PDA

View Full Version : ERROR: Please Load Piece: Board (BACK)

carlbeck
02-12-2011, 10:47 AM
This past week I downloaded and installed the software update 1.178. Since then I have not been able to load the machine. After selecting a project, slelecting "Don't stay under the Rollers, (Using a Sled), I get the error: Please Load Piece: Board (BACK). I have also tried to just load the Board to carve (Oak) and get the same error. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Since I posted this problem about 1 hour ago, I think I found the problem but unable to fix it. My board pressure is only around 35 pound. I have cleaned the guild rails and lubricated them. I have cleaned the drive rods and lubricated them but still only able to get about 37 pounds. I removed the handle and cleaned out excess grease and was able to get it up to 44 pounds. NOW WHAT DO I DO?

earlyrider
02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Are you trying to run a two sided project? If so, as long as the board is actually in place, just push enter button.
Ron

Ike
02-12-2011, 11:51 AM
This past week I downloaded and installed the software update 1.178. Since then I have not been able to load the machine. After selecting a project, slelecting "Don't stay under the Rollers, (Using a Sled), I get the error: Please Load Piece: Board (BACK). I have also tried to just load the Board to carve (Oak) and get the same error. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Since I posted this problem about 1 hour ago, I think I found the problem but unable to fix it. My board pressure is only around 35 pound. I have cleaned the guild rails and lubricated them. I have cleaned the drive rods and lubricated them but still only able to get about 37 pounds. I removed the handle and cleaned out excess grease and was able to get it up to 44 pounds. NOW WHAT DO I DO?

Like Ron asked if it is a 2 sided carving if so just hit enter and flip the same way it does in the designer. As forth to your head pressure and no not yours the CW's! The best thing to do is look it up in the manual and the tips and tricks, I bet askbud has a video on it also! It would take too long to type! One other thing how warm is your shop? Under 60 degrees too cold and your head pressure will go down. It sounds like the head is not level and in the manual it goes step by step to fix.

Ike

Capt Bruce
02-12-2011, 11:54 AM
As Earlyrider mentioned your file being carved contains something related to a two sided carve and the machine is asking you to confirm you have the backside of the board loaded up so it can proceed. That warning has saved me twice from carving on the wrong side of a board. The machine is set up to always carve the back side first since the final step will be the outline cutout done from the front side of the board.

Digitalwoodshop
02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Yes, to see the Forest through the Trees.... It is not about the board...... It is about Head Pressure OR Roller Switches.... How does the computer know to give you a load board message..... It looks at the condition or Switch Position of the 2 Roller Switches... The Condition should be Compressed.... IF NOT... Then it tells you... Please load board.....

ANY of us could force this Error just by un cranking the head a 1/2 turn after loading the board....

SO.... It's Head Pressure because of DRY Vertical Posts and DRY Jacking Screws OR a Un LEVEL head.... One of the Cross connect Gears on the bottom of the machine has slipped a tooth causing binding. A GOOD Cleaning could fix it... Plus Air TEMP.... If the machine is TOO cold the head does not move as easy and the crank starts to click before the head has the correct pressure on the board...

OR... The Switches on the Rollers have Dust compacted.... Remove the Keypad Side CAREFUL of the WIRES and clean the Switch Area... See pictures....

Using Options and Sensor Data and Rollers... Watch for the switch condition... Compressed or Un compressed...

Good Luck,

AL

Deolman
02-12-2011, 12:14 PM
You may need to re-align the vertical rails the head rides on. Look here:

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_adjust_head_pressure.pdf

I think most units are tweaked by the original shipping and sometimes it takes a while for the problem to manifest itself. Let us know if this helps.

carlbeck
02-12-2011, 05:10 PM
OR... The Switches on the Rollers have Dust compacted.... Remove the Keypad Side CAREFUL of the WIRES and clean the Switch Area... See pictures....

Well I followed the procedure for "Head Pressure" and upun reassembly the head pressure went from the original 35 to 40 pound to between 55 and 60 pounds. AL-Who: I tried to remove the keypad side to check the switches, by removing the 2 screws below the keypad but was unable to remove the side. Am I missing something? I guess the only thing left fromthe procedure in the manual is to call CW Tech Spt.

fwharris
02-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Well I followed the procedure for "Head Pressure" and upun reassembly the head pressure went from the original 35 to 40 pound to between 55 and 60 pounds. AL-Who: I tried to remove the keypad side to check the switches, by removing the 2 screws below the keypad but was unable to remove the side. Am I missing something? I guess the only thing left fromthe procedure in the manual is to call CW Tech Spt.

You also have to remove the 2 bolts from the black end cover.
http://www.carvewright.com/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_LCD_cable.pdf

This will give instructions for removing the end panel.

carlbeck
02-13-2011, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=fwharris;148121]You also have to remove the 2 bolts from the black end cover.

I finally figured that out and opeened it, and cleaned the swith contacts but still can only get a little over 55 pounds.

Thanks for your input. I will be calling a Tech Rep Monday.

