PDA

View Full Version : Z motor Power Problem

gibson123
02-22-2011, 10:14 PM
I replaced the Z-Motor today, thought it went well, now I am getting a Z axis stall "E06-0313" error code. Did some trouble shooting and the Z-motor is not getting power, but I did plug it into the Y-Motor board and got resistance with the power on.

So it's not the Z-motor, and must be power running to it. I looked everything over, can't see any issues, any thoughts?

Thanks,
Keith

Digitalwoodshop
02-22-2011, 11:12 PM
There is a OLD 18 Pin Z Motor and a New Z Bundle... With 14 pins....

It is Possible with a OLD Machine to have a OLD 18 Pin FFC (Funny Flat Cable) ((Keeping it Clean....)) LOL... And they sent you a New 14 Pin Z Motor.... Won't Work???

If you have the OLD 18 Pin FFC then you need the "New Z Bundle"..... And Shame on the Tech that sold you the 14 pin Z Motor.... The ONLY one they sell..... Without ASKING you.... "Do you have a OLD 18 Pin FFC Cable NOW...... Last time this happened it shorted out the Computer and the Machine had to take the Big Trip..... I could be TOTALLY WRONG......

But it is always my FIRST QUESTION.... I talked to a guy last week on the Phone with a Probe Problem and he has a 18 Pin FFC Cable.... And the Z was Nose Diving.... With the Probe..... How did I know.... I asked where he plugged the Probe when it WORKED and he said the Truck.... He plugged into the Cover but the Probe was DEAD.... And it will be until HE installs the 14 pin Z Bundle. In my pictures I call the old board a 16 pin but it is a 18 pin....

IF you already have the 14 pin FFC Cable then let me know and there is a big list of OTHER things that can cause this.... The FIRST THING is a BAD 14 pin FFC CABLE.... Broken wire inside....

Let US Know... The WIDER pads on the new 14 pin Motor is SHORTING the thinner 18 pin pads.... Is my Guess.... They don't MIX well.... Lots of SMOKE....

And Just by CHANCE you DID install the New Z Bundle with NEW 14 Pin Cable and now have NO Power... I have seen people install the FFC Cable with the Pads facing the WRONG WAY.... and NO POWER.... The FFC Cable has a Conductive Side and an Plastic Side....

AL

gibson123
02-23-2011, 12:51 AM
Al, thanks a bunch for looking at this. OK, I have the new z-motor. But I noticed a slight tear in the ribbon cable and requested a replacement. I have a feeling that might be it. I'll wait till I get one and try it.

Digitalwoodshop
02-23-2011, 11:12 AM
So I take it that you have the new 14 pin cable.... OK.... There is a black plastic cap on the Z motor end that supports the FFC Cable and one time I left it off and the cable sagged and snagged while moving and ripped it out... That down angle pulling of the FFC cable Smoked the Z Motor... I have more than one machine and was able to swap parts quick to determine the problem.... Be sure to use the black cap.....

And to everyone else reading this, it is a good time if you do not already know to see if you have a OLD 18 pin FFC Cable System... If just to know when it comes time to order parts.... Any 3 year old machine will have the old 18 pin system unless it has been upgraded. I got to install one of the new Z Bundles when it first came out... I needed a 18 pin FFC Cable and they told me about this Z Bundle... That is why all the pictures....

Good Luck.... If your ordering the FFC Cable you should order 2 sets of Cut Motor Brushes NOW to save on Shipping... At 250 Cut Motor Hours you should be replacing them....

AL