PDA

View Full Version : CW and I

liquidguitars
02-25-2011, 07:02 PM
For a over a few years i have helped promote the Carvewright on this forum taking my own free time answering questions after question on subjects regarding hardware and software including the correct way to run sleds for multiple part making like guitars necks and body's. Helping has been rewarding but I not sure if it's helped my company much for us, in fact it could be harming me.

What you do not know is I post on guitar making forums to help get the CW noticed as a ideal tool for small guitar builders keeping the arts in the US and not in China.

I been accused over the phone as tricking people as it's "just imposable to make a Les Paul like you do", and I been called a fake, just today one of the guitar builders accused me of trickery in a video on youtube that's over two years old showing the carvewright scribing/cutting frets. This is not the case, I think I am running a little thin today because of this, imagine being called a fake when all i trying to do is help out fellow Luther's.

Would it be different if I owned a Shoptbot or a Shark? It's seems to me that the status of a big name product will always be better in the minds of the people that own it, just look at Aspire this software is not very good but if you have a Shopbot you have to run it if you want to be in the club. I will be in the club of making guitars not owning expensive software that lacks performance.

If you own a CW you made a good choice and later you can upgrade to a bigger machine if you need better HP and more table room but likely you will still own a CW or two humming in the background.

Deolman
02-25-2011, 07:11 PM
LG, those of us who have the CarveWright are believers. We have seen firsthand the magic it can do. Some of those people who haven't seen the magic will be un-believers. Tell the nay-sayers you will bet a Les Paul to their (put amount here) and then invite them to come watch. I'd be willing to bet you won't have a taker one. Please don't let the negative few get to you. The ones here on this forum are appreciative of all that you do.

gregsolano
02-25-2011, 07:16 PM
I bought my CW less than a month ago and I have learned a lot by reading yours and others posts. I am far from musically inclined but I have really enjoyed your videos and posts, and marveled at your instruments. I used to be in the public arena and often was subjected to negative comments. You have to blow them off. There are always negative people out there who will try and bring you down. Just realize they are out there and let them be. I want to thank you for all your help especially for us newbies who are trying to get into all this. Not to long ago my only experience with woodworking was watching norm abrams every sunday and wishing I had the time, tools and talent. Little by little I am getting the tools, and I am making the time, still working on the talent. I hope someday I can do work half as good as yours!

fwharris
02-25-2011, 07:34 PM
LG,

Do not let the ney sayers get to far under your skin. They probably still would not believe it even if they were standing there watching one being carved.

dbfletcher
02-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Im still trying to figure out how you get them to come out all stained, laquered, and strung! j/k. But there is a big difference in what a true artist such as yourself can do with this machine than many of the rest of us. It gives us all something to strive for however. I know I'll never be able to do what you can do, but every little advancement I make is becuase I have seen all the wonderful work of the so many of the talented members who activily participate in this forum.

mtylerfl
02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Hi LG,

Your fine workmanship speaks for itself as well as for the capabilities of the CarveWright machine. I believe that there is still some lingering underestimation by certain people "out there" of what can be done with the CarveWright, but I do see that changing for the better.

I've gotten calls from folks who own other (more expensive) machines that are extremely impressed by the CarveWright projects they see posted at the CW main website as well as here on the forum. Many have mentioned they wish they had the benefits that we do (projects, patterns, community support) as CarveWright owners. So, the word IS getting out that the CarveWright is the REAL DEAL.

I don't know what to tell you about the individuals who may have made accusations of the type you described. I guess all we can do is wish them the best in their beliefs and let them go. Someday they will realize their mistake.

In the meantime, I hope you know how much you are appreciated and respected not only as a fine craftsman, but more importantly as a fine person. You've helped inspire all of us and LHR too!

liquidguitars
02-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys,

I remember someone told me not long ago "well if i did make the instruments on the CW i sure would not tell anyone" I had to step back a few and ponder that statement as It did effect me a little, I imagine LHR must get this stuff all the time.

In the meantime, I hope you know how much you are appreciated and respected not only as a fine craftsman, but more importantly as a fine person. You've helped inspire all of us and LHR too!

Thanks Michael!

FiddlemakerMills
02-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Brandon, I agree with Michael. I have also had to put up with people that think, "Since you use a machine your product is less valuable."

I have made this choice, and have answered them. Buy one of these machines and learn to use it. Then you can tell me what is not possiable to do with it.

Remember that you have a choice to speak with them or not, if you deem them unworthy, do not talk to them. Soon they will be asking you to return with your skill and advise.

Carl

eelamb
02-25-2011, 09:44 PM
LG I agree with everyone else, you are making something so beautiful with the CW. Let the skeptics be, for their words are their ignorance on the usage of the CW. Your talents show in your workmanship, not only in the making of your instruments, but in the extraordinary usage of the CW to do your work.
I like your sled design and concept, and have learned from your experience in the post here.
Keep up the good work and thanks for your help on the forum!

