PDA

View Full Version : using 1/8 caving bit?

mwhatch
03-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Howdy,

You don't always need the detail of a 1/16 carving bit, so if you select the 1/8 bit, will the machine carve the project twice as fast like other conventional cnc's.

Thanks

AskBud
03-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Howdy,

You don't always need the detail of a 1/16 carving bit, so if you select the 1/8 bit, will the machine carve the project twice as fast like other conventional cnc's.

Thanks
I'm sorry, but I'm confused!
Here are my thoughts:
When you select a pattern, from the library, the default bit is the 1/16" Carving Bit. The bit selection Icon is not active, therefore, you may not opt out. The X-axis feed is controlled by this default.

If you are doing vector cuts, the selected bit and depth will control the speed.
AskBud

SteveEJ
03-05-2011, 07:51 AM
The CarveWright does not carve relief carvings like a conventional CNC. The CW uses the carve bit, like Bud said, unlike the conventional CNC that will rough cut then have a finish path that is normally a round nose bit. The CW is a single pass for carving but the conventional CNC is a multi pass.

brdad
03-05-2011, 08:30 AM
There used to be an 1/8" carving bit, and there used to be an option to select it in the software, I guess they have deprecated that feature (but no mention of the change in the release notes?). I still have my 1/8" carving bit, used it once - by mistake.

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26654&d=1234191770

Kenm810
03-05-2011, 08:39 AM
The CW carves at a default speeds, if it calls for the 1/16" carving bit -- but you load a 1/8" cutting bit or larger
you run the risk of breaking the bit, damaging the machine, and ruining the project.

mwhatch
03-05-2011, 09:35 AM
When you load the project into the machine and it asks which bit, you have the option of selectin the 1/8th carving bit instead of the 1/16. With this option I would think the machine would compensate for it.

Thanks

SteveEJ
03-05-2011, 11:09 AM
What version of Designer are you using? I have not seen this option..

mwhatch
03-05-2011, 11:36 AM
the latest version. It is not in Designer, but on the machine, when it goes through the mesuring and setup, it prompts for carving bit. That is where you see the option to change to 1/8.

mtylerfl
03-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Hello,

There has been no change whatsoever with the Carving (Pattern) Bit selection options (which should be chosen in the Designer software NOT at the machine!).

Please see the screenshot of the menu item below. You access this menu by going to Edit/Board Settings/Pattern Bit. It is set by default to the 1/16" Tapered Ballnose and should normally be left that way - unless you really know for sure what you're doing.

mtylerfl
03-05-2011, 01:32 PM
the latest version. It is not in Designer, but on the machine, when it goes through the mesuring and setup, it prompts for carving bit. That is where you see the option to change to 1/8.

Hi Morton!

How are you coming along with your CarveWright projects on your new machine? Hope everything is still going peachy keen!

brdad
03-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Please see the screenshot of the menu item below. You access this menu by going to Edit/Board Settings/Pattern Bit. It is set by default to the 1/16" Tapered Ballnose and should normally be left that way - unless you really know for sure what you're doing.

Ah, that's where it is! I'm not crazy after all. Well, at least not for that reason...

mwhatch
03-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi Michael,

Everything is going fine. Thanks for asking. I have cut several test pieces.
I even came up with a quilt rack idea that my wife liked. I am getting set to add a dust collector.

SteveEJ
03-05-2011, 03:04 PM
So using other than the 1/16" ballnose does not change the number of passes, etc. It just causes probably undesirable results unless these results are intended. Still single pass and not like a conventional cnc. Got it..

mtylerfl
03-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi Michael,

Everything is going fine. Thanks for asking. I have cut several test pieces.
I even came up with a quilt rack idea that my wife liked. I am getting set to add a dust collector.

Very good! Wow, you are making fast progress! Can't wait to see a pic or two of your quilt rack in the Gallery section when you get around to it.

Brazil
03-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I snapped my cut out bit. It seemed to me that the machine was just pushing the bit throught the wood too fast. I was carving oak, (a hardwood, but not terribly hard).

Is there some setting or way to tell the machine to carve slower, or to tell the machine it's carving a harder material so it will slow down it's scrolling speed?