PDA

View Full Version : Question on reverse cutting outlines in two pieces of wood

mostlycold
02-24-2011, 05:20 PM
I was curious if anyone has had any experience on cutting a pattern out of one piece of wood and then cutting the impression of the pattern out of a contrasting piece of wood (then gluing them together). Sort of thick intarsia (1/4 inch on a backer board that allows the CW to cut). Don't know if this can be done in a practical sense. Example: the outline of a flower from one piece (the flower) fitted into the outline of the flower (the hole) in another piece, so when you glue them back together it looks like a single piece of wood again.

Thanx,
Dan

dougmsbbs
02-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I tried it. Didn't turn out too bad, but could have been better. I prefer just doing it on my scroll saw where I can cut it at a angle. Makes sure the kerf's match and makes the seam invisible. I can also cut the angles so the inset piece stands a bit proud of the background.

dbfletcher
02-24-2011, 05:35 PM
It can be done, but it really is going to depend on your shape. The bit geometry (1/8 or 1/16) comes in to play depending on which side of the line you are cutting. Also on the outside of the line, you will get rounded corners with a radius of the bit you are using. For most shapes it wont be a super clean fit.

Digitalwoodshop
02-24-2011, 11:47 PM
You could make 2 Identical Carvings and then cut it with a Scroll Saw and swap parts.... Different wood....

AL

Ike
02-25-2011, 12:08 AM
I was curious if anyone has had any experience on cutting a pattern out of one piece of wood and then cutting the impression of the pattern out of a contrasting piece of wood (then gluing them together). Sort of thick intarsia (1/4 inch on a backer board that allows the CW to cut). Don't know if this can be done in a practical sense. Example: the outline of a flower from one piece (the flower) fitted into the outline of the flower (the hole) in another piece, so when you glue them back together it looks like a single piece of wood again.

Thanx,
Dan

Dan like this? The rose is raised. The MPC is an example on how I do it and for me it works!

Ike

PS I did hand work away the outside with my die grinder and router