PDA

View Full Version : Hunter's Cabin Birdhouse - Project of the Month March 2011

mtylerfl
02-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for MARCH 2011), called the Hunter's Cabin Birdhouse. Spring is just around the corner, and here is a ‘just-in-time’ project for your backyard feathered friends nesting season! The Hunter’s Cabin Birdhouse features a log cabin style complete with a gently curved 'shingled' roof, plus a simple nail-hinged side panel for easy cleaning. The crooked wooden stovepipe chimney is an optional item you can create from scrap dowels to add an additional touch of charm to this rustic cabin birdhouse.

The project requires no special bits and uses just the two standard bits that came with your machine. The overall finished dimensions of the assembled Hunter’s Cabin Birdhouse project are about 7" wide x 9" tall x 10" long.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Cabin_Birdhouse_Panels.mpc
• Shingled_Roof.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Birdhouse Panels: 0.75" x 9.25" x 34.5"
Shingled Roof: 0.75" x 11" x 20"
Bottom: approx. 5.5" x 5.5" (not an MPC)

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) 1¼" 3d finish nails, one 1" #6 brass screw, scrap lengths of 1¼", 5/8", and 1/8" diameter wooden dowels, four popsicle sticks

4) Wood glue, sandpaper, wood putty, stain and/or paint and clear finish, table saw to cut roof miter joint, drill and bits, belt sander to form stovepipe cone

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my “Hunter's Cabin Birdhouse” project made from Select Pine:

• Minwax Express Color water-based Emerald (tube) on roof
• Minwax Vermont Maple water-based stain (can) on cabin
• Minwax Dark Walnut #2716 on “stovepipe”
• Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray

NOTE: Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice to the exterior only. Avoid applying any finishing materials on the inside. This is according to information I found regarding birdhouse building. Apparently, most finishes are toxic to birds. It might be alright to use a “food-safe” clear finish on the interior. However, I did not try that myself and I left the inside completely unfinished.

rcdages
02-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Michael,

Love the project and it is just in time for spring.

You were correct per our phone conversation I am surprised with it.

Could change the hole size for different type of birds.

Wonderful project. looking forward to carving it.

dougmsbbs
02-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Nice! Well done!

mtylerfl
02-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks, guys!

Yes, the hole size in the distributable MPC is set to 1½" diameter, but can be reduced/enlarged as desired. (I made mine a little larger at 1¾" dia. hoping to suit a type of dove in our area - we'll see if I guessed right...or see what bird it actually attracts!)

Smoken D
02-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Really great. Just in time because I could use some new bird houses!

CarverJerry
02-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Michael, is this a hanging bird house or made to mount on a pole with a plate? I like it, thanks

CJ

eelamb
02-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Michael great design and project.

mtylerfl
02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Michael, is this a hanging bird house or made to mount on a pole with a plate? I like it, thanks

CJ

Hi CJ,

I'm leaving it up to the individual to decide whether to hang it, attach it to a shelf or bracket on a tree trunk or mount it on a post. Really depends on the type of birds in the area and the environment. My wife wants me to mount mine on a tree near a back window so she can keep an eye on it in case some birds take residence! My plan was to mount it in a more 'heavily foliaged' tree in front of the garage, so it would be more secluded. But, of course, what mamma wants, mamma gets!

mtylerfl
02-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Really great. Just in time because I could use some new bird houses!

Michael great design and project.

Thanks - I've been wanting to make a birdhouse project "forever". I have a bunch of ideas for other styles too!

mtylerfl
02-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Just a quick FYI...I added a page to the POM instructions that offers a few guidelines for entrance hole sizing and other related birdhouse info!

b.sumner47
02-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Michael ,Looks like alot of fun. Good time of the year for,as well Thanks ,Capt Barry

mtylerfl
02-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Michael ,Looks like alot of fun. Good time of the year for,as well Thanks ,Capt Barry

Thank you, Capt. Barry!

mtylerfl
02-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Here's some photos of how I installed screweye bolts for hanging the birdhouse...

alljoy
03-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Looks beautiful, how long does it take to carve?

mtylerfl
03-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Looks beautiful, how long does it take to carve?

Thank you, alljoy.

There are two MPC's (project files). I used the "BEST" setting when uploading to the memory card. The Cabin_Birdhouse_Panels.mpc took about 4½ hrs. The Shingled_Roof.mpc took about 2¾ hrs.

dbfletcher
03-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Has this been sent out yet? I dont remember getting a notification yet.

dbfletcher
03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Just got it about 3 mins ago. I guess it is just being sent out today.

Oldtrainerguy
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Nice one. Cant wait to get started

Capt Bruce
03-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Looks like a fun project Michael. Thanks as always for a great looking project the birds are going to appreciate.

mwhatch
03-07-2011, 04:52 PM
OK, I subscribed to the "Project of the Month" and have downloaded the Hunters Cabin project, but when I try to open the mpc files I get a message stating that I need a licence to view this file. Help!

