PDA

View Full Version : Home built airplane

rockflier
03-20-2011, 02:48 PM
A fellow aviator and I are building a home built airplane and had difficulty finding someone in our area to cut the wing ribs for us. CW to the rescue!! Here is the pattern we made. The wood used is 1/4" aircraft grade spruce plywood. When the plane is finished, I will follow up with pictures.

easybuilt
03-20-2011, 03:25 PM
WOW that's great. So much the CW can do, it only takes imagination.

liquidguitars
03-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Keep us up to date on your project!

Mikewiz
03-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Wood love to see the results myself.

Capt Bruce
03-20-2011, 05:59 PM
I really hope this project flies . . . Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Digitalwoodshop
03-20-2011, 06:55 PM
I would hate to see this project crash too....

Another idea for cutting this stuff is do like I do the the plastic tags. Use a carrier board and double sided tape. Set up the project with a outline of the part and assign the 1/4 inch bull nose bit to Designer and set the depth to .026. NO Tabs with this method.

Use a 1/16 inch end mill bit to cut the parts out. By telling the machine you are using a 1/4 inch bit the feed rate will lock into 1st gear.

If you cut them with the 1/8 inch bit watch it cut. It will do the corners slow then speed up. That speed up can sometimes give you problems as the bit cannot cut fast enough and it pushes the wood.

AL

rockflier
03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Cpt. Bruce and Digital. I forgot to mention that I used a sled for the carve, used the 1/8" cutting bit. I first made a jig to hold the entire piece of plywood and assigned a carve depth of .3. That way the plywood would not splinter with the cut. I fabricated 4 swivel pieces, one on each side of the plywood directly over the tabs to ensure the piece would not rise or slip. This is the second home built we have made, the first was great. After flying the 757-200 for several years, these small planes have restored the fun of flying. As an old Army 1SG turned aviator the CW has also restored the fun of wood working. Thanks for the tips and encouragement. We finished all the metal work, courtesy of my partner, and are ready to build the wings. More pics as we finish more. I will take some pics of the metal work finished and attach them sometime this next week.

chkorte
03-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Cpt. Bruce and Digital. I forgot to mention that I used a sled for the carve, used the 1/8" cutting bit. I first made a jig to hold the entire piece of plywood and assigned a carve depth of .3. That way the plywood would not splinter with the cut. I fabricated 4 swivel pieces, one on each side of the plywood directly over the tabs to ensure the piece would not rise or slip. This is the second home built we have made, the first was great. After flying the 757-200 for several years, these small planes have restored the fun of flying. As an old Army 1SG turned aviator the CW has also restored the fun of wood working. Thanks for the tips and encouragement. We finished all the metal work, courtesy of my partner, and are ready to build the wings. More pics as we finish more. I will take some pics of the metal work finished and attach them sometime this next week.

Being a homebuilder myself, I'm curious, what are you building?

rockflier
03-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Being a homebuilder myself, I'm curious, what are you building?
CH, this one is the Bekeng Deuce, the first one we built was the Midget Mustang, 200 h.p.. Great flying little plane.

rockflier
03-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Here are jpegs of the gussets for wing ribs and flaps. Using 1/16" mahogany plywood mounted on a MDF carrier, we used masking tape on each end to hold the 24" x 12" sheets down, used the 1/16" carving bit with a carve depth of 3/32". There were 60 pieces of each gusset. Last time it took us 6 months of drawing, cutting with an exacto knife, and sanding. The entire carve was done in an afternoon!! The wing ribs use the Clark Y airfoil design. Correction on previous spellings, the craft is the Bakeng deuce, designed by the Boeing aeronautical engineer, Jerry Bakeng.

rockflier
03-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Here are a couple of photos of where we are in construction. Notice the great wing ribs, courtesy of CW!

43226 43227

lynnfrwd
03-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Oh wow!!!!!

