PDA

View Full Version : Make a useable pattern from this STL?

dvel56
03-22-2011, 01:29 AM
I have a STL file I created In Solidworks that I would like someone to convert to make it usable in designer to see how it carves and how clean it converts before I purchase Importer

I zipped the file to attach it however if you can not open it please PM me and I can send via email
Thanks
Dvel56

PCW
03-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Try this file to see if it is what you are looking for.

dvel56
03-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks PCW

So if one wants just the profile of the cutout without the board profile can importer do that?
or does one need a stl of the cutout profile only and have Importer invert it to make a concave pattern detail?
here is another stl of the cutout profile

Dvel56

PCW
03-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks PCW

So if one wants just the profile of the cutout without the board profile can importer do that?
or does one need a stl of the cutout profile only and have Importer invert it to make a concave pattern detail?
here is another stl of the cutout profile

Dvel56

Try this one.

dvel56
03-22-2011, 01:26 PM
I will do a test carve this afternoon. Do the files convert easy? What is the learning curve for Importer?

I have played with the demo version but I don't get anything that resembles what you did

Dvel56

PCW
03-22-2011, 02:12 PM
It is fairly easy to use. To be honest with you I'm a little rusty at using LHR's software because I've been away from it for a while. You may want to adjust the mpc's depth a little because I have it set at .750 now just to get the full effect and not knowing what thickness your wood was.

You also have a option to make a thicker model and import it with the STL importer. This would give you a option to slice the model into layers. Once all pieces are carved just glue them together for a deeper project.

Here is a link to a STL tutorial (http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/stltutors.htm)that LHR has posted on their home site.

Good Luck

dvel56
03-22-2011, 02:23 PM
PCW

Just finished the test carve. It carved very nice on normal so "optimum" should really be nice. thank you for converting this for me I am convinced that I could use STL Importer for some of my carvings I will look at the Tutorials and play with the demo to try to figure it out. Again thank you for taking time to help me. As fast as you did that it must be pretty user friendly I hope I can get that thing figured out.

Dvel56

PCW
03-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Duane

You're more than welcome. There are others here that are WAY better with the software than me and I'm sure they will jump in if you have any questions.

dvel56
03-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Pcm

Can Importer make a 2 sided pattern out of something like this?

PCW
03-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Duane

I would do it in a heartbeat if I could. I'm going to be out of town for a few days and not near my PC. Maybe one of the others members can give you a hand with this. I would be more than happy to help you when I get back home.