PDA

View Full Version : Problems are never ending...

Schluppy
03-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Hello all
I had posted a couple weeks back on a problem of my Carvewright Stopping in the middle of a carve. Carving bit coming to a dead stop still on the piece of wood and the screen looking like I had just turned it on. Well I had ordered the updated power supply and the FFC cable and installed it last night. Tried a test run and the first two times it went through everything with measuring the board and all but when it came time to start the carve the bit powered up but immediately shut down. The screen went back to looking like I just turned it on. Tried a third time and now all I see on the screen is a line of black bars. I reformatted and re-flashed the memory card, tried alternate outlets and nothing seems to help. The machine is about two years old with only 200 hrs of carve time. Any ideas? Getting frustrated here!
Thanks for any ideas

Digitalwoodshop
03-10-2011, 12:29 PM
The black Bars are a result of no card in the machine.

You could have a bad card or Bad New Power Supply..... Call LHR... Have them send you another....

AL

Schluppy
03-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi Al
Well just now when I got home I reinstalled the older power supply and same thing. So it could possibly be the card but seems very peculiar that it would happen now. The card reader reads it fine. I'll call LHR now
Thanks

Schluppy
03-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Well just off the phone with LHR and he is thinking its either the memory card or the controller. $300.00 for the controller and $55.00 for the card. Lovely.....

jaustin
03-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Order the card from amazon. Maybe look on ebay for a controller

Ike
03-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Any help it happen to me the other day I messed with the contrast and thought oh great! Then I opened the bottom to make sure the cables were connected. All were fine, then I blew out the card and where it is inserted and it is fine!

Ike

atauer
03-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Order the card from amazon. Maybe look on ebay for a controller

An Ebay controller wouldn't work. Each controller is calibrated for the machine its placed on at the factory. Putting a controller from a different machine in yours could possibly cause more issues, as you have no idea of the history of the controller. Not to mention the fact that it was calibrated for some other machine.

The new controller from us would come calibrated with the same specs that the machine he has came from the factory, as long as he provided the correct serial number when the controller is purchased from us. Using a different controller would also cause a nightmare for the support techs. If he ever called in for support and was using an improperly calibrated controller, the serial number displayed by the controller wouldn't match what is on the account, techs would get confused, etc., etc., etc. The whole diagnosis process would become a madhouse.

henry1
03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
An Ebay controller wouldn't work. Each controller is calibrated for the machine its placed on at the factory. Putting a controller from a different machine in yours could possibly cause more issues, as you have no idea of the history of the controller. Not to mention the fact that it was calibrated for some other machine.

The new controller from us would come calibrated with the same specs that the machine he has came from the factory, as long as he provided the correct serial number when the controller is purchased from us. Using a different controller would also cause a nightmare for the support techs. If he ever called in for support and was using an improperly calibrated controller, the serial number displayed by the controller wouldn't match what is on the account, techs would get confused, etc., etc., etc. The whole diagnosis process would become a madhouse.

What if you have another controller and put it in would it not work ??

Ike
03-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Hello all
I had posted a couple weeks back on a problem of my Carvewright Stopping in the middle of a carve. Carving bit coming to a dead stop still on the piece of wood and the screen looking like I had just turned it on. Well I had ordered the updated power supply and the FFC cable and installed it last night. Tried a test run and the first two times it went through everything with measuring the board and all but when it came time to start the carve the bit powered up but immediately shut down. The screen went back to looking like I just turned it on. Tried a third time and now all I see on the screen is a line of black bars. I reformatted and re-flashed the memory card, tried alternate outlets and nothing seems to help. The machine is about two years old with only 200 hrs of carve time. Any ideas? Getting frustrated here!
Thanks for any ideas

I read this again I had this problem too with just showing the one project and nothing else. This happened because I removed the keypad side panel and it slipped from my hand and I tore the FFC cable for the controller to the keypad. I stole the FFC from my other machine and replaced it and all was well.

