PDA

View Full Version : Machine is Multitasking--Double trouble!

ChrisR
02-25-2011, 06:36 PM
I just got done replacing the power supply for my machine. Many thanks to the gang on this list for helping find the problem, but barely half an hour of cut time later...

X Axis Stall. Usually manageable by replacing the masking tape, vacuum most of the dust and blow out the rest, but not this time. Plus...

The error only appears on the screen for a few seconds and then the power goes out completely. I have gotten the power to come back on by bumping my fist on top of one of the corners a couple of times. Then I can start over. The machine goes all the way through measurement and calibration, moves the bit into position for carving, and ZAP! X Axis Stall, power off again.

I'm gonna be looking really hard for electrical connection issues, but:

Has anyone seen combination issues like this one before? It is strange and upsetting. I may haul the machine to LHR and ask them to see if they can make it run for 20 hours of cut time. I usually break down in less than 5 and have never made it more than 18 before a major problem requiring replacement parts and days of down time. This time I didn't even get ONE hour. I like this thing and want it to work, but good grief . . .

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

fwharris
02-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Chris,

Sounds like either a bad/loose connection or a bad power supply. If you just got the power supply it should still be under warranty.

liquidguitars
02-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Also, with the power off and unplugged, check the on/off switch "lower right corner" could need tightening. You will need to remove the base plate to get at it..

ChrisR
02-26-2011, 11:18 PM
I was able to do more investigating today. Power at the wall outlet was 121 vac and measured the same at the switch. Testing with the ohm meter indicated that the switch was working fine. Then I disconnected the 4-wire power supply to the "brain." With the unit plugged in and the power switch on, my meter showed zero volts available to the red and yellow wires. It is my understanding that there should be 12 volts dc between yellow and ground (black) and 5 volts dc between red and ground.

To me this indicates that my new power supply is bad. Two questions:

1. Is there anything else I should check that could make the output zero at these points?

2. Is there anything else I should look for in my machine that could be causing the power supply to fail? Does the X Axis Stall provide any clues that I should investigate?

I have sent a note to LHR about my measurements on the power supply and requested instructions for replacing or further testing. I anticipate I will hear back on Monday and will share any words of wisdom that I receive. I hope they have a good weekend. Mine is quieter than it was supposed to be--I'd rather be carving. Hmmm--if I can get the machine to work again, maybe I'll make a project with that slogan! <grin>

Digitalwoodshop
02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
I think you just got a bad power supply...

AL