PDA

View Full Version : New to the world of Carve Wright

Marc Herring
03-17-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm very new to the Carve Wright, and not too mechanically inclined. I was doing a project and looked over at the carvewright and the flex shaft was smoking where the trash tie twisty meets the arc guide. I'm guessing that this is not a good thing. I paused the machine and am now wondering if I need to perform some maintence like lubrication??? What and where should I get for this process...and, can I do this while the machine is on pause, I'm only half way through the project and don't really want to loose it.

I'm sure this knowledge is written down somewhere, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask a question, and say hello.

Marc

Digitalwoodshop
03-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Marc,

A few machines have slipped through without proper lubrication of the Flex Shaft.... And the Twist was too tight too.... Lube with Chain Lube with Molly...

Lots to read on the topic in Tips and Tricks.... And use the " " on each side of the search term. "flex shaft lube" and you will find tons of stuff....

A new flex is $75.00 plus $15.00 Shipping and not covered under Warranty.... I would Quit now and get the lubrication problem fixed... Finishing the project could cost you a new shaft....

And you can start the project over and either let it run and air cut the cut areas or do a masking in designer.... Lots to read on that in tips and Tricks... This is a Pilot Error as it is recommended in Tips and Tricks to Lubricate a NEW Flex just in case....

If the Flex got pinched then the inner spring damper can cause a problem.... Metal to metal heat.... I had that..... And you can OVER Lube the shaft and the lube gets into the top Truck and into the High Speed Spindle Bearings and make them go bad.... so do your homework before you finish this project....

Good Luck and WELCOME...... How do you like that.... Advice at 1:30 AM East Coast Time....

AL

AskBud
03-18-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm very new to the Carve Wright, and not too mechanically inclined. I was doing a project and looked over at the carvewright and the flex shaft was smoking where the trash tie twisty meets the arc guide. I'm guessing that this is not a good thing. I paused the machine and am now wondering if I need to perform some maintence like lubrication??? What and where should I get for this process...and, can I do this while the machine is on pause, I'm only half way through the project and don't really want to loose it.

I'm sure this knowledge is written down somewhere, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask a question, and say hello.

Marc
The "tie" should have been removed prior to use.
There are lots of threads that warn to lube the Flexshaft prior to use as well.
Search for the word "Moly".

Once you do the lube, be sure to wipe it down so the lube does not migrate into the motor or the Y-truck as it will cause additional trouble.

Here is a partial quote from the machine manual:

Lubrication

: Several areas of the CarveWright machine will require

occasional cleaning and re-lubrication.
o

The flexshaft core should be cleaned and re-lubricated only if it begins

to exhibit heating during operation. To access the core, first unplug the
CarveWright machine from power. Firmly grasp the flexshaft outer
sheath where it is snapped into the machine’s cutting head and pull it
free from the head. The core is contained within the sheath, and
should slide out freely when grasped between finger and thumb.
Inspect the core for debris and clean with a lint free cloth if necessary.
The recommended lubricant is a commercially available chain lube with
Moly. Spray the lubricant onto the core and let sit for an hour.
My note (Wipe it down, with a lint free cloth, prior to the next step).
After applying the specified lubricant slide the core back into its sheath.
When near full insertion, the core may need to be carefully rotated with
the fingers to ensure that its square end engages correctly with the
cutting motor. Once the core is fully inserted in the sheath, it can once
again be snapped into the cutting head. Rotate the bit chuck if
necessary to get the square end to engage with the chuck.
AskBud

gregsolano
03-18-2011, 12:46 AM
I use liquid wrench Chain spray lube with moly, hard to find but pep boys sometimes has it. There are other liquid wrench lubes but only one with moly. It is in a black can. Many reccomend crane Cam Lube but it is super expensive and has to be ordered over the internet or special ordered at a automotive store. Remove the flex shaft from the truck and carefully pull the flex shaft core out and squirt a little Chain Lube with Molly and work it in. do this 6 inches from either end and in the middle.
DO NOT OVER Lubricate it... Over Lubricate and it wicks into the top hat and sits on the top spindle bearing, if it get into the high speed bearing the bearing can be damaged. You need to look for damage due to it having been smoking. You may have to order a replacement. You might look around the forum for suggestions on how often to lube the flex shaft since I too have only had my machine about 6 weeks.

gregsolano
03-18-2011, 12:48 AM
Oh well I guess we were all typing at the same time so you got plenty of answers.

