PDA

View Full Version : Warm hello-

Julie Coffey
01-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Greetings to one and all. I stumbled across this site after a close friend of mine saw apparently what was an advert for Sears Compucarve. But he couldn't remember who made it or where it was sold. It took 3 days over Christmas vacation but at last I finally found you all.

I have been emailing Erik at Carvewright, and was very pleased thus far with the customer service for enquiries from a person who is yet to own one of these mirror machines.

I have downloaded the software and found it very user friendly but I have some questions hopefully those better versed here already can help me with.

What programs do you use for creating your own 3d graphics that are suitable for use with this machine.

What types of graphics lend themselves for 3d conversion that give good results. And does anyone have any examples of the graphic first and the result 'after', low res. beginning graphics would be fine I am not interested in 'borrowing' anyones art. I'd just like to see what has been done.

I have a miriad of questions and sadly the good hearted people at Carvewright are relocating and have yet to respond to my last barrage of questions.

Would any of the 'senior testers or owners' here on the board welcome a phone call and question answer session on my own dime?

I appreciate everyones time in reading this, and would welcome a message or email concerning the phone call.

It's a pleasure to meet you all.

Julie C.
Athens, MI.

BobHill
01-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Julie,

I'd recommend that you read the FAQs and especially the software threads as well as the Gallery etc. to see what's already been written, then besides listing your immediate interests and directions, ask any and all of the questions you'd like right here. You'll find many long time (well long time for the CarveWright, anyway) users and potential users here that'll not only discuss, but advise and wind your way through the myrid of concerns that you might have. Welcome aboard from a moderate time user.

The beauty of this forum is the way other questions and projects seem to fit into all our interests and thinking of the best way to use the machine.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Julie Coffey
01-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Thank you Bob for replying, I'll try to keep my questions short-ish and to the point. My husband and I have spent considerable time looking over this forum and several others. But questions still remain and I'm sure will crop up as I think of them. I do use the search feature and will post only things that are pertinent.

My initial question(s)

Who out there uses OTC software thats not CAD to do raster/3d images for use with their CW or CC machine? What do you like or not like about them?

And if you could do it over again would there be different software or is there one particular program you'd prefer over the others?

Thank you in advance for sharing what you know.

Julie

BobHill
01-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Julie,

I personally seldom use any true CAD program for use with the CW (except use of the vector tools included with the CW software and Demo, that is). However I do mostly use CorelDraw (version 11) with a dash of Adobe Illustrator (version 11 or CS as it's probably better known as), and Xara Xtreme Pro with Xara 3D for vector work, but since the CW won't accept outside vector as yet, that has to be converted to raster and for that I use PhotoShop (version 8 or also known as CS) or Adobe PhotoShop Elements 5. I also use those raster programs for sprucing up other raster images for carving, although gray mode gradients can be applied in both vector and raster...they just have to be raster to Import into Designer. If you wish to cut vector a design from vector you can take it into the CW, of course, as a raster and then use the CW Designer vector tools to trace your design, then delete the raster version of it.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida