PDA

View Full Version : Transportation

lynnfrwd
03-11-2011, 04:30 PM
TRANSPORTATION

William P. Hobby Airport

Distance from hotel: 13 mi.

Drive time: 20 min.

Directions: 45 South to exit 26 to Bay Area Blvd. (away from Mall)to Texas avenue, go left

Transportation to and from Hobby Airport

Type Typical Minimum Charge

Limousine 75.00 USD

Super Shuttle 15.00 USD

Rental Car 30.00 USD

Taxi 38.00 USD

Houston Intercontinental Airport

Distance from hotel: 66 mi.

Drive time: 1 hr.

Directions: 45 South to exit 26 to Bay Area Blvd.(away from mall) make a left into Texas Avenue

Transportation to and from Intercontinental Airport

Type Typical Minimum Charge

Limousine 100.00 USD

Super Shuttle 45.00 USD

Rental Car Call hotel for information

Taxi 75.00 USD

Use this area for coordinating shared travel.

chebytrk
03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
any dates yet? I'm in for sure...

lynnfrwd
03-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Great!!! Yes, May 12 & 13th.

chebytrk
03-11-2011, 04:54 PM
I see the sponsorship prices, but maybe I don't quite understand yet. Is there a price for a person to attend a workshop?... as a "attendee"? I see this will be a Thursday and Friday. Is that pretty much set in stone now? I ask because some people might start making hotel reservations pretty soon.

lynnfrwd
03-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Registration to attend the workshops is $200 before May 1st and $250 starting May 1st. It covers both days.

The sponsorships are a way for folks to advertise their own personal businesses even if they themselves cannot attend the event and to lower costs for attendees and speakers.

Those dates are set and we are a "go"!!!

Capt Bruce
03-11-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm pricing out the package fares to fly in Tue night to be there Wed to Friday evening. Anybody who might like to share a rental car at Hobby for the period in Houston? Flights look somewhat outrageous right now but I've put the online services in search mode from Atlanta to see if any bargains start to appear. Just can't take the two extra days to drive to and from.

lynnfrwd
03-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Southwest Airlines flies into Hobby and they usually have the best prices.

lynnfrwd
03-17-2011, 01:03 PM
If you are driving and can pick up & drop off people along the way...post here.

If you are looking to "thumb" a ride...post here.

If you are flying into Hobby or Intercontinental (not recommended) Airports and want to share rental car, shuttle or taxi...post here.

robboz4
04-08-2011, 05:42 PM
http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon1.gif Anyone need a ride to/from IAH?

I will be attending the conference.
Arrive IAH @ 11:25pm 5/11
I have rental car arranged and staying at the conference hotel.
Leave IAH @6:00am 5/14
Taxi fare = a couple of beers in the bar ! :smile:
i've only arranged a small car so first come first served.
Let me know.

Cheers
Dave

LittleRedWoodshop
04-10-2011, 02:36 AM
I will be leaving Kentucky on the 10th (my birthday) and driving to Texas. 16 hour drive ... I will be passing thru Nashville and Little Rock along the way.

Link to map http://classic.mapquest.com/mq/7-NFptV3Oz3atYJXV*

AllThingsWood
04-11-2011, 03:15 PM
I am arriving at Hobby at 11:45PM Wednesday and have room in car for someone who need ride to Hilton;

jaroot
04-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Wish I could be there! You guys have a great time!

chebytrk
04-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I'll be staying at the Days Inn & Suites close to the Hilton. Looking to see if anyone else will be staying there as well.

rcdages
04-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Jerry,

What is the cost of a room at the Days Inn & Suites were you are staying?

chebytrk
04-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Jerry,

What is the cost of a room at the Days Inn & Suites were you are staying?

