PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your wood?

Jonny
02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm curious - where do people get their wood, how much do they pay, and what's your most popular species?

The lumberyard that my family has dealt with for 30 years closed their doors recently, and I'm really scrambling to find another good source. The few retail places that will sell it want like $8.00 bd/ft for walnut, cherry, etc., and about $3.00 a bd/ft for hickory.

So far hickory has been my best carving wood - insane hard and almost zero 'fuzzies' in detailed objects.

AskBud
02-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Here is my Amish wood source in Bellefontaine Ohio.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/Hochstetler%20flyer.pdf

eelamb
02-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Hmmm the kid down the road brings it to me and stacks it for 35 per rick.

Most of the time I get mine at auctions. Last batch was a stack of 4/4 walnut (rough) 10 wide, 16" tall 10' length for $50.

Capt Bruce
02-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I used to deal with a similar supplier just south of Wellington, Ohio for furniture grade woods when I lived up there some 10 years ago. They even slabbed out some cherry logs for me and I have a fair amount of that wood left in my workshop down here. Used a few of those boards for my Grandson's cradle below. Too many years ago to recommend them as a current supplier but there were several up there about two hours North of you.

41850 41849

I'll have to try some Hickory when I can find some.

Smoken D
02-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Mill just around 8 miles from where I live. Mostly oak, maple, hickory, walnut. Pay .80 cents bf for oak and maple. Got him after he cut up 1000 bf of walnut and had not stacked it yet so he gave me $1 bf. Mill just North of Warsaw, Missouri.

pkunk
02-23-2011, 10:16 PM
As I'm a cabinetmaker, I have several suppliers that deliver from 160 miles away to my shop. I only have to order $250 worth to get free delivery. I get wholesale pricing, free delivery-I don't get to pick my boards. most of my carving wood is just scrap from the business. What will I do when i retire? I dunno.....I'm 68 and can't afford to retire.

Ike
02-23-2011, 10:39 PM
As I'm a cabinetmaker, I have several suppliers that deliver from 160 miles away to my shop. I only have to order $250 worth to get free delivery. I get wholesale pricing, free delivery-I don't get to pick my boards. most of my carving wood is just scrap from the business. What will I do when i retire? I dunno.....I'm 68 and can't afford to retire.

Sounds like JE Higgins, they used to have a store in Reno NV., but like many stores they closed that store and the closest location is Sacramento Ca. I need to go to the coast and restock on my old growth redwood. Like you not being affording to retire I can't afford any redwood at this time!

Ike

chkorte
02-23-2011, 10:52 PM
I’m lucky, I have lots of rough cut available around me, oak, maple, cedar, birch, black walnut, hickory and others. A year ago I bought a building full of rough cut oak, maple and cherry, about 10,000 board feet. Some of the nicest maple I’ve ever seen. Hopefully I should be set for a while.

Ike
02-23-2011, 10:54 PM
I’m lucky, I have lots of rough cut available around me, oak, maple, cedar, birch, black walnut, hickory and others. A year ago I bought a building full of rough cut oak, maple and cherry, about 10,000 board feet. Some of the nicest maple I’ve ever seen. Hopefully I should be set for a while.
Wow I am jealous!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
02-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Capt. Bruce,

Excellent Woodworking Skills...

I have posted the pictures below before... I want to build a Solar Kiln and use 2 Solar Attic Fans that my Brother gave me to circulate the air when the sun is shining. I have a bunch of Sliding Glass Doors.......

I am still buying wood from a sawmill near me but I would love to have the time to make some serious Sawdust with my Bandmill. There is a new Gas Pipeline going in on our property next year, next to one from 1955 to handle the Gas Drilling in my area. They will be cutting a bunch of hardwood and softwood into logs for me. Should be interesting....

This was 2 wind blown logs trees that hung up for a year... Once they finally dropped I made short work of them with my converted boat trailer and mill.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
02-23-2011, 11:42 PM
I Quartered the logs by making one length Wise cut then plywood it back together. Later I set up my Quartering Jig...

