PDA

View Full Version : Bit alternates

jaustin
03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Looking at buying Centerline software. I went and looked at the V-Bits is there and alternates bit that can be used?

I don't see much different in the bits between CarveWright's or a Freud except price.

If this isn't something I should not ask on this board sorry please delete.

Deolman
03-21-2011, 02:31 AM
The V-bits I use came off of a shelf locally and they do a fine job for me.

cnsranch
03-21-2011, 10:46 AM
I use v bits from another source, but if you have the CT set up, you need to buy bits from LHR with the pressed-on adapters.

Dan-Woodman
03-21-2011, 11:04 AM
The only bits you need from LHR is the solid carbide bits .That would include the carving bit and the cutting bits. You can use any brand V-bits because they don't need the PRESSED on sleeve. You will only need the sleeve if your adapting from 1/2" to 1/4" with the Carvtight system. When you buy V-bits get the 1/2" shank ,carbide tipped ones. The 1/2" shank will fit in the Carvetight spindal without any adapters. There are also different grades of carbide , so do your research first .
Jaustin
For centerline you can use just about any bit the doesn't have a bearing on the bottom. That includes roundnose, corebox straight,90 and 60 degree V-bits , classical , roundover. Any "plunge cutting bit".

cnsranch
03-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I stand corrected - thanks Dan.

So basically, any bit with a 1/2" shank will fit the CT?

Dan-Woodman
03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
That is correct Jerry, unless the entire bit and shank is solid carbide like the carving bit and cutting bits. Most carbide TIPPED bits have steel shanks . The presed on sleeves that come with the carving bit and cutting bits serve two purposes. they create a surface for the Carvetight chuck to grab a hold of and also convert the 1/4" shank to 1/2" to fit in the Carvetight spindal.

P.S. I'm back to work now after surgery, and I can still only whisper.
later Daniel

gregsolano
03-22-2011, 02:27 AM
So just to chime in here, if you have old quick change carving and cutting bits you should not put them in a carve tight 1/4 adapter and use them? I have tried this just to see if it would work and it seems to have worked fine. Since I have CT bits I only tried it to see if it would work and it did but I always thought I could use them if a bit broke or as backups.

Dan-Woodman
03-22-2011, 09:45 AM
That is what LHR recomends. There reason being the CT spindal will not clamp the solid carbide shafts enough to keep them from slipping. Therefore they recomend the pressed on adapters that will hold tight in the CT spindal.
later Daniel

lynnfrwd
03-22-2011, 11:31 AM
I use v bits from another source, but if you have the CT set up, you need to buy bits from LHR with the pressed-on adapters.

V-bits do not use pressed on adapters, that is just the carbide shaft bits (1/16" carving & 1/8" cutting) that need the hard pressed adapters. 1/4" steel shafts (v-bits in this case) only need the 1/4" stop collar and can share a 1/4" split collet.