They are $52 per nite. Supposed to be real close to the Hilton from what I can see on the map.

ffd95
04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
You mention flying into Hobby, and there's a super shuttle? What service is this and how can I get more info? If the boss agrees to let me off, I'm going to fly in late wednesday night, and fly out saturday morning.
Thanks,
Brad Doyle
Fairview Heights, IL

lynnfrwd
04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
You mention flying into Hobby, and there's a super shuttle? What service is this and how can I get more info? If the boss agrees to let me off, I'm going to fly in late wednesday night, and fly out saturday morning.
Thanks,
Brad Doyle
Fairview Heights, IL

Here is a website link: http://www.supershuttle.com/en/HOUAirportShuttleHouston.html

Pricing for it came from Hilton Garden Inn website.

lynnfrwd
04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
I am arriving at Hobby at 11:45PM Wednesday and have room in car for someone who need ride to Hilton;

ffd95:

You may want to ride together in AllThingsWood's rental car, if you are both arriving late Wednesday.

fwharris
04-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Looking to maybe catch a ride with anyone! From Hobby airport to hotel on Tuesday May 10th. My flight gets in around 7 PM.

lynnfrwd
04-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Looking to maybe catch a ride with anyone! From Hobby airport to hotel on Tuesday May 10th. My flight gets in around 7 PM.

CW StartU group arrives on Tuesday night for Wednesday training session. Any others of you flying in Tuesday night, let me know. There are quite a few coming for Wednesday training, so we will find you someone Floyd!

Glad you get to join us for the CW StartU training and Conference on Thursday & Friday!!!

fwharris
04-20-2011, 05:57 PM
CW StartU group arrives on Tuesday night for Wednesday training session. Any others of you flying in Tuesday night, let me know. There are quite a few coming for Wednesday training, so we will find you someone Floyd!

Glad you get to join us for the CW StartU training and Conference on Thursday & Friday!!!

Well a big THANK YOU! Connie!..

Not soon after my post I did get a phone call from a fellow carver who is coming in about the same time so there might be 2 of us.. All else fails we might be taking the shuttle bus.. but we will be there!!

Capt Bruce
04-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Floyd,
Drop me a PM and we'll compare schedules. If you don't get a better offer, I'm flying in about an hour after you and staying at the Hilton and you are welcome to join me in the roller skate I'm renting. Bruce

ffd95
04-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Greetings all,
I'm flying in on Wednesday, supposed to arrive around 10pm, flying back home Saturday morning. Not sure on a car rental yet. I currently have reservations at motel 6, anyone else staying there and will gladly share car rental fees. Let me know.
Brad Doyle
Fairview Heights, IL

AllThingsWood
04-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Brad,
Are you attending the conference in Houston? If you still need a ride from airport, I have space available. I will be arriving at Hobby about 11:45PM on Wednesday evening and leaving from the same airport on Saturday morning at 6AM. Let me know, as I would enjoy the company.

chebytrk
04-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Just to kinda put it out there.... I'll be staying at the Days Inn & Suites about a mile away from the Hilton (according to the map). Arriving Wed at airport around 1pm and taking a cab to the hotel. It'll be a nice "brisk" walk to the Hilton so if anyone else is staying at same place, let me know via PM.
See ya'll soon! Bring your cameras & camcorders! Be there or be square ! JerryB

lynnfrwd
04-29-2011, 03:55 PM
JerryB

Although it is a nice stroll past our Regional Hospital and one of our lovely parks and a relatively safe area, I wouldn't suggest huffin' it! Have your heard about our Texas Heat? Besides, I'm fairly positive someone will give you a ride as I think there may be others there at the Days Inn.

Now the LaQuinta, Extended Stay, Staybridge, Hampton, and InTown Suites are close enough to walk and maybe the Comfort Inn & Holiday Inn, but the Days Inn would be quite an ambitious trek!

chebytrk
04-29-2011, 04:27 PM
JerryB

Although it is a nice stroll past our Regional Hospital and one of our lovely parks and a relatively safe area, I wouldn't suggest huffin' it! Have your heard about our Texas Heat? Besides, I'm fairly positive someone will give you a ride as I think there may be others there at the Days Inn.

Now the LaQuinta, Extended Stay, Staybridge, Hampton, and InTown Suites are close enough to walk and maybe the Comfort Inn & Holiday Inn, but the Days Inn would be quite an ambitious trek!

