PDA

View Full Version : lid issues

bogwojny
03-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Was about to start up tghe CW and keep getting 'please close door' its closed but thats as far as the machine will go...any suggestions?????

henry1
03-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Was about to start up tghe CW and keep getting 'please close door' its closed but thats as far as the machine will go...any suggestions?????
You have to change cover switch when that happens to bad your not close I would show you how
Henry

mtylerfl
03-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Hello,

The "please close cover" possibilities...(it's the LEFT-side door switch causing the message) <<edited<

1) dust in the switch - work it in/out with a small dowel after squirting contact cleaner and/or by blowing compressed air into it
2) switch contacts are tarnished - remove the switch and clean the contacts or replace the switch (I think Radio Shack has comparable micro switches if you need one ASAP or order from CarveWright)
3) the plastic cover is warped and not pressing in the switch when closed - check the machine head for "level" - if not level, it "warps" the clear cover
4) loose switch wire - trace the wires and check for good connection

item #1 above is the most common cause I've come across - usually just dust in the switch

bogwojny
03-19-2011, 01:26 PM
I used a meter on the switch itself and its working. Could be the two connections at that point or further back into the machine where the leads begin. So is there a pdf or whatever that shows this area and where does it actually run to?

lynnfrwd
03-19-2011, 01:32 PM

I ran into this issue while doing demos in Michigan not too long ago. I didn't have any compressed air, so every once and awhile I had to blow into the switch real hard to clear the dust. Embarrassing, but it worked.

fwharris
03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Click on the maintenance link in my signature and go to the "head cover" removal pdf. It will show where the cover switch wires goes to..

bogwojny
03-19-2011, 02:05 PM
I ringed out the wires and they are all good. unpluged to the board on bottom of machine then tried again still get the 'please close lid' message. The lid isnt warped checked that. The switch ingages when closed but theres nothing still but once in a while the pit starts to turn but just for a second. Would this be due to a bad switch itself or something on the main board?

PCW
03-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I thought the close cover door message came from the keyboard side switch. Wires runs from the left switch to the Y termination board. White wire goes toward the center of the machine. Try blowing out the keyboard side switch.

mtylerfl
03-20-2011, 07:46 AM
I thought the close cover door message came from the keyboard side switch. Wires runs from the left switch to the Y termination board. White wire goes toward the center of the machine. Try blowing out the keyboard side switch.

PCW is correct! It is the LEFT switch that triggers the "close cover" error. (Right switch is for the Cut Motor.) Sorry for my confusion! It's actually "easy" to remember - the right switch is closest to the motor - so that's the one for the Cut Motor...the left one is for the cover. Brain-freeze on my part.

mtylerfl
03-20-2011, 07:55 AM
I ringed out the wires and they are all good. unpluged to the board on bottom of machine then tried again still get the 'please close lid' message. The lid isnt warped checked that. The switch ingages when closed but theres nothing still but once in a while the pit starts to turn but just for a second. Would this be due to a bad switch itself or something on the main board?

Try this...tape the cover closed (at both sides) and see if that works as a temporary work-around. If the contacts are tarnished, that may not work...if it's a "physical" issue (i.e., the lid is slightly cattywhompus), it may do the trick. Look closely at the "seam" of the lid when it is closed...if the lid doesn't lay flat/evenly at the bottom, it may be the "warping" issue described earlier. I recall a user had the same problem and discovered one of the metal rod hinges had worn the plastic where it goes into the lid. That led to the lid being uneven and caused intermittent close cover errors. If I remember correctly, he was able to 'wedge' something in the hinge area to make it behave.

TerryT
03-20-2011, 08:08 AM
The two MOST common issues are;
1. For one reason or another the lid does not fully engage the switch to make a proper connection.
a. Make sure lid if fitting properly and nothing is in the way preventing it from closing all the way (dust, etc).
b. Loosen the switch and adjust it forward. They sometimes move back due to use and don't engage fully.

2. Due to vibration, time or the will of the carve gods, the switch contacts oxidize (for lack of a better word) and even though they close completely it is not a good connection.
a. remove and open the switch. Using very fine sand paper or an emery board, slide the abrasive between the contact points several times on each side to clean. Snap together and reinstall. I have only had to do this once and have not had the problem come back in three years.

cnsranch
03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
My cover switch is real sensitive - it either works, or jumps into the "close cover" zone.

Try this - with the "close cover" message showing, and with the lid closed, reach the fingers of your left hand into the machine right where the switch is, give the lid and that part of the machine a big squeeze - if the message changes to "press enter to proceed", you've got issues with alignment of the switch - it's either set back too far, preventing activation, or it's loose, or it's catty-whompous (that's a technical term I learned from AW) etc.

First step would be to loosen both screws that hold the switch to the machine, make sure the switch is as far forward as possible, tighten the screws, see if that takes care of the problem. I've even gone so far as to tighten one screw, loosen the other, and that fixes the problem.

I messed with the dang thing for two weekends, and haven't had a problem now for about six months.