Like I said it then would not read any cards and it took a blast of air for the card and where the card inserts.

You may need to check to see if may have ripped the flat FFC cable from the controller to the keypad like I did. All it takes is one tear!

Ike

atauer
03-10-2011, 05:57 PM
It would work, but since the specs on it are going to be different than the one that is supposed to be in it, you will more than likely encounter issues with it, and it will more than likely not function as you are predicting it too.

You always want to steer clear of purchasing controllers from Ebay. Odds are, it will not function properly and will probably cause you more grief.

Schluppy
03-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi all
Alex. I believe it was possibly you I spoke with on the phone today about my issues. Told you I had to think about it. I decided to go ahead with the parts I called and asked the question that if it were the card and not the controller if I may return it. He said yes but there would be a 10% restocking fee. Attached to the invoice that was emailed to me was a PDF link for a rebate form. It listed the Controller Electronics Board Enclosure Assembly for $100.00. Is that all I'm expected to get back on my credit card? Or is this implying something else?

Thanks

P.S. I will try the air thing tomorrow after work to see if I can blow the dust out if the card and controller. Can't hurt anything now!

Ike
03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
If you have removed the keypad panel you might want to check the cable also. Or unplugged the cable from the controller. It is the shorter flat cable from the controller to the keypad, save yourself some time and don't mess with the longer flat ribbon! When I removed the panel it slipped and the wire caught it from falling. I didn't think anything about it until the first prompt came up and then I selected the project I wanted and it would go through the set up and stop and like you go to the Carvewright Screen.

It is up to you, but it may be just the wire and it is far less in cost then a new controller! Not to mention replacing the controller and finding out it was the wire!

Ike

Schluppy
03-11-2011, 05:08 AM
Thanks Ike for the input. Actually I had started out with replacing the power supply. On test one it would go through the project, keep under roller, cut to size, measure then select bit all fine. When it came time to carve it spindles up for a second then shut down. Tried a second time and same thing. Then a third using a different outlet and now I started getting the black bars across the top. After that I replaced the display FFC cable but that didn't help either. If it ends up being the card watch for a controller on eBay for sale. ;-)

Thanks again
Tim

Ike
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I was hoping it was the cable they are a pain to get through the small slot and they rip by looking at them wrong! I took off my keypad panel to clean and it slipped and I thought nothing about it I half way caught it with my leg. Then I started a project and went to the first project and it went through the set up to loading the bit and I hit enter and it went to the Carvewright first prompt.

I opened it up and discover at the connection one wire was broke and then the other day the whole thing went blank and I opened the bottom and checked the wire and the card frame. All was fine and I blew out the card and where it inserts and it is okay for now!

I have one with borrowed parts to keep my new Rev C going! I am about ready to sell both!

Ike

DurhamDev
03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
I have one with borrowed parts to keep my new Rev C going! I am about ready to sell both!

Call me when you're at your angriest, so I get them at the best deal possible!

<wink>

Ike
03-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Lol I will keep in mind I still owe on the Rev C! At $40.00 a month I should have it paid off in 3 short years!

Schluppy
03-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Morning All
Just received shipping confirmation via email stating the controller and memory card will be here sometime on Wednesday. I will post after installation to let you guys know if the problem is resolved. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
Tim

Schluppy
03-17-2011, 08:44 PM
*Update*
Well after receiving and installing the new controller I did an hour long test carve that completed successfully. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't the controller right from the beginning. Well with a new power supply and controller what else could go wrong? Don't answer that.
Thanks again for everyones help
Tim

Digitalwoodshop
03-17-2011, 08:57 PM
How much is the Core Charge on the computer?

I might be interested..... Core Charge plus $6.00 shipping.

I have been wanting to inspect one....

AL

Schluppy
03-18-2011, 06:08 AM
$40.00 for the power supply and $100.00 for the contoller.