PDA

View Full Version : Textures

porkysbbq
01-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Is there a way to import textures so that you can use them in the select texture box? I see a search function but this button appears to do nothing any help would be great :?

BobHill
01-09-2007, 01:28 PM
The texture option is a TOGGLE, not a choice, so NO all the Texture icon will do is turn on or off whatever texture (wood type) you have chosen or the "bland" redish plain color. I believe it was Jeff (sorry, if memory is once again failing on identity of author) who outlined how to change the options for the wood, however, to include something like a flat grey color ( Edit, Board Settings, Stain/Finish ) or is this what you were looking for to begin with?

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Jeff_Birt
01-09-2007, 01:47 PM
If you are after diffrent choices for the woodgrained patterns as Bob says than please refer to the followinpost. It tells you how to add your own choices.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=803

porkysbbq
01-09-2007, 04:07 PM
when I say textures I mean -in the Tools pull down menu, Tools toolbar or from the context menu. A dialog window will open showing the Textures that are available. Click on the desired texture and a three-dimensional view of the texture will appear in the viewing area next to the list. The three-dimensional view may be rotated and zoomed with the same mouse controls used for manipulating a board (see Using the Mouse). Below the preview window is an input box to change the interval or spacing of the texture. Select the desired Texture, set the interval and click Ok. Once created a texture acts the same way as a pattern and can be merged.(See Patterns) Adding different textures together can create very unique and usual effect. (See Layout)

Jeff_Birt
01-09-2007, 09:42 PM
There is no way currently yo create your own textures or surfaces.

porkysbbq
01-10-2007, 01:46 PM
This software leaves a lot to be desired can only hope carvewright can fix some of the things in the software and not make us what months for the fixes

Like the problem I have when I try to Import an image from a pdf file the front and back of a bird house that are the same but with different cut outs I use the pattern trace tool and cut path tool but can not get the front and back the same size because the dimensions are locked and you can not change one without the other changing and doing it with the mouse is gone to make me nuts I wonder how long it will take them to fix that one little thing that should have never been set up that way in the first place!!!! :x

by the way the pdf is from a downloadable plan so there is a front, back side bottom and roof
somebody here uploaded textures that look like shingle and stone etc.
I tried applying to the pieces but it wound carve a square region and then cut the front out of that which takes a lot longer to carve and is a wast of time and machine ware that is when I noticed that the texture selector (previous post) just applies it to the cut out, This machine has so much potential, don't get me wrong I know you guys at carvewright have your hands full but please try to get some updates out
Well that's enough ranting for to day :oops:

Jeff_Birt
01-10-2007, 07:03 PM
porysbbq, I'm not sure I follow your description, but it sounds like you are importing one image that has two diffrent patterns; the front of a bird house and the back of the bird house. These two patterns are of a diffrent scale. You then use the outline tool to get a path for the cut out tool.

(When I have used the outline tool it traces around each continious line in the image leaving one new vector path in designer for each continious line in the image.)

Are you then trying to resize one of these patterns (i.e. all its little pieces)?

If you are trying to import on image that has two patterns you can import it twice, croping out alternating patterns. This would allow you to resize them to match before using the outline tool. Alternitivly you could import the image into PaintShop Pro, Corel Draw, or Gimp and correct teh scaleing issue and save the two patterns seperatly.

porkysbbq
01-10-2007, 07:26 PM
The pattern for the front and back are from the same plan and both should be the same scale

Jeff_Birt
01-10-2007, 07:40 PM
OK, they should be the same size. Are they drawn the same size on the plan?

porkysbbq
01-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Yes They are the same size Jef

Jeff_Birt
01-10-2007, 10:31 PM
OK, than I'm really confused. If they are the same size whay are you trying to resize them in Designer?

porkysbbq
01-10-2007, 11:00 PM
When I import them as a pattern they are to small and not the same size as the plan or the same size of each other

the way it works is print them out cut them out glue to wood and cut out on scroll saw