PDA

View Full Version : Other tools needed in conjunction with CW

Dennik
01-10-2007, 10:06 AM
This is a question for the experienced wood workers in this forum.

What tools do you use in conjunction with CW? What would you recommend to someone who is starting his woodworking hobby from scratch?

And something else. Whats the best type of wood you've found to create fine details with CW?
Thanks

BobHill
01-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Dennik,

There are many many avenues when working with wood, and thus there are as many specialty tools both necessary and those nice to have to accomplish them besides the CarveWright. A table saw, band saw, and power sanders (many types available), and I'd even put a thickness sander (Performax) in front of a thickness plainer or a "jointer". Hand tools ???? many and varied, of course. Your wallet and tastes probably should strongly be taken into consideration as well ... and don't forget a library of books specifically to the tools and projects directed towards your interests.

Bob

Malfunction
01-15-2007, 07:37 AM
i recommend good lighting and a decent workbench (you can make a decent one from 2x4's). tablesaw and chopsaws are nice too. but all this can add up quick, so remember not to go too crazy with new purchases :wink: . you can make your own router table. most woodworking books have some mention of how to make a good workbench and router table. the book should also mention all the tools required to do the job.

poteetjr
01-15-2007, 11:18 AM
I too am just starting out with limited income. I bought the SKil Xshop because it used hand tools to make table tools around a table saw to include a router, digital rip fence, sander, bench press and scroll saw. If you are interested here is a link.
http://www.skilxshop.com/

Digitalwoodshop
01-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Very Interesting.... How much is it going for? I didn't see a price on the web sight. I already have everything seen, but I have a friend just starting out. Thanks, AL

PX price?

Malfunction
01-16-2007, 07:44 AM
i also use an x-shop in my garage. it was a good choice for me because my space is fairly limited. it can also double as a small workbench for when the workbench i made get cluttered. i do have a hard time cutting square rip cuts though due to the small miter gauge, but this may be my technique more than anything.

BobHill
01-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Your Skilxshop reminds me of the ShopSmith, which is more lathe/drill/saw oriented, but along the same idea. Until recently at Lowes I didn't even think they still were in business. The guy doing the demo there said that they definitely were still in business and Lowes carried them, but only via their catalog (or perhaps their Internet link).

Bob

RobertP
01-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Another great thing to have, even if it is a simple setup is some form of dust collection. IMO one of the best things to have, but Im a clean freak to so.............. :lol:

Jeff_Birt
01-16-2007, 10:28 AM
I vote for a Dremel tool. I bought a set of diamond burr bits and a brass brush for mine and they have been invaluable for cleaning up carvings.

I think this is a great thread for those just starting out with the machine. What would the OP and everyone else think about creating a sticky out of it? (sort of like the Designer Wish List sticky in the SW forum) ?

Aaron B
01-16-2007, 10:30 AM
I vote for a Dremel tool. I bought a set of diamond burr bits and a brass brush for mine and they have been invaluable for cleaning up carvings.

I think this is a great thread for those just starting out with the machine. What would the OP and everyone else think about creating a sticky out of it? (sort of like the Designer Wish List sticky in the SW forum) ?

I know the Dremel is high speed, do you have to be careful that you don't take away the carving when cleaning it up. How big are the bits for the Dremel, would they get into really tight spots?

Jeff_Birt
01-16-2007, 10:39 AM
I bought a set from Harbour Frieght similar to this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40547

most of them are less then 1/8", some around 1mm, some rounded and some pointy. Yes, you can get a little too excited with then and really chen thigns up. It just takes a bit of practice.