PDA

View Full Version : Cutting motor Stops

Johnny49
03-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I was cutting a pattern when I noticed the high pitch of the cutting motor started to change like the motor RPMs were changing. Finally the motor stopped completely however the truck continued accross the board just like it was cutting. That is until I got an axis error.
I checked the forum here and attempted to check all the usual answers. Everything seemed fine so I took the cutting motor out, opened it up and cleaned it. I also cleaned the brushes then replaced the motor. The motor worked fine and I finished the project.

Not the end of story:
Next project the same thing occurred. Now the motor wont even engage during set up.
I turned the bit by hand several times then after the "load bit" function the motor attempted to turn slowely and I would get a check cutting motor error, or a RPM sensor error.

I need help. My thought was to try replacing the RPM chip, but I don't know where to go to purchase one.

Can I get some Ideas???

liquidguitars
03-16-2011, 07:11 PM
I would check out the cut motor brushes first..

Johnny49
03-16-2011, 07:46 PM
When I took the motor apart I removed the brushes hit them on some slight sandpaper and whiped them off.... they seemed to be fine, they were about 1/2" thick

liquidguitars
03-16-2011, 08:19 PM
could be the cover switch then " far right"

Johnny49
03-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Nope, I disabled them a long time ago. I checked them.

liquidguitars
03-17-2011, 12:43 AM
I would check the brushes one more time to make sure the contacts are clean, barring that you could remove the motor and test it.

Johnny49
03-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Ok well I will give it another try, I don't see a lot of other responces ha ha ha.... and it did work the first time for a short while

Johnny49
03-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Ok, I cleaned the brushes and copper again used a soft sandpaper and WD40
It's up and working again (For Now)
Where can I but some new brushes for it, anybody know?

fwharris
03-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Ok, I cleaned the brushes and copper again used a soft sandpaper and WD40
It's up and working again (For Now)
Where can I but some new brushes for it, anybody know?

You will need to order them from LHR....

dougmsbbs
03-17-2011, 02:20 PM
You will need to order them from LHR....

And make up a wish list of anything else you need and order everything at the same time. Get your money's worth from that high shipping charge.

Ike
03-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I found some at my local Ace hardware store, I can't remember the size. Maybe somebody knows or call LHR, the brushes are not anything special so I would imagine any hardware stores that carry brushes should have them? I live in a small town and my Ace hardware carries brushes!

Ike

Johnny49
03-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks to everyone that responded. I've carved about 4 boards since the last cleaning and it's still working great.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you....

Digitalwoodshop
03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't recommend using ACE Hardware Brushes as the length of the copper tether inside the spring may be longer. This will let the metal of the spring reach the copper commutator and cause damage that will result in you having to buy a new Cut Motor. The LHR Version stops the brush early as can be seen in my pictures at about 250 hours.

The money you save over buying the $5.00 Brushes from CarveWright will be lost in buying a $??.00 Motor.... Order the Brushes with other stuff to save on the $15.00 Shipping.

The Copper Commutator in the picture is from my first machine with 1000 hours and 4 brush changes. I expect to get possibly 2 or 3 more before the copper is worn too thin.... See the Shoulders....

And I would never recommend something that has the potential to damage your machine.

First Picture is 2007 first brush change and the 2nd is Oct 2010... See the date on the picture.... See the REALLY Short Brushes in picture 3.... This is a 290 hour brush.... That is why I recommend changing at 250 as a broken $40.00 bit is not worth it..... when the cut motor stalls....

AL