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll hear from someone who's staying at the Days Inn as well so I can "bum" a ride. Thanks again.. see ya soon !

gregsolano
04-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll hear from someone who's staying at the Days Inn as well so I can "bum" a ride. Thanks again.. see ya soon !

I just paid registration today and I will be looking for a room, Did you get a good rate at Days Inn? Is that the one at 750 W Nasa Parkway ? If I end up staying there I am driving in my own car so maybe I can give you a ride.

tierman
04-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Gene,
I have a flight out on Sat.@ 6:45AM.If you would, keep me in mind please.
Roger Tierman
Elcho, Wisconsin

chebytrk
04-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I just paid registration today and I will be looking for a room, Did you get a good rate at Days Inn? Is that the one at 750 W Nasa Parkway ? If I end up staying there I am driving in my own car so maybe I can give you a ride.

There is a special in the Internet for 55 per night. It's on 201 Texas ave. th
Their phone is 281-332-1001

robboz4
05-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I was looking at the directions from IAH and it says there are toll roads involved. Can someone give me the price and payment methods please? I hate not having the right change to give to an attendant or any loose change to throw into the automated machines.

See you all (or is it y'all :-) ) next week.
Cheers
Dave

lynnfrwd
05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
What time of day are you going to be crossing our vast city? (You will quickly determine that it NEVER ENDS not at least until you're half way to Dallas!!!)

If it is "rush hour" (7 AM to 9 AM) or (4:30 PM to 7 PM), you might could take Beltway 8 - I'm not sure what toll would be or how many booths. (It has been under construction so I'm not real sure, probably 3 or so booths, plus crossing the ship channel bridge, might cost you about $6+ total) I wouldn't take the Beltway or Hardy Toll Road, personally.

MY SUGGESTION (no matter what time of day!!): From the Airport, go West on Greens Road towards Interstate Highway 59 and head south towards Downtown Houston. Then as you get to the south side of downtown area and see the George R Brown Convention Center (White with Red things on it) - stay to the right for the 45 South exit towards Galveston. Stay on that until you get to Bay Area Blvd (Baybrook Mall) exit.

Google maps shows to take 45 all of the way, but 59 South has more lanes and moves faster. The northern portion of 45 into downtown can be bad.

Just my two cents!

robboz4
05-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks. I get in late Wednesday night and will go back early Saturday morning. I'll try to convince the mapping software to take your suggested route.

Cheers

Dave

AllThingsWood
05-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Roger,
I still have room in my car. Im arriving at Hobby late on wednesday evening and flying out Sat am at 6:00am. You are sure welcome to ride a long. Just let me know by email. You can contact me at supersales@q.com.
Thanks

chebytrk
05-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Still haven't heard of anyone staying at the Days Inn & Suites yet. Hope to run in to someone so I can catch a ride to the workshops. Will gladly donate something for gas....... Will be arriving at Hobby Airport around 1pm on Wed and taking a cab to the hotel. See yall soon! JerryB

gregsolano
05-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Still haven't heard of anyone staying at the Days Inn & Suites yet. Hope to run in to someone so I can catch a ride to the workshops. Will gladly donate something for gas....... Will be arriving at Hobby Airport around 1pm on Wed and taking a cab to the hotel. See yall soon! JerryB

I looked at mapquest and I will be driving right past your hotel. I am at microtel Inn and suite, 1620 Nasa RD 1, houston tx. I would be glad to pick you up on the way if no one offers who is at the days inn. I will PM you my phone number.

Greg

lynnfrwd
05-06-2011, 05:11 PM
MY SUGGESTION (no matter what time of day!!): From the Airport, go West on Greens Road towards Interstate Highway 59 and head south towards Downtown Houston. Then as you get to the south side of downtown area and see the George R Brown Convention Center (White with Red things on it) - stay to the right for the 45 South exit towards Galveston. Stay on that until you get to Bay Area Blvd (Baybrook Mall) exit.

Sorry, not GREENS Road! It should be Will Clayton Parkway.

I am attaching an overly simplified map of key locations and what is a tollway and what is not a tollway.