PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Question

lilskip
02-19-2011, 03:05 PM
After a few carvings and having one finally come out worth finishing. Here is teh Question what is the best way to Sand the Carving and not loose alot of detail. The only thing I have found so far that doesn't totally mess it up is a dremal with a nylon brush wheel, but even that doesn't have a great out come. So If anyone can give me some Tips I would greatly appreciate it.

AskBud
02-19-2011, 03:25 PM
After a few carvings and having one finally come out worth finishing. Here is the Question what is the best way to Sand the Carving and not loose alot of detail. The only thing I have found so far that doesn't totally mess it up is a dremal with a nylon brush wheel, but even that doesn't have a great out come. So If anyone can give me some Tips I would greatly appreciate it.
I find that setting the carving quality to "Optimal", as you load it to the Memory Card, will eliminate almost any need for sanding.

The other thing you will learn, is to ease up on the depth and height settings on items with small detail. Remember that the carving bit is tapered, and that the deeper it goes, the more it erases (over-cuts) on either side.
AskBud

dbfletcher
02-19-2011, 03:31 PM
I have a 6" 400 grit samding mop that I really like. I've also made smaller 2" sanding mops for my dremel that work pretty well also. Good luck! And welcome to the forum.

bjbethke
02-19-2011, 04:39 PM
After a few carvings and having one finally come out worth finishing. Here is teh Question what is the best way to Sand the Carving and not loose alot of detail. The only thing I have found so far that doesn't totally mess it up is a dremal with a nylon brush wheel, but even that doesn't have a great out come. So If anyone can give me some Tips I would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum, I use a sanding Mop - they are easy to make. The one on the Drill Press works the best; I used 180 grit sanding strips. It works fast and polishes the wood. This one I made in November 2008

mtylerfl
02-19-2011, 04:51 PM

Hello,

Some excellent tips have already been given, and will surely help you.

I use the small 3M Radial Brush sanding disks and achieve great results. One mistake I made early on was to use the 220-grit (red disks) exclusively...took longer with just the 220. I now use the 80-grit (yellow disks) to get the majority of the job done quickly, then follow-up with the 220-grit, if necessary. Fine details are preserved and the finish is wonderful.

I have discovered that the bigger (6" diameter) standard-size sanding mops are useful for large areas without lots of fine detail. The 180-grit have the potential for being a bit too aggressive until they are very well broken in (finely frayed). The 240-grit is probably safer/better for most folks. I will sometimes use the larger sanding mops to get "overall" sanding done on some projects, then follow-up with the smaller 3M disks for getting into the details.

lilskip
02-20-2011, 02:30 AM
Thanks for all the great Tips. I guess I am making some Mops. Micheal where do you get the 3M disc for the dremal I have ones for my Ziz wheel but I have never seen the smaller ones for the the Dremel.

mtylerfl
02-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Thanks for all the great Tips. I guess I am making some Mops. Micheal where do you get the 3M disc for the dremal I have ones for my Ziz wheel but I have never seen the smaller ones for the the Dremel.

Hello,

Here's a quote from our website about the discs...

"Fuzzie" removal... If you own a Dremel tool, use the miniature 3M Radial Bristle Discs (http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs666AA4COrrrr Q-) "for jewelry" to safely remove fuzzies from your carvings, without loss of detail. Stack multiple discs (3 to 6 or more) on the mandrel (3/32" dia. part # 4494A44) to suit the task at hand - http://www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com/) sells the discs online for about $1.01 each (search their site for "radial bristle discs"). We use McMaster part # 4494A19 (80 grit), part #4494A18 (220 grit) and #4494A17 (400 grit) discs.

The 3M bristle discs are stacked three (or more) at a time on a mandrel and they last me through several projects (4 or 5 at least). You don't need to apply much pressure at all (practically none) for them to make quick work out of the detail sanding process. I turn my Dremel speed dial to about 6 to 8. Try starting with the 80-grit and 220-grit. (Most folks probably won't use the 400-grit very often.)

