PDA

View Full Version : Z-Axis 238

unitedcases
03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Alright guys, sorry I havent been around for a while but I just got back from all kinds of deployments and I am trying to carve but I keep getting the 238 stall message. So I cleaned it out really well, the carving bit only has about 50 hrs on it and I always wipe the rails down really well after each carve. I even took the back cover off of the z motor and cleaned off the encoder as well and I looked at all the cables and ribbons and they all look good. The machine has over 1000 hrs and its the original z truck with the rock upgrade. Anybody got any ideas?

mtylerfl
03-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Hello,

We may need more info...version of the software?...using board long enough to stay under both rollers at all times?...is it happening all the time, or just on a particular MPC?...is a bearing "frozen" (won't turn -causing binding)?

Oh, and Welcome back! (sorry you're having trouble, though!)

liquidguitars
03-13-2011, 04:53 PM
could be a few dirty bearings on the truck, I need to replace mine or clean them every 200 hrs or so, I pull the truck and check manually for dirt on each one WD40 will clean.

I would also check the carving bit to make sure it's not to low in the chuck.

unitedcases
03-13-2011, 08:19 PM
I cant believe I am saying this but the bearings are the one thing I didnt check. I have a 250 hr cycle that I do where I do a real "deep" cleaning and I change the cut motor brushes and the y axis bearings. I need to add the big bearings on the z truck to that cycle, since I have it mostly apart anyway. That does sound right though.

unitedcases
03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Yep, I just went and took the truck off and only one of the bearings "freewheel" like its supposed to so I will be adding it to my 250 hr regime. I am going to just order 8 so that way I have a fresh spare after I put these on. Thanks for the help LG.

Alan Malmstrom
03-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Cut Motor Brushes, Z axis bearings, y axis bearings? Where does one order these parts? I don't see them listed on the carvewright.com site. I usually get my bearings from vxb.com if I need some but I have yet to need parts for my new machine. And other than that I noticed that there is a duct that leads to the cut motor from the inner front left corner of the machine cover. Does this feed dust in through the motor and out the muffler?

AskBud
03-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Cut Motor Brushes, Z axis bearings, y axis bearings? Where does one order these parts? I don't see them listed on the carvewright.com site. I usually get my bearings from vxb.com if I need some but I have yet to need parts for my new machine. And other than that I noticed that there is a duct that leads to the cut motor from the inner front left corner of the machine cover. Does this feed dust in through the motor and out the muffler?
It is the reverse. That duct blows some of the air from the motor to the cutting surface. The motor , however, will pick up dust that circulates within the cutting area. You are probably, currently, seeing dust on the motor. If you have a top mounted Vacuum Head, you will not have as much dust migrate up to the motor as those not using this modification.
Here is a link that show three of the many you might use/make.
http://www.wix.com/littleredwoodshop/cnccorner/dust-collection
AskBud

badger2424
03-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Allen, I think your machine doesn't need those for a while, but I think you have to get the main x,y and z from LHR. The small bearings for the y and z motor (5mm) for the gear shaft, you can get elsewhere (I got the 10 pac Here, http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/5mm/kit768.) LHR doesn't sell these for some reason. I had bought a new y motor from LHR, and within 30 days the inside bearing locked up and stopped all my carvings until I put a backup in, called LHR for a bearing but they wouldn't send just the bearing, which I would have been happy with, had to send a new motor. Backup still running fine so I haven't put it in yet. The other main bearings you can buy of LHR for $10/piece.

liquidguitars
03-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Yep, I just went and took the truck off and only one of the bearings "freewheel" like its supposed to so I will be adding it to my 250 hr regime. I am going to just order 8 so that way I have a fresh spare after I put these on. Thanks for the help LG.

Good news.. I have a backup set 2. I noticed that once you can get at them WD40 and some compressed air will help clean them untill you get the replacments.

henry1
03-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Allen, I think your machine doesn't need those for a while, but I think you have to get the main x,y and z from LHR. The small bearings for the y and z motor (5mm) for the gear shaft, you can get elsewhere (I got the 10 pac Here, http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/5mm/kit768.) LHR doesn't sell these for some reason. I had bought a new y motor from LHR, and within 30 days the inside bearing locked up and stopped all my carvings until I put a backup in, called LHR for a bearing but they wouldn't send just the bearing, which I would have been happy with, had to send a new motor. Backup still running fine so I haven't put it in yet. The other main bearings you can buy of LHR for $10/piece.
Badger,, are you saying those bearing would fit on the shaft of the gear for the Y & Z motor I no LHR will not sel them you have to get the whole moteor and mount
Henry

Digitalwoodshop
03-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Lots of GREAT Advice.... I agree... Bearings first.... they dry up and freeze.... I mark bearing with a black marker to see if it is turning or sliding...

Do you have the new Z Bundle with the 14 pin FFC Cable or the 2007 18 pin version?

You could have a bad FFC Cable, it flexes and the wires will snap over time and give intermittent problems.

1000 Hours... Good Job !!!!

unitedcases
03-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Good news.. I have a backup set 2. I noticed that once you can get at them WD40 and some compressed air will help clean them untill you get the replacments.

I did notice that when I sprayed the WD40 onto them they got better but they still felt like crap, and I did order a backup pair. I think adding that step to my 250HR regime will make all the difference.

badger2424
03-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Been gone for a few days Henry1, yes they fit on the inside and outside of the big gear shaft. , those are the bearings I ordered from a suggestion from the forum. Haven't tried any yet but they look the same and they also look better made than the bearings from my 2007 y truck motor because they have no paper inserts like the old ones. I know the inside diameter is 5mm and the outside is 11mm and the other guys can chime in with their knowledge and make sure that's the right size for the y and z motors large gear bearings so I don't have to search and make sure.