PDA

View Full Version : Jigs for holding small parts

kp2577
01-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I have just gotten me CarveWright system and have created a few pieces out of scraps that have been in the woodshop. My mind is racing with all the different types of things I can do with it!

I would like to start carving some small parts that would be less than 3 inches square and anywhere from 1/4" to 1" thick. I will be using exotic woods, so really do not want to add in all the extra wood that the machine needs to keep the workpiece under the rollers.

Does anyone have any drawings, templates, or project files for these types of jigs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Kevin

BobHill
01-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Kevin,

Use cheap wood, but think of your CarveWright minimums and make it to those dimensions so your working wood will fit on top.

Minimums are: 1½" wide (but I'd make the sled 3" wide), ½" thick, and 7" in length.

Be sure to attach 3½" end pieces the same thickness as the wood you'll be carving. and if your wood is less than the width of your sled (never have it wider than the sled), then also put external sides so your cutting wood fits onto the sled like a baby in a close cradle. If you use, as I do, wood that's precut in length and width (3" x 24") then you'd have a carrier that's 31" long and 3" wide. You can use glue to make your carrier permanent, but you'd also want to tack your working wood to the carrier and I use Avery Glue Stick (which is a wax base) which is good for short term work, If you leave it too long it'll also be hard to remove the parts. DO NOT USE double sided carpet tape as it's just too strong, especially if your parts are very small and the wood is something like basswood or balsa. Scotch brand double side take works pretty well though.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Jeff_Birt
01-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I just posted a picture of a fiture I made, similar to what Bob described.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3178#3178

BobHill
01-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Jeff,

The lion might be a bit small, but certainly the maze should cut very nicely.

Bob