PDA

View Full Version : for anyone who cuts with this machine

cxixer
01-10-2007, 02:11 AM
I need a tool like this to cut 3/4" MDF and carve acrylic, maybe a few other projects, but that would be it's main use. I have been looking at shopbots and other cnc machines and ran across this. I am not worried so much about v-carving acrylic, but would this machine handle a lot of straight bit cutting through 3/4" mdf?
I do like the cost of this machine verses the tabletop shopbot which runs around $6k, but it is useless to me if it will break down. I do not intend to use it for constant or industrial use, but it may be used a few times a week for a couple hours a day.

Thanks in advance.

Dan-Woodman
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
What the carvewright does best is carve. And it does that very well.
It does other woodworking functions , but if you have woodworking tools and know how to use them, some might be faster without it.
Other than carving , I like to use it for drilling adjustable shelf holes in cabinets while I'm doing other things, and also routing solid wood or MDF doors to make it look like it has raised panals. It does this rather slow,but your design can be more than just square.
As for the acrylic it is hard and brittle . I think it could be carved shallow , but also it might breakout .