PDA

View Full Version : What can the Carvewright *actually do*?

DurhamDev
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Well, I'm hoping it can build another machine, of course! Sure, it sounds grandiose, but I think this is going to be one heck of a project. What, you might ask, am I talking about? Well, I am planning on using my Carvewright to build myself a full-size CNC Machine, that will handle up to 49" x 97" x 8" stock!

Here is my current plan. (I say "current", as Fletcher has been helping me through the past few weeks of planning, pointing out where I was going astray and putting me back 'on course'!)

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/5315/cncbasicbench.jpg

"Impossible! Preposterous!" you say. Well, I say it is possible, and I'm going to do it! (Just kidding there - I know it's possible. This Carvewright never ceases to amaze me in it's capabilities.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5711/tempfa.jpg

As you can see, I've already managed to import one piece into the Carvewright Designer, and I'm going to start working on the others, so that I can effectively have my one machine cut and carve as many pieces out as possible... ...effectively reducing the amount of manual work I need to do myself!

Of course, I also have to find a home for my machines... ...so it's likely this Project won't be more than design/development for a month or so. But, wish me luck!

Rearden
05-03-2011, 06:51 AM
I might suggest, if you're looking for a serious router to stick in your Leviathan, check out the discontinued Festool 2000 plunge router. You can strip the frame and end up with a monster spindle with excellent bearings at less than half the price of their new units. Awesome power. A common problem with many of the home made units is the spindle/router choice. I spoke with a fellow who designed and now sells a pretty ingenious MDF - knock down model, and he eats 3+ h.p. routers like nobody's business. There are also Chinese high freq. spindles available on the cheap, but quality wise they are a total crap shoot.

Other than the lateral stresses imposed (which is why the Festool excels - more/better bearing supporting the output) none of the router type spindles are built to handle continuous vertical loading, such as when continuously drilling shelf pin holes. That's part and parcel of why the big boys run separate drill heads as well. Just food for thought.

Steppers or servos? If price is no object, or ya just like to dream, check these bad boyz out;

http://www.nexengroup.com/?gclid=CLyY0oPay6gCFYbb4AodbELupg

Roller bearing rack and pinion that is completely stupid fast with the right high quality servo. I spoke with a guy who designs and builds CNC's (private label stuff - he designs in the States and owns a production facility in Taiwan). Anyway, he built massive all steel moving gantry style unit using these and fired it up (he was so excited) without installing positive stops on the rail ends. It was a friggin' amazing and scary video clip to see a several hundred pound 6'+ gantry go screaming off the end of the table. He's since pulled the video, but the lesson was well learned. Limit switches are gooood.

Jeff_Birt
05-03-2011, 08:19 AM
The biggest problem when using a handheld router motor is typically run-out. There are several router motors that are really well made but the OEM collets are worthless. Using precision collets in them makes a world of difference. They are one item I always receive rave reviews on from customers.

I also like to suggest that folks who endeavor to make such routers consider using slaved motors on the X-axis. The reduces the rigidity needed for the gantry and the complexity/weight of trying to employ some sort of cross drive system.

gregsolano
05-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Keep updating this thread with pics as you progress with this project!