PDA

View Full Version : How much do I need: Harbor Freight

mwhatch
03-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I am looking at Harbor Freight Dust collectors. I will use if for my CW and maybe on more tool. These are what I am looking at.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-mini-dust-collector-94029.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

I can get the 2hp for $169.99. Do I need that much, or will one of the smaller ones work.
I have never used a dust collector so this is new to me.

Thanks

Old Salt
03-04-2011, 06:19 PM
You wont regret gitting the big one, you can hook to more than tool and still work ok.
The switch is weak but you can take apart and clean ,gets full of dust. have had one for many years. Dont use as vac for floor fan will not like nails and screws.

jaustin
03-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Search online for a 20% off coupon

I have te 2hp and have drops ran thru the shop and works fine.

Digitalwoodshop
03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
I have used both. I have a above dust collector and draw 75% of my suction from the top and 25% from the bottom slot.

If you use a efficient above collector like a few sell here then the smaller one would work. The Advantage is that you can at some time buy from Penn State Ind. the Highly Efficient pleated filter for the 2 HP like I did.... BIG Difference and the micron size is smaller.... I suffered a few years using a bag that let out the most dangerous fine stuff for me to breeth.... Then I switched...

I even tried a plastic Dryer Vent for a Dust Collector in 2007 as seen by the date on the picture.... Went with the copper circuit board version.

Good Luck,

AL

When it re sized the dryer vent it put today's date on it...

Digitalwoodshop
03-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Here is the Pleated Option you can get later.... It comes in 2 lengths, I took the longest.

AL

DickB
03-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Any of them will work for what you have described. Get the biggest that fits your budget and space.

jaroot
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I have the little green portable one and it works fine on the carvewright. It does need to be emptied and shook out on a regular basis. Tried it on my thickness planner, not so good. Since everything is basically sucked directly through the fan there is a grate on the inlet side that plugged with the larger shavings almost instantly.

DickB
03-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I have the little green portable one and it works fine on the carvewright. It does need to be emptied and shook out on a regular basis. Tried it on my thickness planner, not so good. Since everything is basically sucked directly through the fan there is a grate on the inlet side that plugged with the larger shavings almost instantly.
A dust separator will extend the time to bag emptying and make your collector useful with your planer. Rockler sells a couple of complete units and also kits to make your own. I have something like this and it works very well.

Capt Bruce
03-06-2011, 02:42 PM
A cyclone type separator in line leading to your dust collector is well worth it because it prevents large chips hitting the inline fan of your collector, and it cuts down on the total trash filling up your collector bag. That keeps more air moving through the system. I use one of the trash can lid type.

mwhatch
03-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for you valued advice. I went to Harbor Frieght with the intent of buying the 2HP model since I had a coupon, then I saw how big that thing was. No way I had room in the garage for it. So I got the bigger of the 2 smaller 1 HP models. I just finished cutting Fletcher's "Hood Scoop", and I do like the idea of using an inline cyclone seperator.

Thanks and happy carving to everyone.

mwhatch
03-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi all.

I am almost there.
One more question. Do I need to ground the dust collector? if so, what is the best way.

Thanks again

DickB
03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes, you should ground your system. As far as "best way", you're going to get lots of varying opinions and suggestions on this. I think a book could be written on it. My dust collector itself is grounded by a three-prong plug. It also has a metal tab at the inlet to which the intake hose can be grounded. I bared the end of the hose's support wire and connected it to the tab. I also ran an 18 gauge wire from the tab to the Carvewright, using one of the screws that holds the top cover to the head. Note that the Carvewright itself does not have a three-prong plug, so this setup will not create a ground loop. This setup has been effective for me.

mwhatch
03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I got a 1 hp portable dust collector from Harbor Frieght and cut Fletcher's "hood scoop" dc. WOW, what a difference it makes. I cut it out of pine, but I think I will cut another one from red oak and add another ring.
If there is anyone who is undecided about adding a dust collector, DO IT. You will not regret it. It does not cost that much.

Thanks to Fletcher for sharing a great design.