PDA

View Full Version : Fixing sandpaper belts that creep up

chkorte
02-10-2011, 09:11 PM
A couple of weeks ago my CW was giving me grief, not measuring boards correctly. I went on the forum and researched the problem. Two things I found to check were the O-ring and belt curling under itself. Well I found I was missing the O-ring but the belts looked fine. I replaced the O-ring but still had the problem. I took a closer look at the sandpaper belts and discovered that they had indeed curled under about 1/8”. That 1/8” apparently caused the board to not make good contact with the O-ring and the brass star wheel. I took the CW apart per the online instructions and removed the sandpaper belts. Not having any new ones I on hand I trimmed about 1/2” off of the bad end, flipped them end for end and reinstalled them. A quick check and the CW is operating fine. Here we are a couple weeks and a few carves later and I look and see the belts are again creeping up on the end of the rollers. Not looking forward to dismantling the CW, not to mention I still don’t have another set of belts, I looked for a way to slide the belts back down on the rollers without dismantling them and found one. I made a shaped block out of wood and then using another piece of wood as a pry bar between the roller and the out feed tray I compressed the spring on the end of each roller and used the block I had made to hold the spring compressed while I slid the sandpaper belts back down the roller. On the one end I just used a square block of wood between the roller and the tray but on the other end I needed a block specially shaped to fit behind the roller and rest on the end of the pin that holds the roller. Worked great. A couple of things to remember. When using that piece of wood as a pry bar between the roller and the out feed tray stay as close as you can to the end of the roller. Prying on the roller in the middle could bend the roller. On the back end of the roller you can position the block so it rests on the end of the roller but on the front end of the roller you need the block specially shaped to fit behind the roller because the sandpaper belts will be right to the end of the roller. This trick does nothing to fix the belt if it is curling under itself. In that case you will need to dismantle the CW and take the sandpaper belts off to fix them. Also when using a piece of wood as a pry bar use a piece that is almost as thick as the space between the roller and the out feed tray. If you compress the springs and have the blocks in place and can’t get the sandpaper belts to slide then you didn’t make the blocks wide enough. Two of the pictures show the blocks in place and the third one just shows the profile. I plan on making a new block out of steel now that I know what they should look like.

dbfletcher
02-10-2011, 09:43 PM
That along the same idea as this post from early 2009. I just went to lowes and found bolts that where the right size to put between the tables and the belts and then use the tables as the "lever" to compress the belts. Either way is definately easier then removing the belt trays.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?10651-Traction-Belt-Trick&p=83221#post83221

kool69sporty
02-11-2011, 08:01 AM
ch, those belts are likely moving because of uneven pressure between the compression rollers and the belts. I found that 1 of the smooth corner posts had a loose bolts that is in the bottom. Might also be caused by debris on rollers, head level, head pressure, all the usual suspects. FYI. Joe

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I have some insight on this problem....

When I was running 12 inch wide boards 99% of the time I had NO belt Creep.....

When I was running 6 inch wide boards 80% of the time I had belt Creep....

So I believe it is caused by running narrow boards and the belt over time stretching slightly into a cone shape with the keypad side being bigger.... That causes the belt to shift and roll under.... It is hard to see a rolled under belt and many dismiss that request to check....

What I do is at the out feed side... With the power OFF... I cut the belt between the roller and the inner tray about 3/4 of an inch. I then strip the belt off, pushing the belt backwards with my hand. I have done this 5 or 6 times this fall before I changed the belt. Even a new belt at Christmas started to creep within weeks. I always have about 1/2 to 3/4 bear roller and inner tray with NO trouble....

It does not take much for the belt to stretch.... Just a fraction of a inch to make it tapered... and start creeping.....

So just another W A G... From AL..... Wild AL Guess....

AL

cnsranch
02-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Wild AL Guess

I like it - a new catch phrase! WooHoo!

PCW
02-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Abbreviations Or Acronyms

I see a new sticky.... CW CC WAG CT POW RC and the list gone on and on. [smiley]