AL

Deolman
02-24-2011, 02:04 AM
I can only shake my head at some of the values you guys come up with. I live in a desert and I don't think sagebrush qualifies for wood. I did come across a good deal last year on oak. I picked up 360 BF for $350.00. I got 6'-7' lengths from 2" to 1' in widths all in 4/4's. I wasn't able to do much with it last year, but I will be putting in new kitchen cabinets for my wife this year. I keep my eyes open hoping and looking for a small amount of cherry, birch or walnut.

Capt Bruce
02-24-2011, 05:11 AM
OK Al it's official,
I want you to adopt me! That's one serious rig you've put together with your converted trailer, ramps and your band saw mill. Sheer envy here and looks like you are set to be able to really handle logs. When I had to have 2 serious Oak trees removed in my back yard the only firms I could find here in the Atlanta metro area both charged for and claimed the wood. It was all going to become firewood I'm sure, the way they chopped it up. That hurt me both ways because I hated to see the lumber go away and I had no way to process it myself.
Enjoy your set up Sir and thanks for showing us (envy, envy). Awaiting the adoption paperwork.

lawrence
02-24-2011, 07:50 AM
I buy my mesquite from a local sawyer and the bulk of the rest of my wood I get from Woodworker's source
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/
I have a local store so I pay a bit less but when I lived in San Angelo I used their shipped method and was very satisfied

Lawrence

DurhamDev
02-24-2011, 08:28 AM
I buy MDF from Home Depot. I'm so ashamed.

;);)

cnsranch
02-24-2011, 08:49 AM
What will I do when i retire? I dunno.....I'm 68 and can't afford to retire.

Paul - you're doing what most of us want to do when WE retire!

Icutone2
02-24-2011, 09:45 AM
These are the slabs from last years saw fest Hard maple. I have red oak to do now, never thought that I would find the trees that I have.
The little ones are American cherry, just got 2 more 18"x 6' of ash, can't wait for the weather to change so I can start to cut then up.
Lee

pkunk
02-24-2011, 10:19 AM
So Off topic but here's the latest kitchen for a neighbor's new house. Alder with a dark cherry stain.42504

skeeterman
02-24-2011, 10:50 AM
dont know if its my computer or the sight but all the atachments that has been posted on this thread shows up as invalid attatchment
steve

Kenm810
02-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Check with lynnfrwd (http://forum.carvewright.com/member.php?5551-lynnfrwd) a lot of "invalid attatchment" reports have been posted for quite a while now.

JDPratt
02-24-2011, 11:12 AM
The majority of my wood comes from lumber suppliers in OKC. I get wholesale prices because of how much I buy. I can get pretty much any species I desire although sometimes I have to special order. Normally I can get Walnut and Cherry at about $4.50bf and Oak at about $2.00bf. Some other woods like Zebra, bloodwood, purple heart run about $9.00bf. In any given month I go through about 600-1000 bf of cherry and walnut.

fwharris
02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Sadly to say my sources for wood is mainly the big box stores and you know how limited they are on wood selections. Pine, oak, poplar are the main stock with some maple. Also have cedar and redwood that is for fences and decks. Lowe's has started caring alder and have used some for a few carvings. Softer wood and has move detail sanding to do with it but does look good with several types of stain. I also have a plywood shop that sells there better wood hard wood types but their prices are at a premium.

Those that live in WOOD COUNTRY (lucky dogs) and have listed their sources make me want to find a good trailer and go on a road trip!

Ike
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
All the attachments can't be seen because the user used insert inline. Using done is the correct way so we all can see the attachments! Higgens was my source http://www.higlum.com/ plus Wood Craft stores have quite a bit of different material at a premium price!

Ike

Kenm810
02-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Nope, not yet Sorry

Capt Bruce
02-24-2011, 05:04 PM
None of the attachments on this page since Al Who's set are visible. Invalid attachments it seems.

Digitalwoodshop
02-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Rats.... Sucked up all the Photons....

