PDA

View Full Version : problem with carving bench legs

gregsolano
03-19-2011, 12:19 AM
I am carving legs to a bench I am making. There is a native American design and then I outlined the shape of the legs thinking I would just do the final cut later using the outlines so I would have two matching legs and could mass produce them later if they sold. For some reason the lines I have it cutting for the leg outlines are triple carving. I did the same leg on two different machines with two different memory cards and both machines did the same thing so I guess its in my software design or something? I am attaching a photo of what it is doing and the MPC file. Any of you CW experts want to chime in on whats happening? I have looked over the MPC, carved three legs on two machines. Each leg I carved was a fresh upload to the two memory cards and I deleted the old mpc each time I reloaded. I am perplexed?

fwharris
03-19-2011, 02:16 AM
The MPC looks fine. Only thing I saw on it was the max depth setting for the out line is .100 for a .200 total depth. This will make it do the carve in 3 passes.

Is your actual board 1 1/2" thick? My best guess is a tracking problem. Are you using tape on the tracking roller edge? Are your out feed tables level and are you using extra out feed support rollers?

Capt Bruce
03-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Had the same reactions as FWHarris while I looked over the MPC you provided. Did all 3 outline carves go to the same depth? The photo seems to show them getting deeper as they work down the board length. I'd be suspicios of the tracking as well (tape?). Hope we can help you work through this.

gregsolano
03-19-2011, 09:42 AM
yes I used tape, I always do. since I am not actually cutting out the leg maybe I will do just one light pass for the outline but I still dont know why it did this and on two different machines?

bjbethke
03-19-2011, 10:37 AM
I am carving legs to a bench I am making. There is a native American design and then I outlined the shape of the legs thinking I would just do the final cut later using the outlines so I would have two matching legs and could mass produce them later if they sold. For some reason the lines I have it cutting for the leg outlines are triple carving. I did the same leg on two different machines with two different memory cards and both machines did the same thing so I guess its in my software design or something? I am attaching a photo of what it is doing and the MPC file. Any of you CW experts want to chime in on whats happening? I have looked over the MPC, carved three legs on two machines. Each leg I carved was a fresh upload to the two memory cards and I deleted the old mpc each time I reloaded. I am perplexed?
It looks like you are trying to carve too close to the Key Pad side of your board. I think you need to, NOT carve closer than 1/4 inch from that edge.

It is OK to carve off the edge of the other side.

DocWheeler
03-19-2011, 03:44 PM
The only other thing that I can think of is that the board is long enough to need support at the ends so it does not tip-up to the point of raising off the brass roller.
If this is the problem, even the first pass might be skewed.