Marc Herring
03-18-2011, 04:14 PM
well...I trashed the project...too bad, it was really turning out nice. I appreciate the responses from all. I'm going to have to go and acquire the spray lube. I've tried to disengage the connect shaft...it must be on really tight as it didn't release, but, I'll try and exert a bit more muscle to it. thanks.

M

Digitalwoodshop
03-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Twist and pull up.... There is a ball bearing and clip holding it....

AL

AskBud
03-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Twist and pull up.... There is a ball bearing and clip holding it....

AL
Be sure to grasp the flex on the fat end, as close to the truck as you can! If you grip it higher up, you could pull the outer sheath apart.
AskBud

badger2424
03-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Easy to do, turn machine off, grasp as close as you can at the top of the CW with a soft grip and get your knuckles in the grove at the top, squeeze tight to put pressure on the bottom of your hand and the top of the cover, twist 1/4 in back & forth and use leverage with your hand on top of the CW and pull up at the same time. Should come right out.

Marc Herring
03-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Got the shaft off. went to the store and was only able to purchase a solid lube with moly. No spray was available. I applied in small amounts to the shaft and will hope for the best tomorrow. Thanks all...

snowghost52
03-19-2011, 01:01 AM
New to all this and was looking for cost of convention 2011 in huston was unable to locate it

lynnfrwd
03-19-2011, 09:51 AM
New to all this and was looking for cost of convention 2011 in huston was unable to locate it

$200 before may 1, then $250. Limited to 180 attendees.

Purchase from online store.

Welcome to CW!!

Capt Bruce
03-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Sorry you went through this situation Marc,

I'd recommend trying any auto parts stores in your area as probably the best source for the spray chain lube with Moly. Like yourself I smoked a shaft through not keeping it sufficiently lubed and that expensive little error cost me both the part and the time down from carving. With some time to kill and no carving I went back through all the Forum posts and found what seemed like the best of the advice and tips.

Got an empty full size coffee can with it's plastic lid. Pulled out the old flex shaft core and coiled it in the can bottom. Soaked the shaft with spray lube in a generous puddle in the can. The theory is that the shaft being stretched somewhat in the coil opens the windings enough to really let the oil soak into the bundle. Next day I wiped it down and let it hang over the can to get rid of any excess by dripping for a day. Then finally flexed and wiped it down one more time and reinstalled it with the cleaned spring casing. My new shaft is currently soaking in the can until I cycle them out. I've recorded the machine hours at soaking on a piece of tape on the can.

Since I gave it that treatment it has not even felt warm to the touch in over 80+ hours of carving with some projects that carved 10+ hours. Regardless of the felt temperature I'll switch between the two flex shaft cores at about 100 hours just to clean them and keep the situation cool. Hope this may help others who want to keep their machines humming.

Marc Herring
03-21-2011, 10:40 PM
well...with the lube purchased and up and running...now a new wrinkle...I'm getting frequent 'power flucuations' errors. Seems that this is a recurring problem (along with others). Sorry to be so cynical....but, for this kind of money, one would think that these issues would be worked out by R&D. This machine is brand spankin new and I'm a bit discouraged by the down time. I don't run it hard, have it on its own plug in, keep it clean and it feels like a lemon. I'll call carvewright tomorrow. I'm not good a mechanical repairs and don't appreciate having to perform them, that why I didn't purchase a used machine. sheesh...no breaks.