PDA

View Full Version : Contoured Edge Carving

SpiffyDog
01-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Sorry if this has been covered, but I've looked and cannot find the answer.

Can anyone tell me how to do contoured edge carvings such as in the picture provided from CW? It looks like it has a domed surface, too.

Jeff_Birt
01-08-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm guess a surface was applied to the edges to get the bevel. I'll have to try it and see what happens.

bassnaholic
01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Im new at this. I also was trying to find a way to do profile. I uploaded a file to and will try and attach it here.
What I have done is create 4 trapezoids on a rectangle. I had them separated and after I got them all configured I joined them together as one. You will have to adjust the profile for each side. You should be able to open the file and see what Ive done. As for the rest of the top. The demo that is on the website shows how to paste the designs so you will not lose the depth of your profiles.
Hope this helps . If you come up with more please post it so I may see what you have done too.
Thanks!!!

Brett

Jeff_Birt
01-08-2007, 07:28 PM
That is really wierd! It automatically puts a radius on the edges when drawn in that manner? Does not do it on a single trapizopal shape only when joined as you say, very neat.

SpiffyDog
01-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Great technique, Brett! :D
I've made some additions and now we're real close. Still attempting to apply a pattern to the edge.

bassnaholic
01-08-2007, 09:42 PM
From what Ive read and saw in the demo the pattern will have to be placed first then the profile goes on. They have to be grouped somehow. The grouping will be the key part. Ive tried some but with patterns in the corners its a challenge to figure out the grouping order. Looks like it could be alot of copy and pasting to get the right order. The demo did say that in order to get the patterns to sit on the profile right that they must be oriented to the profile which makes sense.

This is going to have to wait till tomorrow. Bowl game is on and Im missing a great game.

Jeff_Birt
01-09-2007, 08:21 AM
I thought I posted this last night, but it was late and I was sleepy. Anyhow, I grouped things and set the groups to additive merging. It looks like the patterns are following the cuve of the surface now.

BobHill
01-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Nicely done, Jeff.

Bob

SpiffyDog
01-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Kudos, Jeff! Thank you!

stever11
01-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Sorry to revisit this issue, however I just got my machine in today, and really have not had time to mess with the demo software that I downloaded 28 days ago. I have spent the better part of 3 hours trying to duplicate this beveled edge. I have created the trapazoid on all four sides. I dont know where to find the bevel option, as well as the join option. I have messed with surfaces with no luck. Also about this demo that I have seen refrenced, where can I find this?

SpiffyDog
01-16-2007, 07:55 AM
There isn't a bevel option. You need to apply a domed surface to it. First, select the trapazoid. Next, click on "Tools", "Select Surface...", then select a dome to apply. Click "OK".

Once this has been done, you'll need to adjust the "Depth" and "Height" to your needs.

After adding patterns to the surface, you'll need to group them and then add an additive merge style to them. This will cause the patterns to conform to the curve.

stever11
01-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the info!! I had to play a bit before I got it down. Is there not an easier way to lay the trapazoid on the work piece? (I had to zoom all the way in and get it just right, then still had to adjust the edge) That is what took the most amount of time on the work piece. Just a hint to anyone reading this, if you want your project width to be 12" (w), with a beveled edge, be sure you have a board that is 13". You need to add a total of 1" to the width for auto jig.The software will allow you to manually jig, but just being a hobbiest I don't think that I will try that right now.
Again thanks Spiffy Dog for your help. I would imagine that as projects roll on I will be leaning on some of the "regulars" I see post, for help.

SpiffyDog
01-17-2007, 02:25 AM
The easiest way to create a proportionate trapizoid is to turn the "Snap" feature on. Go to "Layout" then click "Snap...". Set the grid size (default is 0.500). Set the appropriate snap and grid options.

-Keep On Carvin' On!