Tomorrow I will try removing all the pictures.... I mean today... almost 1 AM.... Later today... I have more Tags to Print now.... Almost done with the BIG project....

That will tell us if something changes based on the Photons being sucked up by me....

AL

liquidguitars
02-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Here in southern California we have a local hardwood stores. But lately i been getting my maple direct from Oregon and have it delivered.

Al, if you ever get some clear spruce with a tight grain let me know..

Digitalwoodshop
02-25-2011, 11:23 AM
I deleted the pictures, see if the Photons want to come out to play.... I get the X box too on the later posts...

AL

Icutone2
02-25-2011, 01:28 PM
OK Ike I think I got it now.

Icutone2
02-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Pics of Hard Maple before cutting it up. And some Cherry logs I found.
Pick of the saw mill from Harbor Frt. with a little paint job.
Lee

liquidguitars
02-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Nice work guys!

atauer
02-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Most of the stuff I use is pine that we get through pretty much any big box store.

There is a pallet of mixed wood that one of the engineers brought it and its all rough sawn. If there is a special project that I want to do, I have been know to resaw some of it to what I need.

I have gotten several good pieces of mahogany from the pallet. Now, to find time to actually complete a special project.

Icutone2
02-25-2011, 04:33 PM
I know what you mean atauer, my better half sees new kitchen cabinets in my wood piles.
Lee

bjbethke
02-25-2011, 06:01 PM
I purchased my lumber from local saw mills before I purchased my CW machine. We had a bad Ice storm in January 2009 and I purchased a small Band Saw Mill.

The Guy and his son that trimmed our trees have been bringing me logs to cut into lumber. They have been burning the logs to get rid of them and asked me if I could use them, I said yes. They bring them over at no charge.

Ike
02-25-2011, 06:11 PM
I am so jealous of Lee, Al and BJ! I wish I had my own saw mill! I would love to be able to cut my own redwood! A friend told me about his sister who own some property near Eureka Ca. and had 4 old growth redwood trees. She sold the 4 for $2000.00 for her drug money! $2000.00 for 4 full size old growth redwood, I felt sick after hearing the story!

Ike

lilskip
02-25-2011, 06:42 PM
I primaryly work in red cedar (got hooked on the smell). I get it back home in TN from Grants Cedar Mill (http://www.grantcedarmill.com/grantcedarmill_002.htm)just outside of lebanon TN, The prices are great there thats why i drive the 8hrs from beaufort SC to get it a couple times a year. All my other Hardwoods I get from another Mill in Weaverly TN that is owned by a family friend and he'll cutt anything i need, with a good enough price it makes it well worth the trip to get. The only other place i get my lumber is at Georgia Hardwoods (http://www.gahwd.com/default.aspx) just east of Atlanta GA, They have pretty good prices and they give a military discount and have always treated me real fair. Either way its a drive for me cause everyone down here close to me in South Carolina think that there lumber is made of gold i guess. I mean really who wants to pay 6.50 a bft for Oak. haha So if anyone has any connections aroung here in SC or Northeast GA please let me know..... As for the portable saw mill i would love one but the wifes says I have to many toys as it is.

MikeON
02-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Here's how I get my wood. The mill is a Woodmizer LT40 Superhydraulic diesel. Also have a small Woodmizer single blade edger, and Nyle dehumidier kiln. The deuce and a half will soon have a 5,000 lb Autocrane for picking up the logs.

TIMCOSBY
03-01-2011, 11:57 AM
you can do a google search for "forestry forum" they have a link where you can find someone in your area that has a small mill that you can get wood from.

TIMCOSBY
03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
here you go. http://www.forestryforum.com/datasearch.html

Capt Bruce
03-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Good morning Gang,

I've followed this thread with great interest and thought you might all enjoy this link to an illustrated tour of the Hull-Oakes steam powered saw mill. It taught me quite a bit about what is involved long before I buy that board. Enjoy the virtual visit! (insert smiley face here in your mind):D

http://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/HullOaks.htm (http://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/HullOaks.htm)