PDA

View Full Version : Weather Update

lynnfrwd
02-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Houston is being stopped dead in their tracks due to the threat of 1-4" of snow and ice. (That's 1 to 4, not 14!)

No, we haven't gotten any snow yet, but even the threat of it closes down all of our schools and businesses. Therefore, we will be working with a minimal staff tomorrow and some of us will be working from home. Try the forum first, then email and then phone calls, if you need assistance. No orders will be shipping tomorrow as UPS is closed down, as well. We will have access to process patterns and software purchases.

OK, you northerners (and that is pretty much all of you) stop laughing at us, we are just simply not prepared for this stuff! I don't even own an ice scraper and not sure that I ever have! My shovel has never picked up anything that wasn't brown like dirt or a dead squirrel.

Stay warm my friends!

mtylerfl
02-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Sounds like a bunch of "sissies" there. Just kidding!! I'm the BIGGEST sissy when it comes to cold weather! Lived in Phoenix, then moved to the Gulf Coast of Florida, now on the southernmost part of Coastal Geargia...I do NOT like cold weather, nor do I cope with it well either!

Houston is being stopped dead in their tracks due to the threat of 1-4" of snow and ice. (That's 1 to 4, not 14!)

No, we haven't gotten any snow yet, but even the threat of it closes down all of our schools and businesses. Therefore, we will be working with a minimal staff tomorrow and some of us will be working from home. Try the forum first, then email and then phone calls, if you need assistance. No orders will be shipping tomorrow as UPS is closed down, as well. We will have access to process patterns and software purchases.

OK, you northerners (and that is pretty much all of you) stop laughing at us, we are just simply not prepared for this stuff! I don't even own an ice scraper and not sure that I ever have! My shovel has never picked up anything that wasn't brown like dirt or a dead squirrel.

Stay warm my friends!

LeatherMan
02-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Now that makes me LLLOOOLLL!!! I haven't been able to stop shoveling since December!

Wells, Maine

Kenm810
02-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Several years ago we moved down to a warmer climate in South East Michigan,
up in North West Michigan where I'm originally from we had 10 months of Winter
and about 4 weeks of Poor Sleding.
Summer always came on the first weekend of August and if you had to work, -- ya missed it
and had to wait till next year for it to come around again.

Ducky63
02-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Ken that picture looks like here in Iowa. Our schools were out for 2 days this week. Here where I live we had 10" of snow but also had 30 to 40 mile per hour winds to go along with it. Oh Lynn I could send you an ice scaper if that would help you. Oh this morning we were -11 degrees but we have had -21 degrees already this winter with wind so wind chill is alot colder. Keep warm & safe.

atauer
02-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Okay guys.

We got a pretty good layer of ice last night. Most of the office is out, simply because the DOT has the roads shut down because of the icy conditions. A few scragglers, myself included, managed to make it into the office, but again, as Lynn said, we are severely understaffed today. Your best bet for assistance would be the forum first, then phone calls and emails.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

dbfletcher
02-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Okay guys.

We got a pretty good layer of ice last night. Most of the office is out, simply because the DOT has the roads shut down because of the icy conditions. A few scragglers, myself included, managed to make it into the office, but again, as Lynn said, we are severely understaffed today. Your best bet for assistance would be the forum first, then phone calls and emails.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Glad you made it in ok. But it is so NOT worth risking life or limb to be able to answer our silly questions! Very few things are so important they cant wait a few days. Be carful on you journey back home!

atauer
02-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Glad you made it in ok. But it is so NOT worth risking life or limb to be able to answer our silly questions! Very few things are so important they cant wait a few days. Be carful on you journey back home!

I don't know why the media down here is blowing this thing out of proportion. The roads were fine when I left at 8:30 this morning. I didn't have a single problem on my way in.

dbfletcher
02-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I don't know why the media down here is blowing this thing out of proportion. The roads were fine when I left at 8:30 this morning. I didn't have a single problem on my way in.

Well thats a different story then. Get to work!!! answer those phones!!!!

RMarkey
02-04-2011, 11:06 AM
While I was coming in, I kept wondering why people were taking u-turns on the overpasses... It was so they could face the right direction again.

lynnfrwd
02-04-2011, 11:21 AM
The news just said we will refreeze again tonight and that tomorrow we will have temperatures that will reach the 60's. That's Texas weather for you.

Common saying around here: "If you don't like Texas weather; just give it about 10 minutes and it will change."

Old Salt
02-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Was ask on West coast "just how cold is -21 in IA" told him "you can't put your tougue on your fillings".

Kenm810
02-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I seem to remember a bit of Texas weather, being something like that one winter in the 60’s,
while I was working at Brooke Army Hospital at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.
There were several times that the temps were below freezing with ice at night and up to the 70’s or 80’s the next day.
Another odd thing I recall, while I was there -- although I’m sure it’s not always true,
it never rained untill after 10:00 pm and always stopped before 6:00 am.

lynnfrwd
02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
it never rained untill after 10:00 pm and always stopped before 6:00 am.

LOL! Are you sure that wasn't a water sprinkler outside your bedroom window?!

atauer
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
lol. It took me almost an hour and a half to get to work today. Half of that was thawing out my car so I could drive it...

badger2424
02-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Hey Ken, Thats golfing weather you're thinking of, play all day and rain all night. Think I need to move.

fwharris
02-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Spent 2 years in Gulf Port Ms. thought it was hilarious to watch people try to drive on the coastal high way when it iced over. Saw more cars on the beach than the road! They had no fear of going the speed limit but a lot of big eyes and dirty pants when it came time to stop!!!!

Ducky63
01-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Our weather for today was 7.1" of snow. Started about 5:00 AM & stoped about 4:00 PM. Now we can say winter is here.

CarverJerry
01-20-2012, 09:53 PM
I"m just south of Cleveland Ohio and we're just starting to get hit with that snow, they are calling for near 6" tonight........I think I'll go put my bathing suit on and go out side in the snow......Oh did I say I'll also be in my 103° Hot Tub.....:)

gregsolano
01-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I have a big art sale this weekend so thank god there is no snow here, I am doing the late night finish my projects cause I should have done them earlier dance.

Ducky63
01-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi Jerry! Well if U were here this morning U better be in a hot tub because it is only -15 degrees out there, so a good day to stay in shop & work on a roll around cabinet for my Sand-Flee machine that I bought for $ 50.00 plus got over $ 100.00 of sanding paper for it. They say rain, freezing rain, & snow tomorrow. Have a great week-end.

Capt Bruce
01-21-2012, 09:23 AM
I"m just south of Cleveland Ohio and we're just starting to get hit with that snow, they are calling for near 6" tonight........I think I'll go put my bathing suit on and go out side in the snow......Oh did I say I'll also be in my 103° Hot Tub.....:)

Hi Jerry,
And that would be just why I bailed out of Wellington, OH back in 2001. It will be in the high 60's here in Atlanta but we're getting drowned with all the rain we missed last Summer. I don't think even a hottub could make me want to go outside today so a great day for carving and some project finishing tasks while the machines are humming along in stereo. Shovel carefully up there Buckeye.