JDPratt
03-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Wow, I guessed I missed something in the earlier posts in this thread. I thought this was a model airplane project. THAT is no model. Great job!

rockflier
03-28-2011, 08:11 PM
The only reason that all the wood parts are not done on the CW is because of size. The 14" width restriction precluded carving some of the parts. Ah well, the old jig saw, hand router, and band saw still have a home!! We are now creating a 1/8" mahogany ply overlay of the aluminum instrument panel for the "aristocratic" look. My partner wants a carve similar to the Chrysler wings for the panel. Hmmmm, ideas are flowing!!!

DickB
03-30-2011, 08:16 AM
I made a dash panel for my boat that may also give you some ideas:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?11050-Dash-panel-for-boat

rockflier
04-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the ideas, Dick. I am sure we can incorporate some of them into our project. Man this is fun!!!

rockflier
04-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Here is what the finished craft will look like, in line art form.

43470 43471

rockflier
04-26-2011, 05:26 PM
More pictures of where we are in the construction process. Some closer shots of the CW ribs. The next CW work will be a mahogany plywood overlay for the aluminum instrument panel using some tips from Dan.The panel will be the same layout as the one shown. This one is from a completed Bakeng Deuce.

43994 43997 43995 43996

JDPratt
04-27-2011, 08:33 AM
That is really coming along nice. Can't wait to see more progress pics.

RanUtah
04-27-2011, 08:28 PM
That is just too cool!

Digitalwoodshop
04-27-2011, 09:26 PM
For improved cut quality like I posted earlier. Use double stick tape or build a Vacuum Jig with replacement tops with holes drilled for each .mpc and saved to use again. The Advantage of not using Tabs or Cut Path and using tape or a Vacuum Jig is that you can use the 1/16 inch End Mill bit for the design without tabs or Cut Path. The Tape or Vacuum Jig will hold loose parts. Once you have your design done in 1/16 inch select the whole project to be cut and select the 1/4 inch bull nose bit and set the depth to the usual .3. What this will do is slow down the feed rate on your cut for a smoother edge finish. Using Tape on the Brass Roller of your Carrier Board or Jig ensures the Rack and Pinion Action of the Brass Roller to bottom of the board. A X Direction Error and you end up with a broken bit.

When you use the Cut Path Feature you will see the Feed Rate of Slow doing turns then FAST on long runs.... The Faster Feed Rate does not leave as clean of an edge and is more stressful on the bit. Using my method learned from Lynn locks the feed rate into 1st gear... A function I would love to see added as a function of the Cut Path Depth of Cut Screen.... Lock in 1st GEAR.... You can't do it now with a Cut Path.

If you design a vacuum sled with replacement tops pre drilled with holes to hold the parts based on your .mpc, include a Vacuum Switch in the setup to open the cover circuit and stop the machine if vacuum is lost wired in series with the cover switch. I will use a RCA Jack and Shorting Plug when the Jig is not in use.

Good Luck... This is Exciting.... Great Project...

AL

rockflier
04-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Al, thanks for the tips. I have not seen any information on a vacuum jig. Can you enlighten me on it?

DaveN
05-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Heres one that I started but never finished, I don't know if it will work or not but it should give you an idea of what one is.The big square to the left on the back side is where you would attach a vacuum fitting somehow, you would have to modify it for the whatever fitting your going to use.Then add a 1/4 piece of plywood to the bottom to seal it up.

rockflier
05-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Interesting concept! Something to ponder. Thanks!

cestout
05-08-2011, 04:40 PM
But won't dust clog the vacume jig?
Clint

lawrence
05-09-2011, 12:23 PM
I've seen vacum holddowns where they used a roller blind to cover the exposed holes- this seemed to work ok

The one I used you just covered the holes with a rubber mat and then the vac was able to hold the workpiece on fine

As long as you vac before you start carving you shouldn't get dust methinks-- no problem with a random orbital sander anyway

Lawrence

ps- awesome project!

lynnfrwd
06-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Any more pictures of this project? I have someone on another forum, calling the CW a toy and wanted to show them what this "toy" could do.

