are strapped for cash and need a hobby, then why not build it yourself.

Do not use a shop vac for your dust collection. The CFM of airflow is too low to do the job and the static electricity produced by these units can fry your electronics. Sorry, but you need a proper 4" dust collector to do the job right. I would look for one used or maybe solicit local businesses for a donation or one at cost.

This forum is a wealth of information from really great people who know their stuff and somehow find the time out of their day to help us all out. Soon you will think of them as your friends. Take the time to read a lot about the problems others have had, what caused them and how to avoid them and your new little robotic buddy will provide you with hundreds of hours of great fun.

lynnfrwd
03-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Hey Charlie:

I haven't heard from you or seen your order. I sent you a private message, please check notifications at the top of this page. Click on it and then look in your INBOX...you will see my message and can reply in the box underneath it.

Digitalwoodshop
03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Welcome Charlie,

I am a Retired Fire Control Chief and I am here to answer any questions you have along the way.

My phone number is on the bottom of my Webpages so I am open to PM's, emails, and calls. I am in the shop most nights and welcome calls. I have a Magic Jack and it is free to call you back.

Where are you located and what was your rate and rank?

Your in for a lot of FUN....

I would say buy the Centerline Text FIRST... You can make a bunch of Signs to pay for your upgrades. Contour Text would be next.... That will let you put text in a recessed area like the Maltese Cross pattern. You could make Maltese Clocks and Chief and Navy Clocks to make Beer Money...

Good Luck,

AL

oldnavyvet
03-29-2011, 02:55 AM
Hay everyone, I am out of commission for a while, I have to go to the hospital and do some tests at the VA. I thank all of you for your generous support and help with what will be my permanent hobby. But it will be a couple of more months before I can get started maybe by Dec. or Jan.

Things don't always go the way we want them too, but sometimes the reason is to make the wait for it, becomes a more appreciative one.

Again thank you all, and hope to talk to you soon.

oldnavyvet
03-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Thank God for computers and cell phones. Being stuck in a VA hospital is really boring and sucks. Well found out I have 2 crushed disks in my neck 1 in my lower back and a cracked hip bone. I guess that fall I took a couple of weeks ago did more damage than I first thought. Docs say I will be laid up for a couple of months at least. Will be going home tomorrow and then I can start to check out all the videos I have saved on my home computer for Carvewright. But if it wasn't for my daughter letting me use her laptop while I was stuck in here I think I would have gone nuts, lol.

Will check in as I get back to normal.

Charlie

easybuilt
03-29-2011, 03:30 PM
WOW Charlie you sure did some damage! You take of yourself and get online when you can.
I am look forward to hearing about your progress and you getting back to normal.
I'm recovering from a knee injury, sure does chang the things I do.
Enjoy everything that you can find online and what we are doing with are CW's.

gregsolano
03-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Get well soon! You should be a fountain of knowledge after watching all the videos!

Capt Bruce
03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Hope you are able to heal fast and well! Keep us up to date and study hard. There's a lot to learn and enjoy here.

oldnavyvet
03-29-2011, 05:21 PM
I will keep you updated, and thanks again.

oldnavyvet
03-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Well, on my way home from VA hosp. I have to stop by my Lowe's store and order my machine. Boy I hurt in places I didn't even know you could hurt. lol

So even though I won't be able to use my machine right away, I have to get the dust collectors built, and order the heavy duty belts, etc.. I can't wait to get started.

My daughter says I'm worse than a kid in a candy store.

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2011, 02:59 PM
GOOD LUCK !!!!!!

Hope to see post of all the FUN Carved Stuff you will be making.

Take Care,

AL

Capt Bruce
03-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah, let them say what they want but aren't Candy Stores fun . . .

oldnavyvet
03-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Well, first night back home after my fall. Boy I feel like 3 400lb guys has used me as a trampoline today.
I just wanted to say thanks to lynnfrwd for all the help and great support. Can't wait to get my machine up and running.
I have watched EVERY video and read a couple hundred pages of manuals and hints & tips pages so far
and now I'm playing with the demo of the pattern editor, lol.

So far the only flaw I have found with all this is I have three projects that are stuck in my head, and no machine to use to
get them out of there, YET. lol

Oh, and thanks everyone for the support and comments, it means a lot when your laid up and can't do anything.

Charlie

fwharris
03-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Charlie,

Get your rest and healing done now while you are waiting for the machine to get there. You will need it!!! And great job on reading up on as much as you can. It will pay dividends I am sure..

cnsranch
03-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Go get 'em, Charlie.

If you want, you can always post your mpc's here and we'll take a look if you like before you carve them - I do that quite often - you'd be surprised how much wood you can save by doing that.

Capt Bruce
03-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Charlie,

I'd heartily second Jerry's comment. This Forum is like having a neighborhood full of other CarveWright users who are willing to stop over and help us Newbies look over a project from every angle before we even commit it to the memory card and hack up a piece of fine wood (or plain old Pine; sorry Lawrence I know that word makes you choke a bit). This family of skilled carvers are the most important accessory any user can add to the CarveWright. Get well soon Charlie.

oldnavyvet
03-31-2011, 11:44 PM
Playing with pattern editor, and need help. How do you merge your own text to an older or demo pattern.

Here is what I mean. I want to put the name of my shop on the wings of the USN logo demo pattern, and the US Flag behind that Logo.

I hope that makes since.

AskBud
03-31-2011, 11:56 PM
Playing with pattern editor, and need help. How do you merge your own text to an older or demo pattern.

Here is what I mean. I want to put the name of my shop on the wings of the USN logo demo pattern, and the US Flag behind that Logo.

I hope that makes since.
I think you want to do "Layering".
Here is a Tip & Trick link: http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Oct07.pdf

If you, also, drop down to my "Download link, below, you'll find all sorts of lessons listed and links to a spate of other very valuable sites.
AskBud

TerryT
04-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Charlie,

Make sure you have someone to help you move and setup your machine. It is heavy and with a injured back already it could slow you down alot.

AskBud
04-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Recently, one or two folks have neglected to lubricate the Flex Shaft with chain lube containing Moly, before using the unit. One had the Flex cover melt and had to buy a new one before he could continue carving.

Any Auto store should have, or get it for you. I use Liquid Wrench Industrial Chain Lube with Moly. My canister has a SKU # of 78698 12071, and says "Part NO" L716.
AskBud

oldnavyvet
04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, and yes I have someone who is going to move it into the shop for me. Just got off the phone with lynnfrwd and my machine is being shipped today, ya.

Charlie

oldnavyvet
04-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Well, got my machine in. will get the dust collector in a couple of paydays (see pics). Will be building rolling storage work bench, sled and dust collector hood over the next couple of three weeks while I save up for the collector. Then I will be officially up and running.

Charlie

oldnavyvet
04-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Ooops, for got the pics...lol Link is for the dust collector the one on top, the other is the work bench with minor adjustments to size.

Charlie

oldnavyvet
04-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Ooops, for got the pics...lol Link is for the dust collector the one on top, the other is the work bench with minor adjustments to size. Well don't know how to put a .pdf file on here. so no bench pic.

Charlie43456

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2011/Main/185