PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying

Andy_in_Indy
01-09-2007, 09:59 AM
I am thinking of buying a Carvewright, but I want to do more than just CNC wood (although that would be most of it).

I saw in another post where someone was having trouble while carving Corian plastic. I would like to use phenolic, and am also hoping to use the machine to drill Printed circuit boards (1mm - 1.5 mm holes). Assuming the board is mounted well, how precise and accurate is the machine - will I be able to drill holes that small to 1/16 inch depth? I don't think this would be strong enough to drill though fiberglass.

Also, using the v-tip to mill a printed circuit board (remove the plated copper over phenolic) - would that cause excess stress to the machine?

-Andy in Indy

Jeff_Birt
01-09-2007, 10:10 AM
I too have thought about this but this is not the machine to try and facricate circuit boards on. CarveWright does not reccomend cutting any type of metal on the machine as it's circuit boards and other parts are not protected from the metal shavings. Even if you could protect the working of the machine from the metal shavings, there is no way (currently) to control the feeds and speeds of the cutting process and the software can only work with a limited number of bit sizes. which means that you would wind up milling/drilling too mfast for you bit sizes and break them.