Ike
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=fwharris;148121]You also have to remove the 2 bolts from the black end cover.

I finally figured that out and opeened it, and cleaned the swith contacts but still can only get a little over 55 pounds.

Thanks for your input. I will be calling a Tech Rep Monday.

Carl the manual has all the answers and pictures, but I will tell you how to adjust the head! It is a pain and I need to adjust mine! You will need 2- 1.5" thick by 2" wide by 12" boards. It is important the are exactly the same width. Insert both boards on each side of the CW left and right. Then you do is flip the CW on the side and remove the bottom plate.

A hint with the screws take your air compressor and blow out all the junk in the slots or use a small object, otherwise you will strip the screws. Once you have the plate off then you will need to remove the screws holding the tie rod on the right side so that the gear is not making contact.

Then carefully set the CW upright, now one of the boards will be loose, most likely the right side opposite of key pad. Now that you disconnected the tie rod you will need to manual adjust the right side using the threaded rod. Find the hole towards the bottom and you can use an allen wrench that will fit. The left side you can use the crank, adjust both sides until the 2 boards are the same tightness.

Once you leveled the head do not remove the boards and flip the CW on the side again and connect the tie rod to the right side once again. Install the bottom again and if you use a power drill set the drill so it will not strip the head of the screw. Once the bottom plate is installed carefully set the CW upright and test your head pressure. It should be good to go! Remember to do this in a warm shop, a cold shop will give you lower pressure.

One other step to level the out feed tables I use 2-4' levels that are identical and put one on the left and one on the right. Lower the head and now both should not be able to move. The adjust in feed and out feed table. Now your tables are level! I would also take a board a 12" by 36" is recommended, the long the better. Anyway measure the board and put it in the CW and go to option 7 on the keypad and measure your board. If you use a 11.5" by 24" it should be the same or really close!

If not then you need to adjust your X measurement. Now that is best explained in the manual. You will find you manual in programs to the designer and you find the manual!

I hope this helped and if you need any more PM me and I will give you my phone number and help you!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
02-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Now to address another reason for low head pressure. Ike is right on... A un level head will binde... Once you have the head level you can install a wide board and with a bit installed touch the board on the left and right side reading the Z Data on the LCD.

SO if you head IS level then it is time to clean and lube the 4 smooth uprights and 2 jacking screws.... With a wire brush clean the exposed jacking threads and exposed smooth rails. Spray some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench in the inner bushings of the smooth rails and threaded rod area. Work the head up and down cleaning the junk out... Then re lubricate it with..... You choice... I use Chain Lube with Molly...

The Dragging of the head on the smooth rails or jacking threads is a big part of your problem...

AL

carlbeck
02-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Now to address another reason for low head pressure. Ike is right on... A un level head will binde... Once you have the head level you can install a wide board and with a bit installed touch the board on the left and right side reading the Z Data on the LCD.

AL

I figured out how to do this and each side of the board, the Z data is exactly the same.
I called Tech Support and after explaining all I have done, he said he was sending me some washers to put in front of the spring in the handle. I currently have 2 washers. The extra washers will provide additional spring pressure for the clutch. I tried Lowe's but could not find any washers that would fit.
I want to thank everyone for their input, especially AL-Who and Ike.

carlbeck
02-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Well today I received 3 washers to go in front of the spring on the Clutch handle. I put all 3 in and now I am able to get the head pressure up to 76 pounds. Remember I started out with 35 pounds. After following the procedure "Checking and Adjusting the head pressure" in the manual, I got it up to 55 pounds. The 3 washers did the rest.

I find it real strange that I have been using my machine for 8 months, that the problem just now raised it's ugly head. I am wondering if Software version 1.178 mad it more critical????

Ike
02-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Well today I received 3 washers to go in front of the spring on the Clutch handle. I put all 3 in and now I am able to get the head pressure up to 76 pounds. Remember I started out with 35 pounds. After following the procedure "Checking and Adjusting the head pressure" in the manual, I got it up to 55 pounds. The 3 washers did the rest.

I find it real strange that I have been using my machine for 8 months, that the problem just now raised it's ugly head. I am wondering if Software version 1.178 mad it more critical????

Carl good to hear you got the pressure up! I totally forgot about the washer trick! They are located in the post bolts, guess I should add a few to mine! The software has nothing to do with the head pressure, funny how things change when the machine sits for awhile! Guess you need to use it a least once a week!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
02-16-2011, 10:34 PM

I am betting that if you did a deep cleaning of the 4 vertical rails and 2 jacking screws including spraying penetrating oil down inside the jacking thread screw nut and the 4 post sleeves. I think it is just the dragging of the movement over whelming the clutch... You have the difference between the 35 pounds the board saw and the hand crank 76 pounds. I bet if you did a deep cleaning you would need to remove the washers.....

It is GOOD to see you back up and running with the adding of the washers... GOOD JOB !!!

AL

carlbeck
02-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi Al. I'll bet you didn't read all my posts. I did all of the things to mentioned before I called Tech Support. That got me up tp 55 pounds. The washers did the rest.