The company Otto Frei sells the 3M discs online also, but I've never ordered from them myself. Here is a link to Otto Frei:
http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php?cat=1361

By the way, the fellow who invented the 3M radial sanding discs is a CarveWright owner! (His handle on the Forum is Rick P. He worked for 3M for over 35 years.)

eelamb
02-20-2011, 06:45 AM
I get mine from Otto Frei, and have had no problem with them, shipping is fast too.

mtylerfl
02-20-2011, 06:48 AM
I get mine from Otto Frei, and have had no problem with them, shipping is fast too.

Hi Eddie,

They are a little less costly from there, too. Shows the 80-grit for only 83 cents each (minimum order of 12) - unfortunately, they also show they are out of stock on those at the moment.

Capt Bruce
02-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Welcome to the Forum lilskip!

I've had great service and fast shipping from Otto Frei as well when buying a supply of the 3M disks.

I also recommend the 4" dia sanding mops available in all grits from Rockler. I use them chucked into my rechargeable hand drill as it gives me portability and the choice of instantly moving the speed, rotation and angle at which I apply the mop to the surface. As noted above it is important to break in the mops well on other scrap wood so the sandpaper ends are softer before you go at the finer details. The mops have easily cut my sanding time by 2/3rds and they allow me greater control of the process.

We'll look forward to seeing some of your projects and welcome aboard.

lilskip
02-21-2011, 12:06 PM
WOW those 3M discs are sweet I tried my Large ones that I use when I am Powder coating and It worked great. I am going to order some for the Dremal to get the small stuff. OH yeah did I mention I have Sanding hahaha.

eelamb
02-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi Eddie,

They are a little less costly from there, too. Shows the 80-grit for only 83 cents each (minimum order of 12) - unfortunately, they also show they are out of stock on those at the moment.

Hey MT
Maybe there are too many CW users to handle the supply and demand of the disc, since they are so popular. (smile)

mtylerfl
02-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Hey MT
Maybe there are too many CW users to handle the supply and demand of the disc, since they are so popular. (smile)

Eddie, you could be right!!

badger2424
02-25-2011, 11:31 PM
lilskip, drimel makes sanding wheels that are plastic that are different grit and work great except they don't last long. And at $8 a piece I can't afford them. I've been doing some golf course signs that have a woodgrain background with alot of fuzz, and bought about 5 different sanders to get in between the groves, what I found out is I had the right tool from a drimel pack all the time. The fine wire wheel works great. I have a roto zip with a flex shaft, used the wire wheel and put the rpm at 15000, and it works as good as anything I have found yet and it hasn't worn out in 10 signs whereas the dremel sanding wheels lasted about 1 1/2 signs. But I haven't spent the $30 for a mop so I'm lost there.

Capt Bruce
02-26-2011, 01:34 PM
The folks at Otto Frei were kind enough to advise me yesterday that the 3M Radial Discs I wanted were back in stock.

The item is in stock.
#8422: 3M 3/4" Radial Bristle Discs 80 Grit Yellow (http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=8422)
840 item(s) in stock

They are kind enough to offer this service through their on-line site if an item is out of stock.

lilskip
02-26-2011, 04:30 PM
The folks at Otto Frei were kind enough to advise me yesterday that the 3M Radial Discs I wanted were back in stock.

The item is in stock.
#8422: 3M 3/4" Radial Bristle Discs 80 Grit Yellow (http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=8422)
840 item(s) in stock

They are kind enough to offer this service through their on-line site if an item is out of stock.

I just got my 3m disc in and they work sweet. Thanks for the Suggestion everyone. Nothing I have more than Finish Work so anything to make it easier I will welcome.
Thanks Again
David

chkorte
02-26-2011, 09:16 PM
I've bought sanding mops from stockroomsupply.com. They have sanding mops in 6 inch, 4 inch, 1 1/2 inch and 1 inch.

Icutone2
02-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Try this place Fast Delivery and great prices. http://www.widgetsupply.com/
Lee

nuchie
04-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I just bought my Carvewright and made several trial patterns. The projects are rough I went to Woodcraft to get a sanding mop and they sold me a sanding star 220 grit. Will this work or do I need something else? :confused:

earlyrider
04-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Use 'em if you got 'em. I'm a fan of the 3M Radial Bristle disks,the 2" size is my favorite @ 220 grit. go see Otto Frei.
Ron