PDA

View Full Version : Stepped Pattern

bjwisdom
03-08-2011, 01:03 PM
I apologize as I am sure this issue came up before but I cannot find it. I am carving a simple rectangle. However, about halfway through the carving shifts down about a quarter inch, then about another 3rd later it shifts down again. Board is 5 3/4 wide and 29 long. Carving is 4 high and 20 inches long. Board is flat and true 3/4 thick. I am keeping under rollers, brass tracking and o-ring is clean. sandpaper is clean and has not been recently removed. Head pressure is fine. Rollers are not stuck. This worked fine prior to 1.178 update. Any ideas?

Thanks

lilskip
03-08-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm not a master of this machine yet. and I am sure one of the more Senior members will chime in, but have you mad sure that the Sensor on the bottom of the spindle is clean. That just sounds like something that might cause it.

bjwisdom
03-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks and yes. I just had to buy a new sensor and I am getting a very good reading (127)

Ike
03-08-2011, 01:47 PM
BJ I will give it a whirl, you said the O ring is clean, but what shape is it in? Another thing when was the last time you lubed the roller table gears? The gears under the plastic cover opposite of the key pad. During setup on the X movement was smooth or jerky?

Then the other question what is the material you are using really smooth material may need masking tape to make contact with the brass roller. Then lastly how close is the sliding guide plate against the board? Too close could cause a slight stop and the $10,000 question how cold is your shop!

Have you tried turning the machine off and by hand checking to see if the Z truck will smoothly move left to right. Plus check to see the Z truck is moving up and down smoothly. I am not sure but sounds like it may be related to the Z truck

Ike

bjwisdom
03-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys. It must have been a fluke! I carved another one and it turned out fine.

Ike
03-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks guys. It must have been a fluke! I carved another one and it turned out fine.
Lol good to hear!!

Ike

cnsranch
03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
You're on it, Ike - the board had to be slipping....

Digitalwoodshop
03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
M a s k i n g tape....

Al

Ike
03-08-2011, 09:28 PM
You're on it, Ike - the board had to be slipping....

Thanks Jerry that was my first thought too, then the second the Z truck. Yes Chief I suggested masking tape!!

Hey Jerry Meow!

Ike