PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Error (2!)

Jeff_Birt
01-06-2007, 01:12 PM
I received a, “Fatal Error (2!)”, recently while carving a piece of stock held by a fixture. It carved fine, but when I put in the cut out bit it error out during the bit sensing routine. I suspected that it may have been due to using the ‘Cut Out’ tool in designer so I made up two simple drawings, one cut out with the ‘Cut Out’ tool (a) and the other with the ‘Rout’ tool (b) (manually leaving tabs to prevent the part from becoming loose). Both were cut with the stock held in the fixture. Part (a) done with the ‘Cut Out’ tool again gave a “Fatal Error (2!)” and part (b) done with the ‘Rout’ tool worked fine.

So if you plan on using a fixture, don’t use the ‘Cut Out’ tool in Designer.

BobHill
01-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Jeff,

Obviously you don't want to use the Cut Path tool when you are using a sled or the Z axis is going to believe you want to go completely through the sled and will measure accordingly. Not good. You can, of course assign a bit and it's depth to that of the wood you wish to cut out, and properly as you did, you make manual tabs so the inside won't move at any time the bit it turning. Also remember that when you make a sled that's wider than your wood and you don't have a side matching the wood to be cut in height (as well as your end 3˝" pieces also matching in height) yout bit won't be able to establish your proper surface.

Bob

Jeff_Birt
01-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Bob, having a fixture wider than the stock caused no problems. It properly measuerd the width of the stock and could find the surface just fine. The error occured after it found the surface and came back towards the front of the machine and does the up-down routine in free space.