Thanks!

chebytrk
06-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Did you show them what LG and Doug H. can make with our "toy" ?
;)

Any more pictures of this project? I have someone on another forum, calling the CW a toy and wanted to show them what this "toy" could do.

Thanks!

lynnfrwd
06-07-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm collecting photos now. Thought I would show them some "toys".

b.sumner47
06-07-2012, 02:22 PM
That is quite the undertaking, looks like it's in good hands though.You have just touched the tip of the iceberg in what the carveWright can do. Keep the updates coming.

Capt Barry

rockflier
07-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Sorry, I have been laid up awhile with some Agent Orange maladies. I am up and about, so thought I would shoot a picture of all the wing ribs we made on the CW. Next bunch of pics will be of the assembled wings.

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your Agent Orange Issues... Glad you are doing BETTER and THANK YOU for your SERVICE !!!!

This is a really GREAT Project... So what did you end up doing for a sled or carrier board. How did you hold the stuff....?

I still have not made the Vacuum Jig I want... What I do now is take 3/4 inch double stick tape. Took 6 Stanley replacement blades and with double stick tape, stuck them to pieces of plastic making a 6 wide strip cutter. I SLIT the 3/4 into 6 thin strips that I run the length of my carrier board to hold my small tags.

More Pictures when you get a chance...

Thanks,

AL

SteveEJ
07-30-2012, 08:22 PM
From a former ATC guy who's family has been in aviation (brother flew uh-1's in SE Asia), that is a REALLY COOL project! Please keep us informed..

Thanks for your service and glad you are doing better.

easybuilt
07-30-2012, 10:12 PM
So glad you feeling better and able to do something you love! Really enjoy seeing your progress!

rockflier
07-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Al, we used a pine 1 x 10 as a sled and used good old masking tape for a hold down. Worked like a champ!

rockflier
08-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Al, thanks for the words. It was an honor for me to be allowed to serve my country, all 20 years of it. Here is a wing going together, the jig took awhile to fabricate, but both wings will be done in the next couple of days.

easybuilt
08-02-2012, 09:02 AM
That is coming along great. I am excited each time I see your progress!

rockflier
08-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Finally back at it. The wings are going together, the carved ribs go in tonight.

rockflier
09-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Engine mount built and getting ready to install

Underdog
09-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted. Love seeing the pix for this. Have an overall shot of the whole thing yet?

cestout
09-10-2014, 06:54 PM
I also look forward to your updates.
Clint

PSQRD
05-26-2015, 04:19 PM
any updates on this? would love to see!!

DonCP
06-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Me too, this is an awesome project.

ktjwilliams
06-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Yes this was exciting project to watch coming together ... Lets get some updates !!!

rockflier
07-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Latest update. Getting there

blantz
07-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Looking good, can't wait to see it complete and in the air.

fellow aviation enthusiast

Rocketman
07-13-2019, 02:34 PM
I would hate to see this project crash too....

Another idea for cutting this stuff is do like I do the the plastic tags. Use a carrier board and double sided tape. Set up the project with a outline of the part and assign the 1/4 inch bull nose bit to Designer and set the depth to .026. NO Tabs with this method.

Use a 1/16 inch end mill bit to cut the parts out. By telling the machine you are using a 1/4 inch bit the feed rate will lock into 1st gear.

If you cut them with the 1/8 inch bit watch it cut. It will do the corners slow then speed up. That speed up can sometimes give you problems as the bit cannot cut fast enough and it pushes the wood.

AL

If you saved the project with it setup for a 1/4" cutter and then use a 1/16" cutter your parts are going to be .094" big per side right? The machine has no way of knowing it needs to be offset in to compensate for a smaller cutter unless you set it up for the smaller cutter. If you draw the part undersized to start with I can see this working. Maybe I'm missing something in my translation of your method description.