Thanks

mtylerfl
03-07-2011, 05:14 PM
OK, I subscribed to the "Project of the Month" and have downloaded the Hunters Cabin project, but when I try to open the mpc files I get a message stating that I need a licence to view this file. Help!

Thanks

Hi Morton,

In your Designer software Help menu, there is an item called "Manage Licenses". Click on that and login to your account to activate the license. If you run onto any trouble, there are detailed instructions on license activation in the software manual if you need it:
CarveWright Software Manual (http://www.carvewright.com/service/Manuals/CarveWright_Software_Manual.pdf) (PDF)

Please let us know how you make out!

mwhatch
03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
OK, I did all that. My account shows the Project of the month under suscriptions and the download link is there. I never did recieve an email width the download link. Does each project need to be activated. I still cannot open the files.

Thanks

fwharris
03-07-2011, 08:06 PM
OK, I did all that. My account shows the Project of the month under suscriptions and the download link is there. I never did recieve an email width the download link. Does each project need to be activated. I still cannot open the files.

Thanks

Morton,

Yes each project needs to be activiated when they send them out. From help menu.."Manage Licenses". Click on that and login to your account to activate the license
It should bring up a window with the "projet name" click the box beside it to activate it. It also will have you enter your password again to verify.

If you did not get the email you can also down load from you account login from the help menu. In you account loging section it will show your CW license and all pattern and project and subsritions you have bought...

mwhatch
03-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Finally got it. I had to hit "Update License", then the project showed up on my project list.
Thanks for everybody's help.

mtylerfl
03-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Great to hear you're good to go, Morton!

lawrence
03-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Well done-- these are the kinds of projects that display how the CW is "stretching its legs"--projects like these will create new Carvewright owners

Thanks for showing us your project--
Lawrence

mtylerfl
03-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Well done-- these are the kinds of projects that display how the CW is "stretching its legs"--projects like these will create new Carvewright owners

Thanks for showing us your project--
Lawrence

Thanks, Lawrence. Yes, I strive to "show off" what the machine is capable of and help folks stretch their ideas of what can be accomplished with these "miracle machines"!

mwhatch
03-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Just finished cutting the birdhouse project. I hope I can get it finished before the next project comes out.

reeniewhalen
02-21-2013, 11:34 AM
I just started this project. The front and back turned out fine, but when it came to the sides, the window detail was missing and the logs had a flat top. Everything on the mc was setup and checked, ie pressure rollers truck travel etc.
I looked at the project settings and noticed the depth settings were .300" for front and back but the sides were set at .275". Are they supposed to be .300 on all 4 sides?

reeniewhalen
02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Correction All sides .375"?

reeniewhalen
02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
60193This is whats happening. Front and back is fine yet the sides seem to be carving not as deep.

mtylerfl
02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Correction All sides .375"?

Hello,

No, the MPC should be run as-is - please don't change any depth settings. Sorry to hear you had a depth issue. Somehow the bit depth was off.

Edited after seeing your photo.

The project should come out 'exactly' like you viewed in the software...with windows and all. The z-depth changed during the project run.

1) What is your shop temperature?...warm...cold?
2) Did you get any errors shown on the LCD? If so, what did it say?

reeniewhalen
03-03-2013, 02:01 PM
The temperature is controlled at 69-70F all the time. As for errors, none. Just what was given in the instructions. Since having the problem i meticulously clean/lube the y/z drives and having done other projects they all turn out fine, just every now and then the infamous "refind" error with the correct bit inserted mind you, which can be mind numbing!

mtylerfl
03-03-2013, 02:19 PM
The temperature is controlled at 69-70F all the time. As for errors, none. Just what was given in the instructions. Since having the problem i meticulously clean/lube the y/z drives and having done other projects they all turn out fine, just every now and then the infamous "refind" error with the correct bit inserted mind you, which can be mind numbing!

Which chuck does your machine have?...the original QC..or..the new CarveTight?..or the Rock chuck?

reeniewhalen
03-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Well i just tried to do it again. Downloaded afresh from the website and it still leaves out the side window frames. No modifications to the file, none whatsoever. The chuck is the new carve-tight. And the lumber is exactly 3/4". The back and front windows turn out fine. So the Z-truck cant be having and problems. Its baffling.

reeniewhalen
03-17-2013, 11:37 AM
One thing i have noticed, if you hover the mouse over the front face windows the presumed depth readings from what i understand are,(Pattern Front/ Back) window frame .073", Window rectangles 0.107. (Pattern Side) window frame 0.00" and window rectangles 0.034". I assume these are the cutting depths?

mtylerfl
03-17-2013, 12:43 PM
One thing i have noticed, if you hover the mouse over the front face windows the presumed depth readings from what i understand are,(Pattern Front/ Back) window frame .073", Window rectangles 0.107. (Pattern Side) window frame 0.00" and window rectangles 0.034". I assume these are the cutting depths?

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. It is baffling indeed.

