PDA

View Full Version : glass

Jimmygee
01-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Has anyone tried an etching in glass? Could it be done if the depth of cut was very limited? I have used my dremel unit on glass and it does well. Looking to carve a glass piece for a table I am making. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Dan-Woodman
01-07-2007, 10:15 PM
thats a question I would like answered to.
My thought is that the 80 lb. of roller presure would breck the glass.

Dennik
01-09-2007, 04:05 PM
From what i read, the specifications of carvewright don't include glass.
But a little google search shows that there are diamond drill bits for that kind of job. I don't know if the drilling rate between glass and wood is very different or if such a difference could create a great amount of strain for the machine.

I guess its up to you to try it and see.

SpiffyDog
01-11-2007, 01:46 PM
My guess is that unless the machine understands that the material is glass, the rate of cut will be too fast, resulting in either broken glass or a broken bit. Unless, of course, the intention is just to etch, which there are easier ways to do that. I wouldn't recommend it.

Jeff_Birt
01-11-2007, 02:42 PM
I used to do a bit of stained glass work. When you are trying to cut glass you need a lot of coolant to keep the bit cool and flush away the grindings. Galss is also VERY abrasive.

Alex
01-12-2007, 11:12 AM
I think this would be doable if you were able to slow down the feed rate. The speed of the spindle shouldn't be a problem. (I use a dremel with diamond bits and coolant to etch and even fully grind glass. I just go slow and use a lot of coolant flow) I have not studied the software capabilities on this machine. Anyone know if you can make the feed rate slower through the "user interface?"

BobHill
01-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Alex,

There is no adjustment for feed speed as it's set for wood, and as has been stated in the thread, glass dust would be awfully gritty and bad for the equipment.

Bob