PDA

View Full Version : Help With Pattern

DaveN
03-17-2011, 05:25 PM
This is a scan that I did, its a stile from a balcony that was salvaged from a remodel job
at the Yale Law School. Because its a deep carve ( .680) the tapered carving bit is making some of the areas at the top a little thin or distorted. I've numbered some of the areas that need fixing. The first one, number 1, (I don't know what that thing is, I'll just call it a peapod) you can see it looks great in the pattern editor, but not so good in the desinger. I did a test run and it came out just like you see it in the desinger. The peas are all distorted and the stem is about a 1/32 thick at the surface.I was wondering if there was someone who is good at editing patterns, that could help me docter this up by making the peas rounder and the stems thicker. Part of the problem is that the bottom of the carving isn't flat,its cove shaped so when I try to adjust the depth it just doesn't look the same, it losses a lot of what makes the original
look so good.

If you think you can fix it, Pm me and I'll send you the pattern.

liquidguitars
03-17-2011, 05:33 PM
try using menu, carving, "draft" this will thicken it up a tad.. to make a flat bottom add a box and set the depth just above the highest in-perfection, if the bottom is curved that can be added.

TerryT
03-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Also make sure you have your bit optimization set to best.

fwharris
03-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Dave,

If all looks good in the pattern editor:

At what height are you carving this? If set to high some times it will distort a bit.

Great pick up from the remodel job too!!

DaveN
03-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the input.

I have the optimization set to best and the draft was not enough or a little to much, maybe if the draft tool had a slide bar so it could be set in between.
I don't think there's much that can be done to the PTN file, it has to be fixed in the IMG file. I think I have the peas fixed, I added a darker color to the the white areas then blured it. But the stems I just can't seem to get it to look right.

lawrence
03-20-2011, 10:20 AM
try moving your optimization and draft settings and then re-applying them... I've found that sometimes that can "jolt" the program

As others have pointed out-- mess with the "height" a bit too.... that can make a difference in details

Nice project--
Lawrence