Would you please post a photo of the ENTIRE board? I want to take a look at that for some possible clues.

reeniewhalen
03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
I have taken a shot angled so you can see the anomaly. As you can see the slight depth increase starting the first of the side panels.
For curiosity, i downloaded the same file from CW website and have the same issue with the depth quoting .300 on my separate laptop pc61023

Update, at this time i deleted the front and back panels, re-sized the board for just the side panels and increased the panel depth to the same as the front and back which states 0.375" as to the 0.300 for the sides. Will update in an hour or so.

CNC Carver
03-18-2013, 10:38 AM
I think every other log is set to different depth. Are you staying under the rollers?

mtylerfl
03-18-2013, 10:42 AM
I have taken a shot angled so you can see the anomaly. As you can see the slight depth increase starting the first of the side panels.
For curiosity, i downloaded the same file from CW website and have the same issue with the depth quoting .300 on my separate laptop pc

Update, at this time i deleted the front and back panels, re-sized the board for just the side panels and increased the panel depth to the same as the front and back which states 0.375" as to the 0.300 for the sides. Will update in an hour or so.

Repeat, do NOT change the depths...they are correct (they are supposed to be different!) and allow the assembly to fit together properly.

I really wanted a photo of the entire board length. I'll tell you why...I am questioning whether you really put the stated length of board into the machine (i.e., trying to save wood). The photo would have told me that. The problem is that the z-depth is being thrown off somehow. My initial thoughts are...either a bit is slipping or the board is tipping due to an end leaving the captivity of the pressure rollers and messing up the z-depth.

mtylerfl
03-18-2013, 10:55 AM
I think every other log is set to different depth. Are you staying under the rollers?

Hi,

The front and back panel patterns are set for the overall depth @ 0.375"...the side panel patterns are set for the overall depth @ 0.300". This is exactly correct.

The preview in Designer shows accurately how the carve will look when completed. There is "something else" going on at th OP's end. We are still in the process of figuring out...machine issue...pilot error...??

Digitalwoodshop
03-18-2013, 01:46 PM
I had some thoughts on this problem of flat spots on the Logs......

All are Mechanical in nature and will require some investigating....

1. My first thought was that IF a in feed or out feed tray was adjusted too high then a board cranked down while resting on this high roller. Then the Project Height would be on the surface of the board and HIGH. So the project cuts and at some point the board drops off that high infeed roller, most likely the one to the right of the keypad. At that time the board is lower and the carving is shallower and hence the logs have flat spots on the TOP that is caused because the board is physically lower now.... So a In Feed and Out Feed Height Check is in order.

2. My second thought is the screw on the right side of the Keypad UNDER the machine that goes into the smooth Vertical Rail. I was talking to MT today and years ago we both had that same screw come loose letting the head move vertically and especially if the rubber rollers had to roll over some sawdust.... That would give you this situation where the head raised and the logs were not cut to depth properly.

3. This is not likely but worth just looking at... Head Level.... Crank a wide board in the machine and using a bit and the Z Data measure each side.

4. This also not likely but worth looking at... A Rolled under belt on the left side and keypad side...

5. And last but not least... possible a loose Y Bearing letting the head twist.... But 1 and 2 are more likely...

Since it happened more than once in the same place, I eliminate a loose Z Encoder Wheel.

Good Luck,

AL

reeniewhalen
03-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Well i didn't conserve the length, it was cut by the MC from a 6ft stock to the stated 34 1/2" and double checked with a tape measure. I have done other projects with pieces larger than this and they turned out fine since the last time i tried to do this project. As you can see from the photos, the editing i done worked fine and the pieces fit together fine and are square.

mtylerfl
03-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Super-glad to see you were able to get 'er done! Still somewhat of a mystery what caused your initial problem with the changing z causing too much material being shaved off at that half of the board layout.

My money was on a "board drop" on one end, causing "board-raise" on the other, bringing it closer to the carving bit as it fed through. (My two prime suspects became...too short of a board leaving the pressure rollers and/or outfeeds out of line with each other). AL offered several ideas for things to check. Might be worthwhile to investigate those too when you have a chance.

In any case, holler if you need further help nailing down the root-cause.

PCOutlaw
03-18-2013, 02:43 PM
I’m trying to locate this POM (March 2011) to purchase and download, but have been unable to find it. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Nevermind... I found it.
Thanks anyway

mtylerfl
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
I’m trying to locate this POM (March 2011) to purchase and download, but have been unable to find it. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Nevermind... I found it.
Thanks anyway

Glad you found it! The new organization groups the Projects by "difficulty level" category. Honestly, I think it makes it tougher to locate a particular project now. I've had some difficulty finding my own projects too, since I cannot always recall what category a project is in.

Not sure what the solution is...perhaps arrange alphabetically as before? Any suggestions/ideas would be welcome!

lynnfrwd
03-18-2013, 10:07 PM
I think everyone was so use to the old site's search function not working that it is not used like it could be. Works great now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynnfrwd
03-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Plus, you can look up by project vendor...

mtylerfl
03-18-2013, 10:13 PM
I think everyone was so use to the old site's search function not working that it is not used like it could be. Works great now.

Thanks, Connie. I didn't even think of using the Search feature! I need to try that! (as long as I can remember what the name of a project is!) :confused: