PDA

View Full Version : Can I V Carve?

sign dude
02-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Hello to all,
I make signs that are v carved with a 60 degree bit and a CNC router. The soft where I use is Enroute to generate G-code. I know the CarveWright will not take the G-code so I am asking... will the center line cut feature cut and follow the path as a vcarve program will. I need a portable machine and this would fit my needs if it does what I need it to.
Here is a picture of a sign I make, I can cut this in 3 mins. can i do this on the CarveWright? http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq299/carved-wood-signs/CIMG0502.jpg

lynnfrwd
02-20-2011, 09:58 AM
You mean like they did on Bathtastic this morning?! A resounding YES!!! Only our machine takes up a fraction or the floor space, software is easier to use, and cost is dramatically less!!

TerryT
02-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Bathtastic??

Capt Bruce
02-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Bathtastic??

Terry,

That would be a show on television. You know, that large glowing flat screen thing we all used to watch before we got our CarveWrights.

Ike
02-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Hello to all,
I make signs that are v carved with a 60 degree bit and a CNC router. The soft where I use is Enroute to generate G-code. I know the CarveWright will not take the G-code so I am asking... will the center line cut feature cut and follow the path as a vcarve program will. I need a portable machine and this would fit my needs if it does what I need it to.
Here is a picture of a sign I make, I can cut this in 3 mins. can i do this on the CarveWright? http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq299/carved-wood-signs/CIMG0502.jpg

Sign Dude I too am a sign dude! Yes the CW centerline will convert any true type font to a vector cut. Cutting the sign in 3 minutes, that I am not sure? First off how large is the sign? The bummer is there is no cut rate adjustment. But as Lynn said, the great thing is the CW is compact and the cost for the machine and software is far less! Not to mention FREE updates for the designer!

So you may it take a little longer to carve things that take 3 minutes, but the other advantages out weigh the difference!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Yes, like said above, the CW will carve Signs VERY WELL... It does take it's time cutting Centerline Text, but the wait is worth it...

Once you load a font in your computer you can use it in Designer.

Good Luck,

AL

Capt Bruce
02-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Sign Dude,

You've had answers from some of our most prolific sign makers above and I think the assurance is that the CW can carve most any sign you can come up with as long as the basic height (width on the CW) does not exceed 14.5" and to some extent the height of the letters is reasonable (Body stroke not wider than about .7"). All that said the letter carving is perhaps slower than most full out CNCs out there. But the examples you can see here on the Forum should help give you a good sampling of what it can create.

If you'll provide us sample sign heights and letter heights we can give you better data on the capabilities. Above all, if it exists as a True Type font, it's yours to work with.

TerryT
02-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Television? Oh, yeah. It's that thing that just sits there. Doesn't go up and down or anything. 56 inches and 900 channels and nothing worth watching. Except for rough cut and I'm getting a little burned out on that.

Capt Bruce
02-21-2011, 06:58 AM
I miss the Router Workshop and The New Yankee Workshop. Did Norm ever get to try out a CarveWright? The Woodwight show has also disappeared in this market too, so as you've said nothing worth watching. All in all I'd rather be creating than watching anyhow but I miss my Mentors and their ideas. It was like having a whole other set of skilled Grandfathers and Uncles willing to teach me.

TerryT
02-21-2011, 07:32 AM
I miss the Router Workshop and The New Yankee Workshop. Did Norm ever get to try out a CarveWright? The Woodwight show has also disappeared in this market too, so as you've said nothing worth watching. All in all I'd rather be creating than watching anyhow but I miss my Mentors and their ideas. It was like having a whole other set of skilled Grandfathers and Uncles willing to teach me.

You got it! I watched Norm every Saturday morning for 20 years or so. He was like family. I also enjoyed the router workshop and miss it as well.

I should apologize to Sign Dude for messing up his thread but something tells me he ain't coming back anyway. Hope I'm wrong.

TerryT
02-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Hello to all,
Yeah, we can handle that. This is a customer with a sign he requested. Eight feet long so it took a little more than 3 minutes. Cut with a 90 degree bit. You know you have a good machine when you can do an eight foot sign in one setup!?

TerryT
03-28-2011, 03:28 AM
You got it! I watched Norm every Saturday morning for 20 years or so. He was like family. I also enjoyed the router workshop and miss it as well.

I should apologize to Sign Dude for messing up his thread but something tells me he ain't coming back anyway. Hope I'm wrong.

Hello!! ..... echo.....echo.....
Sign Dude! ..... echo.....echo

Darn, guess I was right.

lawrence
03-28-2011, 08:21 AM
First let me say hello to sign dude-- welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you find the info you are looking for. If you tell me the size of the letters and what font you are looking to do I'll do an estimate on how long it will take. It will, as others have stated, probably be quite a bit longer than 3 minutes, but until we know how large the fonts are I can't tell you how long for sure.

