PDA

View Full Version : USAF Coin Display

cestout
03-19-2011, 04:20 PM
My son says they have a need of these things. Evidently they are awarded large coins and want to display them. Nothing like that in my day - USAF 1957 - 61.
Clint

jaustin
03-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Nice work, I also make coin racks and have a few ideas that i want to make when I get the design software figures out.

John

Capt Bruce
03-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Very nice work on the Challenge Coin racks Clint. I'm still trying to work out a design for an Air Force buddy because he has plain coins and some in sealed display boxes that he wants to keep pristine. Challeges, challenges, challenges. Up to the time I retired in 2001 the Navy just had not really bought into that custom as much as the other Forces.

lawrence
03-20-2011, 10:03 AM
I've drank many a beverage through the last 17 years or so due to an unsuspecting aviator forgetting their challenge "coin".... The custom is especially prevelant in the flying community, but I've seen it followed in all walks of the Air Force (though not as strictly as it used to be)

There was a time that RMO's (round metal objects... calling them "coins" is considered obtuse) were quite difficult to acquire (one had to be "gifted" most of them by a Commander)-- and some still are-- These coins hold great value to the owner and there is usually a story that accompanies the coin.

I've learned that while deployed that one must always have an RMO on your person-- even stash one in your shower bag...
Great job on the coin holders and they will be well accepted methinks. I'm on again-off again working on some holder designs myself--I'll only add that this is an object that would benefit from centerline text (small letters)

Thanks for sharing,
Lawrence

cestout
03-20-2011, 02:05 PM
I didn't use centerline because the round wooden object is supposed to look like a large coin and coins have raised lettering, and for the other I just think it looks better. My son, prefers the wings, but I like the coin one, so I made both for him to take in to get orders.
Clint

JDPratt
03-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Nice design. I do a number of these for work. Challenge coins are definitely more prevalent today than when I first joined the military. When I was a young soldier it was uncommon to see someone with more than 3-5 challenge coins. They were given out very sparingly. Now it is not uncommon to see a mid-grade soldier with 40-60 of these things. It has become more of a pacifier to reward soldiers without giving them a full-blown ribbon award which takes paperwork. The soldeirs don't seem to mind though and at least they are being recognized for their efforts. Most of the orders I get for these things are senior grade NCOs and Officers that want the display case to hold at least 100 challenge coins. I have started incorparating drawers into them to hold the overflow. Here is one I did a few months ago on short notice (it explains the lack of carving). More recently I have begun to engrave the soldiers name and branch into the back panel and different qualification badges into the drawer fronts.

myshop1044
03-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Beaufiful work ,I like the finish on all of it. It like someone said a while back a set cabinets are just cabinets with out the finish.

great work and finish.

MYshop