PDA

View Full Version : Using external graphics packages...

DurhamDev
02-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi all,

Ok, this is - I guess - my second foray into the 'newb' questions... ...and I'm hoping it's a simple answer that will help me out a lot.

If I'm working on a graphic in my graphic package (I use Ulead PhotoImpact X3, but could start working in Photoshop CS5 if I had to) and want to bring it in to the CarveWright Designer, what's the best way of doing it? Is it simply a 'copy and paste', as I've been trying? (I've had mixed results, I think, to say the least.) Here is what I have been doing: I draw a circle, with a thick outer edge and NO fill (for example) and then select it. I click copy and then in CWD, I paste it in. It imports as a pattern (yes?) and I click the 'lower' arrow once, so that there isn't a 'frame' around the image, if I want just the circle... ...and even then, the inside and outside edges of the circle are being cut.

Here is a pic of my graphic...

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5223/86103020.png

...and here is a pic of CarveWright Designer does:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4495/40765899.png

What I would hope to see is the circle fully carved out... ...and whoops. I think I might just have figured it out. I *just* clicked "Invert" and there it is, as I envisioned it. So, I guess I'll ask these two questions. One, is this how it's done? Two, is this the best way to do it, to get the best quality image?

Am I doing this right? Thanks, in advance!

Rick // The DurhamDev

p.s. Oh, I figured out another question. As this becomes a 'pattern', once it has been imported, is there no way to import vectors, so that I can utilize the 'conform' part of the software? (I have purchased both the Centreline and Vector add-ons... ...in case that makes a difference.)

dbfletcher
02-19-2011, 10:54 PM
As this becomes a 'pattern', once it has been imported, is there no way to import vectors, so that I can utilize the 'conform' part of the software? (I have purchased both the Centreline and Vector add-ons... ...in case that makes a difference.)

You currently have two options for importing vectors. You can use the free ai2mpc (search the forum or google) or you can purchase the dxf importer. I got along just fine using ai2mpc before I finally broke down and shelled out the $ for the dxf importer. DXF importer does offer several options that are not available way.

www.carvenow.com
02-25-2011, 03:54 AM
To get quality pattern and accurate measurement from external graphic software you must start with a graphic image at 128 dpi resolution and save as .PNG file type. For example, if you have a 3"x4" at 128 dpi resolution when you import it to CWD it will become a pattern at 3"x4". The black/darkest part = the depth and white/lightest part = the height of the pattern.