Secondly, Captain- here's a little gift from me to you in case you haven't found them--
This season of the woodwright
http://video.unctv.org/program/1421129721/
The previous 5 seasons
http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3000/index.html
a "new" (old) episode of NYW every week
http://www.newyankee.com/online
40 or so woodworks episodes-- they are hit or miss as to whether the video is there or not--the * is a good indicator (click on the titles to go to the video site)
http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks.asp
"the woodworking channel" - above the actual video box are the different "channels" to watch and there are dozens of shows available including 40 or so episodes of the router workshop
http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php

I hope you find these of use-- and (to answer your q. on another post) unfortunately I won't be able to attend the conference. I'd love to meet you guys in person though. Maybe next year.
Lawrence

Capt Bruce
03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Secondly, Captain- here's a little gift from me to you in case you haven't found them--
This season of the woodwright
The previous 5 seasons
a "new" (old) episode of NYW every week
40 or so woodworks episodes-- they are hit or miss as to whether the video is there or not[URL]
"the woodworking channel" - above the actual video box are the different "channels" to watch and there are dozens of shows available including 40 or so episodes of the router workshop
I hope you find these of use--

and (to answer your q. on another post) unfortunately I won't be able to attend the conference. I'd love to meet you guys in person though. Maybe next year.
Lawrence

Good morning Lawrence,

How very kind of you to pass along these links to my favorites on-line. I had not come across any of them. I was too busy grousing and complaining about not having anything to watch instead of searching. You have re-filled my Saturdays for the foreseeable future. Thanks.

Sorry you can't be with us in Texas this May but we'll try to report on the Convention activities and provide some photos of the rabble so you too can put names with faces. We'll meet in person somewhere one of these days. Again, many thanks Lawrence.

TerryT
03-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Wow, this past Saturday was great! Everything was on. They were mostly all on one channel instead of 3 different ones. But rough cut is on the same channel and time as Norm used to be.

Deolman
03-28-2011, 08:18 PM
How come nobody has mentioned the WoodSmith Shop? I like their show.

lawrence
03-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Saturday mornings are usually reserved for soccer/gardening/shop time... My television is pretty much relegated to cartoon and Playstation duty unless it is football season. I tend to either use a portable dvd player or my ipod. I watch shows while working out on the eliptical (about 5 hours per week) or in bed at night before falling asleep.

I'm currently watching the Charles Brock DVDs that came with the plans for a Maloof style rocker and dining chair (upcoming projects)

I also really enjoy watching the old fine ww'ing videos on Tage Frid etc.

When I have insomnia (and I can't stress enough how well this works for me) I put in the instructional dvds that came with my incra router table or the instructional dvd for my norton waterstones. Like something out of a sci-fi movie I fall asleep within 5 minutes every time. LOML is nervous that one day I'll use the video in my shop to make a double dovetail and when I turn it on I'll fall asleep in my shop :)

I sure wish I could get the rough cut show here as I find Tommy to be entertaining, though Norm is one of the men that inspired me to start ww'ing in the first place and I'll always value his television mentorship.

My favorite by far is the woodwright show. Roy Underhill is truly one of our nation's treasures.

Lawrence

gregsolano
03-28-2011, 09:37 PM
How come nobody has mentioned the WoodSmith Shop? I like their show.

In my area Woodsmith shop replaced New Yankee Workshop on PBS and then three weeks ago it was replaced with rough cut. I also liked the woodsmith shop but its gone from my area now. I also like the Wood Whisperer which is an online show.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/

dataman001
03-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Can one also use a 1/2" ball nose or straight bit for signs? The program will not let you choose a bit once you have selected text.

AskBud
03-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Can one also use a 1/2" ball nose or straight bit for signs? The program will not let you choose a bit once you have selected text.
You must be selecting a Raster carve, as the bit selection is available in Outline and Centerline. However, it may not be wise to stray too far from the suggested bits.
AskBud

dataman001
03-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Bud - Thanks!
Sounds like I will need the Centerline Text Software. What is the Outline Software? I didn't see it on the list.

AskBud
03-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Bud - Thanks!
Sounds like I will need the Centerline Text Software. What is the Outline Software? I didn't see it on the list.
Text Outline comes up on the Text selection screen. If it's not available to you, at present, it will be when you get centerline (Since I have centerline, I'm not sure if it is standard , or just a part of centerline. I seem to remember that it was/is standard with the Text selection).
AskBud

atauer
03-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Text Outline comes up on the Text selection screen. If it's not available to you, at present, it will be when you get centerline (Since I have centerline, I'm not sure if it is standard , or just a part of centerline. I seem to remember that it was/is standard with the Text selection).
AskBud

Bud,

You remember correct. The software comes with two standard routing options for text: Raster and Outline. Centerline is the add-on to the text. Been that way ever since I started here, which is coming up on 4 years.

Capt Bruce
03-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Lawrence,
You mentioned,
"I sure wish I could get the rough cut show here as I find Tommy to be entertaining, though Norm is one of the men that inspired me to start ww'ing in the first place and I'll always value his television mentorship."

I'll have to see if there isn't a way to transcribe Tommy from my Uverse recordings to a "back-up" copies on DVD for you. Strictly to achive them for safe keeping mind you, since you were so kind to put me onto that treasure of older shows on the web. I'm still exploring that trove. If Congress can't get their act together and manages to shut down the Government for a week or so I'll have some time to try this since I'm just a Disaster Recovery Manager and "non-essential" in their definition. I wonder which one a flood victim would rather see coming into their town; a Congressional staffer or the FEMA disaster assistance team?

lawrence
04-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks Capt- that would be AWESOME.

Lawrence