PDA

View Full Version : Virtual pattern and cutting don't match

jag0813
02-14-2011, 06:48 AM
I am having difficulty with a pattern. When I look at my virtual pattern it appears exactly as I want it. All elements are in place correctly. When I actually have the machine cut the design several of the elements are shifted and out of place, specifically approximately 1/8-1/4 of an inch lower. Not all of the elements are like this, only certain ones. I don't know how to correct the pattern, as the pattern appears perfect. Any thoughts?

AskBud
02-14-2011, 07:03 AM
I am having difficulty with a pattern. When I look at my virtual pattern it appears exactly as I want it. All elements are in place correctly. When I actually have the machine cut the design several of the elements are shifted and out of place, specifically approximately 1/8-1/4 of an inch lower. Not all of the elements are like this, only certain ones. I don't know how to correct the pattern, as the pattern appears perfect. Any thoughts?
I think you may be talking about a design (MPC) rather than a true pattern.
We will probably need to see your design (MPC) to be able to help you.
Hopefully, you are not using a purchased pattern within your MPC. If that is true, attach the MPC to the reply you make to this thread, and tell us what is out of place, and in what direction.
AskBud

jag0813
02-14-2011, 07:23 AM
You are correct, it is an MPC. I have attached the file. The items that are out of place are: Arc 3 and Arc 2 which are accomplished by using a 60Deg V groove (the two arcs that connect the 3 leaf designs at the far left of the pattern as you view it). They are displaced to the right (as you look at the pattern on the screen). The next items displaced are the two items both titled Line 1 (they each lie to either side of the two circles connected by the line). They are both displaced approx 1/8-1/4 inch to the right of where they actually appear in the MPC.

I apologize for the labeling of the items. I had them all grouped and labeled in the very original MPC I created, but when I copied the items from the original (in order to combine with another MPC) into one pattern, all of the groupings and labels I had were removed. (also not sure why that happens).

I am knew to this, so hopefully I explained this well enough.

AskBud
02-14-2011, 07:58 AM
What is the size of your actual board?
I know that your design board is 25.5x6x1.

Did you place masking tape on the bottom of your board, on the keyboard side?

I also sent you a private message.
AskBud

AskBud
02-14-2011, 08:32 AM
While we are waiting on your reply or call, here are some thoughts.

Turn on a 1/2" grid.
Now, magnify your design so you get a larger view of the area involved.

You can see the location of each item better, and you will notice that they do not line up as you thought. Several things are off center by .032, and the end points on the arcs in the center are not equal distance from the end of the design nor to the center of the design. Your circles may also be off somewhat.
AskBud

jag0813
02-14-2011, 08:50 AM
The size of my actual board is approx 33". I am allowing it at least 3.5" on either side. I did not place masking tape on the bottom edge. As I indicated I am a newbie on this. I am assuming that assists with tracking in some fashion?

AskBud
02-14-2011, 08:53 AM
The size of my actual board is approx 33". I am allowing it at least 3.5" on either side. I did not place masking tape on the bottom edge. As I indicated I am a newbie on this. I am assuming that assists with tracking in some fashion?
What is the width of your actual board?
Yes, The tape gives better assurance of constant Brass Roller contact.
AskBud

jag0813
03-16-2011, 04:57 PM
I am still having issues with this MPC. It works beautifully sometimes and then suddenly it moves certain items down lower on the board than they should be. I have tried reformatting my card. I have tried uploading my MPC to the card each time before I run the project, with little rhyme or reason to why it works one time and not the next.42944429454294642943I have included these images to illustrate what it is doing. The first image of each set is the correct pattern, the second of each shows the displacement of elements of the pattern. These pieces were produced by the same MPC. Hope someone can help. Thanks!

liquidguitars
03-16-2011, 05:39 PM
sounds like it could be a table pressure issue, I like to check the pressure before I carve, one of the simple ways of doing this is to load the board front waste under the board sensor then crank down the unit and lift up on the long end, if you have a lot of wiggle you need more surface pressure, the best is to have a little spring in the rollers of about 1/16" up and down.