Fletcher
02-25-2011, 11:39 PM
People kill me. They always speak..... and THEN think.

Looking at your website LG, it becomes very obvious, very quickly, that "this dude really knows his way around the 3D modeling world and has now translated that knowledge over to another passion" - very cool. Doesn't lesson the fact that your 3D skills are what they are, because you now want to use them for another task.

When will people get the fact that CAD, and CNC equipment of any type is just another tool? Could you imagine where we would be today if the metal working industries took that attitude? "Oh.... That stamping die will cost 150% more because we don't believe that using computer controlled machinery to do precision work is REAL craftsmanship" - PAHAhahahaha!!! Yeah right! Not only that, products like the Macbook - which has a fully cnc machined chassis and case - would be passed over because they were "fake"???? Get real!

You should ask a "real" luthier to make your gorgeous violin by hand from scratch and get the spiraled surfaces that precise and uniform - oh, and by the way, make 4 of 'em, all identical while your at it. See how real he sees your skills as then.... He would probably say something like "I don't make 4 of anything, I am a craftsman!", and then whine about his car getting repo'd. Better yet, offer him access to all of your digital "tools" and ask him to show you the "make violin" button.

Evolution, not Devolution, time goes forward, not backward. Tools, and talent, get better, not worse.

Holy rant!:rolleyes:

dcalvin4
02-26-2011, 12:13 AM
LG
we just saw the movie secretariat ,,,,people in the race horse buisness still cannot believe to this day that a horse could win the tripple crown by such a big margin..he won by 31 lengths thats 31 lengths......the people that watched the actual race still couldnt believe what they saw...the people saw it on the news couldnt believe it...not even the bookies ............... if you had people [sceptics]come to your shop and watched you build a guitar or violyn from start to the finish line they would shake their heads and say thats just impossible nobody can do that...but deep down inside they knew what they saw was possible to do cause they just saw it being done but inside them they are just so jeoulse and frustrated cause they cannt do what you do even with all their money and means to buy their big boy toys that they are sick to their stomac with envy,,thats all thats about
my mother once told me "Dennis dont get bitter get better"
so brandon just smile to yourself and know what you do and what your are all about is for real and know that we all appreciate you and we know you are not about a bunch of horse sht
denny

SteveEJ
02-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Brandon. The simple fact is that you are a Craftsman and a True Artist! This means simply that you use what YOU BELIEVE is the best tool(s), glue(s), finish material(s) and other materials to produce a product based on as much experience as you can gather. The final result is the truth teller and your final results are out of this world!

Them not understanding your process is their shortfall not yours. Them not conceding the success you are having is their fault. How do they handle it? With thoughts and words that try to degrade what you do to cover what they cannot do.

Wear it as a badge of honor!

Cheers!

PCW
02-26-2011, 08:19 AM
I thought most all Luther's used a CNC nowadays. Maybe they were not questioning you as much as the CW. Anyways don’t let it bother you because your work speaks for itself.

Capt Bruce
02-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi Brandon,

All your admirers and friends have said what is important about all you share with us here in the Forum as inspiration, freely shared techniques and encouragement from someone we greatly admire. I'll offer just a little saying that was shared with me.

There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the Drama and people who create it ..

You surround yourself with people who make you Laugh, forget the Bad, and focus on the Good ..

So Love the people who treat you Right, pray for the ones who don't ..

Life is too short to be anything but Happy ..

Falling down is part of Life, getting back up each time is Living .

Digitalwoodshop
02-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Yes, I am among the MANY Admirers of your fantastic work... Too bad you could not get a writer from a wood working magazine do a story of you making a Instrument from start to finish with the CW.... Watch and document every step..... That would send the "Grassy Knoll" Nay Sayers a packing..... Grassy Knoll as in the Magic JFK Bullet.....

AL

Kenm810
02-26-2011, 03:56 PM
LG,

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, ya just have to put it behind you.
From time to time we will all run into a few folks with their Mouths in 3rd
while their Brains are in Neutral, --- just walk on by, you’re an Artist at what you do,
and no one can ever take that away from you.

Old Salt
02-26-2011, 04:18 PM
If someone tells me "Jack said this our that about you " I just say Jack who I don't think I ever heard of him before must be a wontab.

Gary Koval
02-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Lg, Michael, KenM810, just to name a few of the artists here,

You guys are the ones who are the exception to the rule-" If it's to good to be true, then it probably is...". Lg don't you dare stop showing your creations, they are absolutely gorgeous. We, on the forum know the power of the CW, let the rest of em' figure it out. Man I love this thing.

See my signature below!

dougmsbbs
02-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Okay, I guess I'll jump in here and give my two cents worth. LG, what you do is FANTASTIC! I sit here and pluck away and pretend I can play, and I look at everything you do and just WISH I could have one. It would be totally wasted in my hands! Every time you post photos I go back and try to improve my own work. With you, we see what is possible. I don't care what anyone else says, and you shouldn't either. Your way out ahead of most of us, and I'll be content to just follow behind and dream a little bit...